On 05/31/2017 01:31 PM, 'Seyed Ali Mohseni' via deal.II User Group wrote:
Dear Thomas,

I already run the example with uniform mesh, hence global refinement with 0 refinement cycles. The problem is, a specimen with 100 or 1000 elements is difficult to check due to the terminal output being flooded.

This I understand, but you could write everything into a file ...

I could just output the result for one element, but then wheres the difference.

See below.

Don't you ever do some simple FE patch examples?

Never. Because simply the theory of finite elements tell you that the discretization error is so huge
that any result is nearly meaningless.

If I am interested in stress values or the stress tensor, but I am not sure if this will help you or if you are interested, is to compute typical quantities of interest.
That is not only a point-wise stress, but for example a line integral:

\int_{part of boundary} \sigma\cdot n \ds.

Or indeed you compute the stress in a specific point in the domain
but really using more than one element.

Many examples and benchmarks for elasticity and plasticity and also quantities
of interest (goal functionals) are given in the book:

http://eu.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-0471496502.html

For instance two examples from this book with point values of stresses (e.g., \sigma_yy), again on more than one element, are provided in the deal-DOpElib library, see pages 42 - 45 on

http://wwwopt.mathematik.tu-darmstadt.de/dopelib/description_full.pdf

Best Thomas

Kind regards,
S. A. Mohseni
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "deal.II User Group" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dealii+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com <mailto:dealii+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>.

Dr. Thomas Wick
Maitre de conferences / Assistant Professor

Centre de Mathematiques Appliquees (CMAP)
Ecole Polytechnique
91128 Palaiseau cedex, France

Email:  thomas.w...@cmap.polytechnique.fr
Phone:  0033 1 69 33 4579