After removing *CMakeCache.txt* and *CMakeFiles* folder in
/examples/step-40, I can compile and run it, both within deal.II app
terminal and with a common terminal.

One last thing: are the steps I described above  (.dmg + cloning) the usual
way to install dealii with MacOS? It seems to me like if I installed the
library twice.

Thanks again,
Lukas