On 5/6/22 14:54, Corbin Foucart wrote:
*** Caution: EXTERNAL Sender ***

Hello everyone,

I have a discontinuous velocity field composed of FE_DGQ elements; I would like to access a modal representation of the solution coefficients on each element and modify them (e.g., to perform slope limiting).

I was planning on

  * manually constructing the Vandermonde matrix on each element to convert
    the solution representation to a modal one
  * modifying the solution coefficients
  * transforming them back to a nodal representation
  * updating the entries in the global solution vector

Is there a better way of doing this? I want to make sure I'm not reinventing the wheel in the event that this functionality is already implemented.

That seems like a reasonable approach. I believe that there are functions in FETools that already build these transfer matrices assuming there is a modal element that fits what you want to do. You probably want to look at FE_QHierarchical.