I'm hoping for some advice and/or pointers to existing code for the
following:
Also please point out any patently stupid strategising - I'm a medic and
this is a hobby project so I've got very no prior experience, and my
description is sounding worrying like a Masters thesis proposal...

My Q is: is it likely to be feasible/sensible to use deal.II to analyse
stress during 3D printing within a resin bath, and to use it to dynamically
add support structures or modify printing parameters (eg speed which the
actively built face is pulled off the printing face) to avoid excessive
traction force and print failure.
This sounds to me like something perfect for FEA although I was wondering
whether openFoam might be a more dynamic option (I am only starting to look
at software options so I have barely scratched the surface of understanding
FEA potential)?

I think the computing order would be something like 100k elements which
would undergo a single state change during the simulation (see below why I
think this is reasonable).

I'm assuming the most efficient way would be to start with the fully formed
model, and calculate load over a smallish cube(eg 1mm). If this was near a
failure threshold then subdivide it, otherwise it and it's neighbors were
all well below that threshold then merge them, repeating until either
individual voxels were being considered (potentially the highest resolution
would be sub-50micron voxels), and group other voxels into larger
collections which could be treated as a single element.
>From this simplification then calculate forces transmitted through each
element and check it didn't exceed the adhesion to surrounding elements. If
threshold was exceeded then add stress relieving support (using various
stereotyped rules eg "create an I-beam directly to the baseplate"). Keep
repeating until a sub-threshold state had been reached for the entire
model, then slice off a layer and repeat (effectively reversing the
printing process) until the base plate had been reached.
The reverse slicing loop is required because each layer will transmit
different forces through the underlying structure depending on the total
face adherent to the build surface.
Every print-surface voxel has to to adhere to underlying layers
sufficiently that it *will* be pulled off the active printing face (rather
than remaining attached to the print-surface), and each underlying voxel
has to be able to transmit sufficient force to surrounding voxels and
(ultimately into the baseplate the print starts from) so it *isn't* torn
from it's surrounding attachments.

More detail on this specification:-
A current "consumer grade" high resolution print could have voxels of well
under 50 microns (the highest current consumer resolution has xy resolution
of 35microns and z resolution of 10microns - ie potentially 80k voxels per
cubic mm), and something between 10-100ml final cured volume within a resin
bath which would generally be 1000ml).
That would mean something in excess of 1B (and as many as 100B) voxels to
consider in the unsimplified state.
However significant simplifications should be possible. As voxels are bound
together and stresses fall significantly below threshold then they should
be able to be collectively treated as a single block - so a 1mm cube (or
possibly even larger) could be treated as a single entity (which should be
realistic once a voxel is a reasonable distance from a load bearing trunk
or layer). Using this strategy the overall element count should reasonably
drop by a factor of 10k.
At the more sophisticated level each cured voxel could have somewhat
different properties, but once they were set they wouldn't change, and the
majority of voxels would be uncured resin which would have essentially
identical properties for the entire bath and apart from boundary layers
could be treated as a small number of very large (potentially over 10ml)
blocks with minimal overall impact. I'm also assuming air above the bath
(the printed item is gradually lifted out) could be safely ignored as has
virtually no contribution to overall stress.
Thanks
David