My view here is that the problem is quasi-static and hence time serves to order
events. Hence a displacement increment can be viewed as equivalent to the
velocity.

For example, let’s fix the number of time-steps to 10. If the total time is 1s
or 10s we should get the same results (assuming the timing of the application
of loading is scaled based on the assumption that time simply order events).

Best,
Andrew