Hello Daniel,

thanks for your message.

I wrote a statement to check if the cell  exists.

 for (const auto &cell : solid_3d.dof_handler_ref.active_cell_iterators())
  {
//***********************************************************************************************************************************//
        if(cell->at_boundary()){
          continue;
          }//to check whether the cell exists
//**********************filter if the cell is at boundary ,if yes, the cell
iterator  will  move forward*************************************//
//*******otherwise if the cell exists,the cell index will be
calculated*************************************************************//
          const unsigned int cell_index = cell->active_cell_index();

          if (visited_cells[cell_index])
             continue; // Skip if the cell has been visited by its all
neighbors

            // Loop over all degrees of freedom on the current cell
        for (unsigned int i = 0; i < solid_3d.dofs_per_cell; ++i)

      {

        // Loop over all neighboring cells
        for (unsigned int f = 0; f < cell->n_faces(); ++f)
        {
            auto neighbor = cell->neighbor(f);//find the neighbor ,but not
sure if it exists

            if(neighbor->at_boundary())
            continue;//check if the neighbor of cell exists
            int neighbor_index = neighbor->active_cell_index();//get the
global index of the cell if it exists
Best regards
Lance