Dear Professor,
I am interested in this position. Can I apply directly to you?
Getting three reference letters may be difficult at the moment but I know
my Referees would respond if you contact them directly. So, can I apply
directly to you with my CV and a cover letter only?

Attached is my CV and I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
Chinedu