Hello Professor,

Thanks a lot for your earlier answers. I implemented all the details and it
works like a charm.

I still have a few questions that I want to ask. The questions also have
solutions/suggestions.
Sorry for being too verbose. Also, I am not sure if this should be a
separate post so I am adding it to this thread.

1.  My problem involves the mesh movement in every time step. But with
adaptive mesh refinement and automatic repartitioning, I found that the
mesh becomes non-conforming, even when the displacements that I add to the
mesh are conforming (I call hanging node constraints . distribute to make
displacements conforming on the new mesh). I read this post
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/dealii/mesh$20refinement$20move$20%7Csort:relevance/dealii/HGnGKX8Gbo0/6BtK6pg8vKcJ

<ttps://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/dealii/mesh$20refinement$20move$20%7Csort:relevance/dealii/HGnGKX8Gbo0/6BtK6pg8vKcJ>

It says that the instead of mesh movement with conforming displacements,
store the coordinates of the mesh, then interpolate the mesh coordinates
using solution transfer like other vectors, and then set the coordinates of
the new mesh to this "transferred mesh coordinate vector". This works for
me. The new mesh is conforming. But I dont understand why this works? I
also tried the note
https://www.dealii.org/8.5.0/doxygen/deal.II/classparallel_1_1distributed_1_1Triangulation.html#a247598f1323a9f847832e60d6c840469
 but
even this did not work.

2. I want to apply boundary conditions on my domain. Lets say that the
domain is rectangular and I am solving for displacements on this domain. I
want to fix dofs that correspond to bottom left corner (x and y both
fixed), and "x dof" on  bottom right corner  is fixed. Without AMR, I get
the 3 dofs by looping over cells and even when the mesh  moves, the dofs
are the same. But now, with AMR, the mesh moves as well the dofs are
changed.
So, I want to ask that is there any way I can know, the map from the
vertex/dof in the old configuration to the vertex/dof in the new
configuration.  Configuration here refers to mesh+dofs before and after
refinement.

The earlier way of looping over cells and comparing coordinates to fix the
correponding dofs will not work as the mesh moves with time. One way could
be that I store the coordinates to be fixed and update that with time as
well but I want to know if there is a map that can tell me that dof no.
"45" in the old mesh is dof no "145" in the new mesh where the mapping is
based on physical coordinates of the mesh.

3. This is most important question of all (for me :), pardon me if I am
unable to explain this well). Uptil now I have seen and understood how to
transfer smooth/continuous solutions from old mesh to new refined mesh.
These solution vector just have the properties that either they are
continuous through out or inside the elemen and the dofs value at the
hanging nodes depends on these constraints only.

*However, *think of situation where the constraint is that the sum of all
nodal dofs have to be constant plus there is only one value at the nodes
for elements sharing the vertex (unlike discontinuous Galerkin).
For example, take a single 1d element with continuous linear shape
functions. This single element is now refined to prduce a total of 2
elements.
In such a case, we cannot say that the value at the hanging node (middle
one) is just the average of the value at the end nodes of the
single element to begin with.

Now one may ask, where does such a situation arises? Think of that one
element (2 after refining), as the boundary of the 2d domain/elements and a
are discretized, you get some discrete nodal traction dofs vector at the
nodes -- the sum which is equal to the total force applied. Now, think that
you donot know the loading function and this nodal vector with this
property (sum = total force applied = constant) is given and the mesh is
refined. In this scenario we cannot say that the value at the center node
is the average of the two end nodes.

Example:  in 1d with constant loading function such that total force = F,
the nodal value of traction dof vector is F/2, F/2 on both nodes. Now, with
the new mesh with 2 elements of equal length, this becomes, F/4 (left
node), 2F/4 (center node), F/4 (right node).  However, if we simply
interpolate the solution, we get F/2, F/2, F/2 on the 3 nodes, and this
increases the total force on the system. With each refinement this gets
worse.
(When I said that everything works like a charm, I am doing traction free
case, so such a problem is not there for this case :) )

For my case, the loading is not given but comes from the solution of
another differential equation. Now, I think that the interpolation of such
a vector based on continuity is not well suited. (Please correct me if I am
wrong).
I would like to know how such a vector can be interpolated after
refinement. (Of course, 1 trivial solution is to never refine the cells on
the boundary).

Thanks a lot for your attention.