In addition to what Wolfgang wrote,
Sometimes the OS will map the cores of a CPU in the following order:
Physical-Logical-Physical-Logical-Physical-Logical etc.
Consequently, if your processor supports hyperthreading through the use of
logical core, running with core 0-1 means you are essentially running on a
single physical core but using two logical cores. For intensive operations
that use the same instruction set, this is generally never a good idea. In
the present case though, since the assembly is fast but not the matrix
solve, I would presume it is more a question of memory lane issues than
anything else. Your CPU might be really memory-bandwith bound.