Thanks,

I did try looking at the documentation for FEValuesViews::Vector
<http://www.dealii.org/8.5.0/doxygen/deal.II/classFEValuesViews_1_1Vector.html><

dim, spacedim >::hessian(const unsigned int shape_function, const unsigned
int q_point)  before coming here, and all it provides is

"Return the Hessian (the tensor of rank 2 of all second derivatives) of the
vector components selected by this view, for the shape function and
quadrature point selected by the arguments."

I looked in fe_values.h to see if it was commented in the implementation
and all that I see there is

  hessian_type return_value;
  for (unsigned int d=0; d
<http://www.dealii.org/8.5.0/doxygen/deal.II/namespacePhysics_1_1Elasticity_1_1Kinematics.html#a15728437b942dab0b0042eb06a407d2c>
<dim; ++d
<http://www.dealii.org/8.5.0/doxygen/deal.II/namespacePhysics_1_1Elasticity_1_1Kinematics.html#a15728437b942dab0b0042eb06a407d2c>
)
    if (shape_function_data[shape_function].
is_nonzero_shape_function_component[d])
       return_value[d]
         = fe_values->finite_element_output.shape_hessians[
shape_function_data[shape_function].row_index[d]][q_point];

which I'm not quite sure how to parse. The comments in the header file only
say "same as for the scalar case except that we have one more index." (the
added index is d).

This is why I brought my question here.