On 12/8/23 10:40, Johanna Meier wrote:

Is there a way to compute the actual numeric value of dudt.pngĀ at the quadrature points given the solution vector u? My first idea was to use quadratic elements and then just use FEValues.get_function_hessians() with the solution u, which seems to work. I was wondering if it is also somehow possible to use linear elements. For example, when multiplying by a test function w and doing integration by parts on the right hand side to shift one derivative to the test function. Would there be a way to evaluate this new expression to get dudt.png? Or would this then give me w_dudt.png?

To do this, you need to tell us what you need du/dt for, i.e., in which context it appears. If that context has a test function, then yes of course you can integrate by parts. But if you want to output the time derivative as a pointwise value, you don't have a test function.

Generally, I think you're probably going to be better off approximating du/dt based on the current and previous time steps, using some kind of finite differencing in time.