Thank you, Dr. Bangerth, for the prompt reply.

It took me some time to get around to trying it out. I am unable to figure
out how to compress the vector.
The simple 'history_field.compress(VectorOperation::add);' did not work as
expected. Can you tell me how to use it for type
std::vector<std::vector<TrilinosWrappers::MPI::Vector>>?

Best,
Raghunandan.