On 6/21/23 08:07, 'Jost Arndt' via deal.II User Group wrote:
Linearizing the weak formulation of a product of two functions, i.e. in the original equation the term f*g appears, both f,g are real-valued functions. The weak formulation looks therefore somehow like (f*g, \phi). This term appears implicitly and explicitly (i.e. f,g are sometimes known, sometimes both unknown). I was wondering if there is a tidy version to linearize this in kind of a 3D Tensor? As an example in Tutorial-23 (f,\phi) gets linearized into A * b, A being a Matrix of the products of base functions and b only the parameter vector of f.

Having read over this a number of times, I must admit that I still don't quite understand what you want to do. Can you be more concrete what you want to do, and how? Are you asking what happens when both f and g are finite element functions, and whether one can write
  (f*g, \phi_i)
in a more elegant way?