Stephanie,

To me it seems that your meshes of the cubes and the cylinders are
completely unrelated. However the merge_triangulations() function will only
merge coincident nodes of the respective meshes. So, in your case no nodes
will be merged. If you want to make your example work with non-coincident
meshes, you will have to implement constraints tying the relevant dofs
together manually (which is quite awkward). But for your example I think
it's more reasonable to make sure that the relevant nodes of your parts
coincide. If it was just one cylinder shell (or 4 of them) I would say you
can make up something combining GridGenerator::cylinder(),
GridGenerator::cylinder_shell() and
GridGenerator::hyper_cube_with_cylindrical_hole(). But as there are three
cylinder shells it's probably easiest to use an external grid generator
like gmsh to mesh the whole thing at once and import the mesh afterwards.
As a starting point I guess tutorial step 49 might be very helpful for you:
https://www.dealii.org/current/doxygen/deal.II/step_49.html

I hope that gives you an idea.

Regards, Sebastian