August 11

INDIA:

Hangman not informed about Dhananjoy's execution date

Hangman Nata Mullick said on Wednesday that he was mentally prepared to
hang the rape and murder convict Dhananjoy Chatterjee on August 14, but
was peeved at not being informed by the authorities about the date of the
hanging.

Mullick, who was put under a round the clock security cover in his south
Kolkata residence, said that he had been confined to his house by security
guards and not allowed to go out.

But till Wednesday morning no official had informed him about the date of
the hanging.

"Since I am going to do such a tough job, I should have been informed well
in advance, but till now I do not have any official intimation. I came to
know about the date from the media", an angry Mulick said.

The West Bengal Government on Tuesday decided to carry out the execution
order of Chatterjee after his mercy plea was rejected by the President a
week ago.

(source: Press Trust of India)

*****************

Family not to collect Dhananjoy's body or witness execution

The family of death row convict Dhananjoy Chatterjee, today said they
would neither witness his scheduled hanging on Saturday nor collect the
body afterwards.

Dhananjoy's father Bangshidhar, who was today officially notifed of the
date of the execution by the Bankura district administration said "we will
not see our son being hanged. We are also not interested in collecting his
body."

Bangshidar, Dhananjoy's mother Belarani, and wife Poornima, have stopped
taking food and water since they learnt of the execution date yesterday,
police said.

Bankura Police Superintendent Anil Kumar, said a watch was being kept on
the family, with policemen deployed around the house.

Dhananjoy had been convicted and sentenced to death for raping and killing
a schoolgirl, Hetal Parekh, at her Bhowanipore residence in the metropolis
in 1990.

(source: The Hindu)