Hi Lance,
I am not sure if I understand your question correctly, but if you're asking
"Why is there only one division along the z-axis", I believe that is what
you're essentially doing with your code-
"1099     // Divide the beam, but only along the x- and y-coordinate
directions"
"1101     // Only allow one element through the thickness"

Also, in this case, the point cloud looks fine, there are 8 points defining
one cell -> six surfaces per cell.
You have *32*32*1* cells in total.
Regards,
Simranjeet