From: Boyle, Francis
Sent: Tuesday, July 06, 2004 4:12 PM
To: Boyle, Francis; 'Abolish - The Mailing List For People Working to
Abolish the Death Penalty'
Cc: 'Sissel Egeland'; 'nppr...@compar.com'; 'Rick Halperin'
Subject: AI/UAs: Human rights in specific countries

I would like to suggest to everyone on this list  that you pressure AI to
produce a boilerplate UA to be used for EVERYONE being subjected to Lethal
Injection in the United States that it constitutes torture, cruel, inhuman
and degrading treatment, in violation of the Convention against Torture, the
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, the International Covenant on Civil
and Political Rights, etc. that way, in the event there are no "special
circumstances", at least as a matter of principle, we would have an AI UA
for everyone--which I think is very important to do. I realize that staff
and time and resources are in short supply. But still, as a matter of
principle, AI should be able to produce a standard, boilerplate UA for
everyone facing LI in the USA who does not have other special mitigating
circumstances that can be argued. fab, AIUSA Board (1988-92)

Francis A. Boyle
Law Building
504 E. Pennsylvania Ave.
Champaign, IL 61820 USA