The problem in the thread you cited is for 3D. I am happy to update our
disclaimer for the class.

I am just saying that our statement:

   "For the moment, it is safe to use the element on globally refined
   meshes with consistent orientation of faces."

with the addition "in 2D" and for "lowest and second order" is true :-)

The problem is with cells that have non-standard face orientation. This can't happen in 2d, but it happens for some complex 3d meshes. It's so difficult to debug these issues because the meshes need to be sufficiently complicated that drawing pictures is no longer possible...