It is working!

The mistake I did was to open an interactive job and run the executables
through bash. When I instead submitted a job, and executed using aprun
(Cray's equivalent to mpirun) to run the executables, they ran
successfully. I tested step-1, step-18 and my own code too. The
installation tests will probably not run though, since they are actually
makefile targets.

I apologise for being irresponsible and hasty in the previous couple of
messages. I thank everyone for helping me and hearing me out when I was all
by myself. I will also post a summary of the installation process.