Thank you Wolfgang and Seyed for your replies. I tested it on another PC
where dealii was installed using the candi script. The eclipse parallel run
was successful for step 40. So I uninstalled my installations of p4est
petsc and dealii and reinstalled using candi without changing any
configurations in eclipse.

The only roadblock I faced initially and the procedure followed is this:

a) to run the candi script on 16.04, I had to force the platform as follows:
./candi.sh
--platform=./deal.II-toolchain/platforms/supported/ubuntu15.platform -j2

b) Using the candi script to install on 16.04 will ask for prerequisties to
be installed of which the following two were not found.
libblas3gf liblapack3gf

These two I was able to install by searching for
"lapack" and "blas" in synaptic and installing everything I thought
relevant.

c)Then hit enter and continue as usual.
The eclipse parallel run was successful.

I think there was some mistake that was made while installing the softwares
individually.
Also, please excuse me for marking my own answer as the best answer. But I
guess this might help someone.

Regards,
Kartik Jujare