On 6/11/21 4:04 AM, Alex Cumberworth wrote:

To answer the question I posed, I did some more tests and found that refining in the width and height of the beam has no effect on the convergence of the shear force. I went down to just a single division in z and 2 in y (in other words there are just two faces when looking down the end of the beam), and could get the same level of agreement with beam theory with one order of magnitude fewer degrees of freedom. I guess I am still mildly surprised how refined I had to made the x direction, but perhaps if I also used adaptive refinement things would further improve.

You might also want to try quadratic or cubic elements. For smooth solutions, that often does wonders!