On 09/13/2017 09:12 AM, Zhibo Luo wrote:

I encountered a problem recently when I refine and coarse mesh. I know the material id is inherited from mother to child cell upon mesh refinement. But what is the rules when coarsening the mesh? For example, in 2D, I have four neighbored cells which have different material ids, then what is the material id when these four cells are combined into one cell? what I should do if I want to coarsening the cells with the same material id?

It's just the same value as you set before you refined the cell originally.

When you refine cells, the children are new and we need a rule what their material_ids should be. But when you coarsen these children again, then the mother cell you get has been there all along -- so we need no rule what material_id it should get, it just retains the material_id it has always had.