Alberto,
my suspicion would be that you are computing terms for the interface matrix that are not part of the sparsity pattern of the Trilinos matrix. (PETSc does not require you to say up front where the nonzero entries of the matrix are going to be, if I recall correctly.)

This can happen because for "normal" CG methods, you only get entries in the matrix if DoFs i,j are located on the same cell. But for methods that contain jump terms on the interfaces, you also get contributions for DoFs i,j located on different cells (and not necessarily at the face you're integrating over). Take a look at how step-47 builds its sparsity pattern.