This has nothing to do with DEAL_II_WITH_GMSH. That feature is only
required if you use functionality from the Gmsh namespace
(https://www.dealii.org/developer/doxygen/deal.II/namespaceGmsh.html).
The error message

The violated condition was:
    in
Additional information:
    An input/output error has occurred.

occurs when the .msh file is not found. Does the file exist in the
current folder?

--
Timo Heister
http://www.math.clemson.edu/~heister/