Dear Dr. Wolfgang,

Thank you very much for the kind reply.

> This is a very difficult operation to do even in sequential computations
> unless you have an analytical description of the boundary. That's because
> in
> principle you would have to compare the current position with all points
> (or
> at least all vertices) on the boundary -- which is very expensive to do if
> you
> had to do it for more than just a few points. The situation does not get
> better if you are in parallel, because then you don't even know all of the
> boundary vertices.

Completely realise and agree.

The only efficient way to do this sort of operation is to solve an eikonal
> equation in which the solution function equals the distance to the
> boundary.
> You can't solve it exactly, and so whatever distance you get is going to
> be a
> finite-dimensional approximation of the exact distance function.

I have got a basic idea of the equation from Wikipedia. Can you kindly also
point me to any references which describe its numerical solution technique? I
have no background in mathematics, so I have difficulty in understanding
any high level content.

Thanks again!