Dear David,

> So my first question is: Can I do it like this or is there a simpler way
of doing it?
I can't really comment on this. Hopefully someone with more experience than
me will chip in.

> And the second question is: How can I access this sort of Information?
The area might for example be computed using the norm of a cross product.
But I am not sure how to get the two vectors for this operation.
You might want to check this
function:
http://dealii.org/developer/doxygen/deal.II/classTriaAccessor.html#a07891adb63b1629ef34bf285d1b70af2

I would recommend you read carefully the description of the function before
using it, mainly for curved domains.

Bests,
Lucas