July 26

ARKANSAS:

The making of a monster

Though it's a film documenting the personal and emotional struggles within
heavy metal's biggest-selling band, "Metallica: Some Kind of Monster" is
as much about the psychological therapy of acclaimed director Joe
Berlinger as it is of a quartet of rich rock stars.

Like the members of Metallica, the year prior to the making of the film
found Berlinger at a crossroads - on the outs with his filmmaking partner,
Bruce Sinofsky, and wondering if he'd ever work again.

"I was curled up in a ball on the floor of my office depressed and
literally thinking my career was over," says Berlinger. "It sounds
melodramatic, but I was in the depths of depression."

Berlinger's depression was spawned by his experience directing a film that
made most of its audience equally depressed - "Blair Witch 2" (2000), the
follow-up debacle to one of the defining films of the 1990s and a movie
that earned Berlinger arguably the worst reviews of the 2000s.

Still licking his wounds from the bitter "Blair Witch" trials, Berlinger
decided it was time to re-team with Sinofsky and return to their
documentary roots which, a decade before, had heralded them as one of the
promising filmmaking teams of the 1990s on the strength of such films as
"Brother's Keeper" (1992), about a mentally challenged outcast charged
with murdering his sibling; as well as "Paradise Lost" (1996) and
"Paradise Lost 2" (2000), where they followed the case of the West Memphis
Three, which found a trio of small-town teenage boys arrested for the
grisly murders of three children because of their fondness for heavy metal
music - namely that of Metallica.

Moved by the seeming injustice over the conviction of the West Memphis
Three, Metallica lent its music to the "Paradise Lost" soundtrack and,
impressed with the results of the film, opened to the possibility of
filming a Metallica documentary - an idea Berlinger was quick to resurrect
when it seemed his career was in shambles.

"I called (drummer) Lars (Ulrich) up and said, 'Hey Lars, we're having a
bit of a lull right now so before I get sucked into other stuff, is this a
good time to come do a film about you guys?'" Berlinger says. "And he
said, 'Well, (bassist) Jason (Newsted) is thinking about leaving and we've
got this guy coming in who's mediating whether Jason leaves or not. Why
don't you come film that?'"

It would be an understatement to say that Berlinger and Sinofsky arrived
at the band's San Francisco headquarters with the lowest of expectations.

"We initially approached the project as sort of a rock 'n' roll corporate
film," says Sinofsky. "While we always held out hope it would become
something more, we had no idea that Jason's departure was just the
beginning of the changes Metallica was about to go through."

Before they knew what was happening, Berlinger and Sinofsky found
themselves capturing the band's bizarre "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest"
style therapy sessions, the disappearance of singer James Hetfield into
months of drug rehab, and Ulrich's career tarnishing battle with the music
download Web site Napster.

What began as a rockumentary about the making of a new album was morphing
into a film about the tragic dissolution of the most popular band in heavy
metal history.

"It was like the universe was speaking to us," says Berlinger. "And it was
saying, 'You've got to make this film.'"

The Marin IJ spoke with Berlinger about "Some Kind of Monster," his
disastrous "Blair Witch" sequel, and the impending fate of the West
Memphis Three.

Q: With such songs as "Sanitarium" and "The Frayed Ends of Sanity," is it
any surprise that Metallica needed therapy?

A: Exactly. And yet many people hear about it and are saying things like,
"Metallica going through therapy? What a bunch of wimps!"

Q: You began making a promotional film about the recording of the new
Metallica album and ended up with a feature film about a band engaged in
"learning to share" exercises with a performance enhancement coach. At
what point did you realize just how surreal the project was getting?

A: I don't know if it's surreal. They always wanted a more clips-driven
history of the band kind of film. We wanted to do a more personal film and
obviously that's what we ended up doing.

Q: Were all the band members in favor of the making of such a personal
film?

A: Lars was interested in some sort of project. The rest of the guys
weren't thinking that they wanted or even needed a film. James (Hetfield)
in particular. It started when their management thought a clips-driven
movie would be good to market between albums, so while Metallica was in
hiatus they would have something to air, almost like an infomercial to
help sell products.

Q: Were you a Metallica fan prior to working with them?

A: I like these guys and I like their music, but it's not like I'm some
mega fan. I appreciated who they were. But sitting there with these guys
dealing with the same issues Bruce and I were going through as a team was
just incredible. I felt that regardless of where this thing heads or if it
just ends up on some shelf somewhere, just me being here is one of those
incredible moments in my life, because Berlinger and Sinofsky were having
the same issues as Hetfield and Ulrich. It was just really cool.

Q: The bulk of your troubles seemed to stem from "Blair Witch 2." How did
that film turn out so unbelievably bad?

A: It was a total disaster. It was very painful. I had pitched the studio
on doing this edgy adult satire. You know - making fun of the whole idea
of doing a sequel. And everyone agreed that that would be a good approach.
So I wrote a satire, I shot a satire, I delivered a satire. And at the
12th hour the studio lost its will and decided they were going to morph it
into a teen slasher movie. So a very flawed movie was thrown out into the
marketplace.

Q: The reviews were savage. Do you take criticism well?