Dear Peter,

Thank you for the reply!

The thing is that the input data is a FE_DGQ DoF vector, and I would
rather not project it into FE_Q elements. The original plan was not to
create a separate dummy DoFHandler, but your idea seems like a solution
for my issue.

Still, I'm a bit confused about why FE_DGQ doesn't contain face DoFs.
Is the reason that in this case DoF indices would be different when
looking on either sides of a face?

Regards,
Alexander