Simon:

attached is a minimal example with 125 dofs, where dofs with indices 0-74
live on proccesor 0 and dofs with indices 75-124 live on processor 1
(two MPI processes).

Consider the following code to loop over the rows of a Trilinos sparsity
pattern:
// make_sparsity_pattern,...
for(unsigned int row = 0; row < dofHandler.n_dofs(); ++row)
{
    if( ! sparsityPattern.row_is_stored_locally(row)) continue;
    auto it = sparsityPattern.begin(row);
    auto itend = sparsityPattern.end(row);
    // do something with the columns
    while(it != itend) { it->column();...}
}

For row=74 on processor 0, there is an error

dealii::TrilinosWrappers::SparsityPatternIterators::Accessor::visit_present_row()
"An error with error number -1 occurred while calling a Trilinos function"

The mentioned Trilinos function is ExtractGlobalRowCopy() and the error number
suggests an access to a row which is not locally owned.
This makes sense to me because
sparsityPattern.end(74) calls visit_present_row(75),
which is indeed not locally owned.

Not sure whether I miss something or this is a bug.

A bug. And a timely one in view of the fact that I have been thinking about exactly this issue recently:
  https://github.com/dealii/dealii/pull/16406
Would you be willing to create a complete example, and open a bug report for this on github?