On 4/2/21 8:22 AM, Victor Eijkhout wrote:

It seems to be dealII is unnecessarily picky here. The "debug" and "release" libraries should be compatible. I tried adding a "-D MPI_LIBRARIES=...." flag to cmake but that was ignored. Or misunderstood.

I am no expert on configuration issues and will hope that others will be able to help you in this regard.

That said, it seems quite difficult to describe in the deal.II configuration mechanism that *certain* debug/release versions of MPI libraries are or are not compatible. (Apart from the fact that that is something that one should actually test, rather than just suspect.) The origin of the check comes from the fact that we got frequent reports of people who used PETSc with --with-download-mpi=1 to compiler their PETSc installation, and then used an (incompatible) system-installed MPI version to compile deal.II. The result is a tangle of impenetrable error messages that all do not really help in understanding what the *real* issue was in such situations.

Thus we wrote logic that simply disallows any deviation between MPI libraries used by any of the packages we link together. I think that is still the right choice and my suggestion would be just make sure that your PETSc and deal.II versions really do use the exact same MPI implementation -- mainly because I just can't see any other practical way to write the check in the deal.II configuration mechanism.