Good morning,
I have a doubt regarding the cohesive zone model that I can't solve and I
hope that someone can help me.

I read that the so-called separation "delta" represents the separation
between the two surfaces of the crack. The traction separation law links
the traction force in the fracture process zone with this separation.

Considering for example a bilinear traction separation law. Whent the
traction is greater than zero, the separation is greater than zero. Does it
mean that the crack surface begins to separate? It seems that the fracture
process is modelled as a gradual process, with the separation between crack
surface monotonicallt increasing untile the final separation is reached
(and the crack grows).

Is this correct?

Thank you for you help.

Kind regards,