Prof. Bangerth,

Thank you for the advice. I've spent some time with step-61 (and step-51 as
well) and I think I understand the distinction between the two classes. I
am using FEFaceValues to assemble the edge term from the interior faces,
and attempting to use FEInterfaceValues to access the values from the cell
face above.

One thing I am still unclear on is if FEInterfaceValues is the best (or
only) way to access the face values of a field on a neighboring cell, or if
this can be done manually. Right now, I'm using an approach like

std::vector<double>
field_at_qpts(sd.fe_interface_values.n_quadrature_points);
sd.fe_interface_values.get_fe_face_values(1).get_function_values(field,
field_at_qpts);

where 'sd' is a typical scratchdata object with an FEInterfaceValues
instance as a class attribute. Is this typically how neighboring data is
accessed for DG-like methods?

Thank you,
Corbin