Dear Bhanu,

As Bruno said, the geometry of a triangulation and ordering of degrees of
freedom on a cell are not connected. There are numerous functions that can
help you determine which solution component any local degree of freedom is
associated with. There are numerous example of this in the tutorials but
what you'd typically be looking for is this one
<https://www.dealii.org/8.5.0/doxygen/deal.II/classFiniteElement.html#a27220a135402b96c7e6eecbb04acda56>,

namely

fe.system_to_component_index(i).first

where "i" denotes the i-th local degree of freedom on a cell. There's also
a handy table sitting in a comment on the github repository
<https://github.com/dealii/dealii/issues/3646#issuecomment-263506872> that
might provide some further help on how to interpret the output from this
function.

However, in your example you assume that the support points and the
vertices coincide. This is in fact a special case (e.g. with FE_Q(1)
elements) that can be handled with another function, namely
vertex_dof_index()
<https://www.dealii.org/8.5.0/doxygen/deal.II/classDoFAccessor.html#a5560151b5407e4851d5c1009c7753764>.

The are numerous posts on the forum
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/dealii/vertex_dof_index%7Csort:relevance>

discussing how to use this function, so I won't repeat those explanations
here.

I hope this helps you further.

Kind regards,
J-P