On 4/13/22 22:25, ankit tyagi wrote:
According the the github link, this can happen when using higher order elements. But here it just the visualization of mesh. Is there a way to make the mesh visualization faithful to the actual topology? Why is this problem not visible in eps format?

The description at the link is not complete, this can also happen if (as in step-1/2) you have curved manifolds. I should update the description there.

In order to make the mesh visualization faithful, you'd have to have a way to actually plot edges of the mesh as curved lines. You can do this "sort of" in VTK output (see the DataOut::build_patches() function documentation) but it's still only a quadratic approximation and so the difference between lines at hanging nodes will simply be smaller, but not necessarily zero, if you have non-polynomial mappings. I believe that the GridOut::write_gnuplot() function can also show lines as a number of small line segments. Short of this, no file format I know of can produce a faithful representation.

(About eps: I believe that it also doesn't produce a faithful representation, though the error may be small enough that the issue is not visible.)