Thank you Sebestian,

In case someone comes across this thread in the future
It seems that the problem that is being solved in the "Large scale 3D
geomag... <https://library.seg.org/doi/10.1190/geo2015-0013.1>" paper is
different than mine.
The paper's: curl x curl x E + sigma E = J   , sigma > 0
Mine is        : curl x curl x E  - k^2 E  = 0
and because of that it looks Hypre's AMS
<https://hypre.readthedocs.io/en/latest/solvers-ams.html> solver can only
work with problems as given in the paper
Am I correct here?

best,
Abbas