Rebuilt the library in Release mode but, unfortunately, still get the same
error about not being able
to open deal_II.g.lib. That lib is still over 2.6 GB in Release mode if, in
fact, the size is the problem.
I am building in 64-bit mode, as recommended, by the way.

At this point, I assume I have no options about building on Windows?

Can't say I wasn't warned about this capability being "experimental."