P R E S S    R E L E A S E

from

F L O R I D I A N S   FOR   A L T E R N A T I V E S
                 TO  THE  DEATH  PENALTY   (FADP.org)

CONTACT:  Abe Bonowitz: 800-973-6548

GOVERNOR BUSH MOURNS SCHIAVO, PREPARES TO KILL MENTALLY ILL MAN

As Florida Governor Jeb Bush mourns the passing of Terri Schiavo in the
wake of his personal and extraordinary efforts to keep her alive, the clock
is ticking on another Floridian who is about to receive a state-assisted
suicide.  As the final chapter of the Schiavo saga was heating up a month
ago, Bush signed a death warrant for Glen J. Ocha.  Ocha, who has legally
changed his name to Raven Raven, is a suicidal and mentally ill man who
waived his appeals and is scheduled for execution at 6pm on Tuesday, April
5, 2005 in revenge for his murder of Carol Skjerva.

"I still firmly believe that human life is a gift and a mystery, and that
its mystery is most evident at its beginning and ending.  May all of us
whose hearts were moved during the life of Terri Schiavo grow in wisdom at
its ending," said Governor Bush in a statement sent to the Governor's
e-mail list shortly after Schiavo passed away.

"I certainly hope Governor Bush has gained some wisdom about the value of
life - all life," said Abe Bonowitz, director of Floridians for
Alternatives to the Death Penalty (FADP).  "We hope and pray that he will
now adopt a consistently pro-life policy."

Floridians for Alternatives to the Death Penalty (FADP) calls on Governor
Jeb Bush to reverse himself and stop the state-assisted suicide of Glen
Ocha (pronounced "O'Shea").

Glen Ocha is suicidal and demonstrably mentally ill.  Detailed background
is available at http://www.fadp.org/takeact.html#background

"Suicide-by-Governor is getting very popular in Florida," said FADP
Director Abe Bonowitz, noting that five of the last eight Florida
executions were of prisoners who waived their appeals and asked to be
killed.  So far Governor Bush has overseen the execution of 16 prisoners,
seven of whom have been volunteers.

"Ocha committed a horrible crime and then demanded to be executed.  Once
again Governor Bush is playing into the hands of a convicted murderer who
just wants to die.  Why is it that the only way you can get an assisted
suicide in this state is if you murder someone and go to death row?" asked
Bonowitz

If this killing goes forward, it will be the 60th execution in Florida
since 1979 and the 17th under Governor Jeb Bush.  More information about
Florida executions is available at
http://www.fadp.org/Florida_executions.html .

Members of FADP and other organizations opposed to the death penalty will
protest the execution at Florida State Prison and at locations across the
state at the time of the killing.  (See
http://www.fadp.org/localprotests.html for protest plans and locations.)

********

FADP Director Abe Bonowitz is available for interviews at 800-973-6548

ON THE WEB:  www.FADP.org

****

SENT BY:

Abraham J. Bonowitz
Director

         Floridians for Alternatives to the Death Penalty (FADP)
         800-973-6548    http://www.fadp.org <f...@fadp.org>
PMB 335,  2603 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Hwy, Gainesville, FL  32609

Floridians for Alternatives to the Death Penalty works for restorative
justice in the form of effective alternatives to the death penalty.  It
does so by
   # supporting and coordinating the work of organizations and individuals
   # educating and energizing the general public and state legislators
   # supporting the many persons affected by capital crime and punishment
   # advocating specific legislative improvements