Oct. 26

ALABAMA:

Assistant AG Crenshaw running for Alabama appeals court

Clay Crenshaw, chief of the attorney general's capital litigation unit,
launched his campaign Tuesday for Alabama Court of Criminal Appeals,
calling for reform on death penalty appeals and promising to make speedy
decisions on his cases.

Crenshaw, who is running as a Republican, said he plans to seek the seat
currently held by Democrat Sue Bell Cobb, who has her eye on the race for
chief justice of the Alabama Supreme Court.

Crenshaw, 45, faces Julia Elizabeth "Beth" Kellum, a senior staff attorney
at the Alabama Court of Criminal Appeals, in the GOP primary on June 6,
2006.

He said his top priority as an appeals judge would be to prevent capital
murder cases from engaging in lengthy appeals.

Capital appeals "need repair because it takes too long for a capital case
to go through the long appeals process."

He cited several recent death penalty cases that took decades to litigate,
including that of John W. Peoples, whose appeals lasted 22 years before he
was executed by lethal injection on Sept. 22. Peoples killed a Pell City
family of 3 and drove off in their vintage sports car in 1983.

"It took 22 years for justice to be done," Crenshaw said, adding that such
lengthy appeals periods frustrate victims, who realize litigation doesn't
end at a conviction.

"Once a case is assigned to me I will decide it within six months. I
believe that is a significant pledge when you consider that each judge on
the Alabama Court of Criminal Appeals is assigned 500-600 cases a year,"
he said.

Crenshaw and Kellum, both graduates of the University of Alabama School of
Law, each are embarking on their first race for public office.

Crenshaw began working in the attorney general's office upon graduation in
1988 and serves on the Criminal Rules Committee. He's overseen prosecution
in about 100 capital cases since joining the capital case division in
1992.

Kellum has worked in the attorney general's office, been in private
practice, and served as a staff attorney at the Alabama Supreme Court and
Court of Criminal Appeals. Since 2001, she has been senior staff attorney
for Criminal Appeals Court Judge Kelli Wise and has reviewed all types of
cases, including death penalty convictions.

Kellum, who announced her candidacy Sept. 30, said that experience should
give her an edge over Crenshaw, noting that capital murder cases make up a
small percentage of the court's caseload.

"Because of the caseload that we have you have to be able to hit the
ground running," she said Tuesday. "I see how the court system works. I
have the experience of working with the judges and seeing they review the
cases and review the issues."

Crenshaw pointed out that capital cases are considered the most complex to
litigate and bring out a variety of legal issues, often argued in federal
courts.

"Being a law clerk for a judge, you don't get the diversity of practice
that I have," he said.

(source: Associated Press)

OHIO:

Before his execution, killer of 4 shows no remorse----Some relatives of
murder victims find insults, not closure, in dealer's last words; Before
he died, Willie J. "Flip" Williams Jr. told his family "Don't worry about
me. I'm OK. This all ain't nothin'."

There were no gunshots. No electrical cord around his neck or plastic bag
over his head. No last-minute plea for mercy.

The end came quietly and calmly yesterday for Willie J. "Flip" Williams
Jr. - a stark contrast to how he ended the lives of 4 young men in a
Youngstown housing project 14 years earlier.

But when it was all over at 10:20 a.m., Williams was just as dead.

Williams, 48, who aspired to be the king of Youngstown's drug dealers, a
black mob figure to rival the white ones who made the city infamous, died
by injection at the Southern Ohio Correctional Facility near Lucasville.

He remained defiant to the end, or maybe just "irritated," as one observer
described him.

"I'm not going to waste no time talking about my lifestyle, my case, my
punishment," Williams said while strapped to the lethal-injection table.
"Y'all stick together. Don't worry about me. I'm OK. This all ain't
nothin'."

His last words may have comforted Jameka Williams, his daughter; Jesse
Williams, his brother; and Michael Davis, his uncle, all of whom sobbed
quietly as they watched the execution.

He blew a kiss to his daughter. She said, "I love you, Dad."

Some members of the victims' families who watched Williams die said his
last words and lack of remorse were insulting.

"It was almost like his last taunt on the way out," said Alicia Ennis, 33,
the fiancee of William Dent, one of Williams' victims. She was five months
pregnant with their daughter at the time of his murder.

"For me, it's not closure," Ennis said. "Now I have to go home to my
daughter with another story."

After doing time in a California prison on a drug charge, Williams
returned to Youngstown in the early 1990s and begin plotting to retake his
turf from young rivals: Dent, 23, Eric Howard, 20, and Alfonda Madison,
21.

Williams and some juveniles he recruited trapped the 3 men at an apartment
at the Kimmel Brooks housing project on Sept. 1, 1991. Theodore Wynn, 23,
who recently had been discharged from the Air Force, had the bad luck to
show up at the same time to visit 2 of the men.

Williams bound the men with duct tape, strangled them with electrical
cords, suffocated them with plastic bags and shot each in the head.

One of the men begged for his life, according to court records.

"I'll see you in hell," Williams responded.

While Williams remained at large after the murders, the juveniles soon
were arrested and told police what they knew.

On Jan. 12, 1992, Williams armed himself with guns and explosives and
invaded the Mahoning County Juvenile Justice Center in an attempt to
silence his juvenile accomplices. He eventually surrendered, was tried and
sentenced to death for the 4 murders.

Williams spent his last night and morning visiting with the 36 family
members who came to the prison. They were rotated in groups of two or
three to the Death House.

While Williams' death didn't bring closure to all the victims' families,
Donna Wynn, the mother of Theodore Wynn, said she felt "like a weight had
been lifted.

"We can go on now knowing that justice has been served."

Williams was the third person executed in Ohio this year and the 18 th
since the state resumed executions 6 years ago.

(source: Columbus Dispatch)

******************

Williams executed for '91 massacre----Family members of the victims were
dismayed that Williams didn't apologize.

Willie Williams expressed love for his family Tuesday before being
executed by lethal injection for the slayings of four men in Youngstown in
1991 in a crime that became known as the "Labor Day Massacre."

Clad in dark blue pants with a red stripe down the legs and a white
short-sleeved shirt, the 48-year-old Williams, who was known as "Flip,"
calmly entered the Death House at the Southern Ohio Correctional Facility
shortly after 10 a.m., laid on a table and looked at family members
sitting behind a window nearby.

Williams used his final statement to recognize his family.

"I don't want to waste no time talking about my lifestyle, my case, my
punishment," Williams said into a microphone held by Warden Edwin
Voorhies.

"Mom, you've been there from the beginning and I love you," Williams said,
referring to his mother, Joyce Williams.

Williams said he loved his other family members.

"Y'all stick together," Williams said. "Don't worry about me, I'm OK. This
ain't nothing, I'll be OK. That's it," Williams said before the deadly
drugs flowed into his veins.

The death process

First, prison officials say, sodium pentothal is injected to render the
inmate unconscious; then, pancuronium bromide is injected to stop the
inmate's breathing; and finally, potassium chloride is injected to stop
the inmate's heart.

After Williams delivered his statement, he looked at family members -
identified by prison officials as Jesse Williams, his brother; Jameka
Williams, Williams' daughter; and Michael Davis, an uncle.

Soft whispering, thought by some observers to be a prayer or chant, could
be heard among Williams' family. Jameka Williams, at one point, was hugged
by Jesse Williams and Davis.

A couple of minutes later, Willie Williams' eyes fluttered. Shortly after
that, his eyes closed. Prison officials pronounced him dead at 10:20 a.m.

Williams' family declined to speak to reporters after the execution.

Lack of remorse

But some family members of the men Williams was convicted of killing -
William "Lamont" Dent, Alfonda "Al" R. Madison, Sr., Eric Howard and
Theodore "Teddy" Wynn Jr. - said they were disappointed Williams didn't
finally take responsibility for the killings.

"I was disappointed he did not apologize," said Tawanna Madison, sister of
Alfonda Madison and one of the victims' family members who viewed
Williams' execution.

Donna Wynn, the late Wynn's mother, said she, too, was disappointed
Williams didn't address the 1991 slayings.

"He showed no remorse," Wynn said of Williams after viewing the execution.

"At least we can go on knowing justice has been served," she said.

Williams, who arrived at the SOCF Monday morning from the Mansfield
Correctional Institution, where he had been held, stayed up most of the
evening leading up to his execution, prison officials reported.

Williams, who met with family members Monday and early Tuesday, declined
food and took only water and coffee in the hours leading up to his
execution, prison officials said.

The tragic events

Williams, who authorities said used to control a major drug-trafficking
operation on Youngstown's North and East sides, was convicted in the
killings of Dent, Madison and Howard as part of what authorities say was a
drug-related dispute. Williams was also convicted of killing Wynn, who
authorities say was an acquaintance of one of the other victims.

The 4 were found dead in a Youngstown home in September 1991. Authorities
said Williams was attempting to resume control of the drug trade when the
killings occurred.

Alicia Ennis, the mother of a child of Dent's, disputed the suggestions by
law enforcement officials that Williams' victims might have been involved
in the drug trade.

3 teen accomplices aided Williams in the attack, investigators said. Each
victim was killed execution-style, with gunshots to the head, according to
investigators.

After Williams' capture, Williams and other prisoners broke out of the
Mahoning County Jail, court records say.

After months on the run, Williams surrendered to authorities in early 1992
after he and other accomplices armed with guns and explosives invaded the
Mahoning County Juvenile Justice Center, court records say.

At the time, the juvenile justice center held the 3 teen accomplices who
were to testify against Williams in the 4 slayings, investigators and
court records say.

In August 1993, a jury convicted Williams on multiple charges including
aggravated murder and sentenced him to death.

(source: The Vindicator)

IOWA:

GOP: Death penalty, cigarette tax probably off the table

Iowa House Republican leaders said Tuesday that 2 hot-button issues are
likely off the table for next years session: reinstating the death penalty
and raising the cigarette tax.

A greater focus on veterans issues and an effort to attract an oil
refinery to Iowa will be on the table.

House Speaker Christopher Rants, R-Sioux City, said he will not allow a
debate over the death penalty unless he sees evidence that such a proposal
has a chance of passing the Senate. He doubts that will happen because
Senate Democratic Leader Mike Gronstal of Council Bluffs is a death
penalty opponent who can prevent the issue from coming to a vote.

Senate Republicans proposed reinstatement of the death penalty this year,
only to see the idea thrown out in a procedural ruling. They plan to
revisit the issue next session.

(source: Quad-City Times)

GEORGIA:

Prosecutor seeks death penalty

The district attorney will seek the death penalty against Linsey Favors,
the man accused in the brutal slaying of a woman at the state Farmer's
Market last December.

Gray Conger filed Friday his intention to seek the death penalty in the
case, which stems from the Dec. 8, 2004 slaying of Vera Braswell, 75.
Braswell died of a stab wound to the neck and blunt-force injuries to her
head.

He wouldn't say why he's seeking the death penalty in the case.

"It was certainly a case that merits the death penalty," Conger said.

A customer at the market found Braswell's body around 10:30 a.m. that
morning inside a walk-in cooler, police said. The elderly woman died just
2 days before her 76th birthday.

Aubrey Baltimore, Braswell's 80-year-old sister, owned Baltimore's Produce
at the State Farmer's Market on 10th Avenue. The sisters operated the
stand for more than 30 years.

Police arrested Favors on March 15 on an unrelated charge at Riverdale
Cemetery, next to the market. He was charged with violation of the open
container law. Police later made the murder charge. Favors matched the
description of the suspect in Braswell's death, police said.

Favors is charged with 2 counts of murder, possession of a firearm during
the commission of a crime and criminal attempt armed robbery.

Police said robbery was the motive in the murder, but Baltimore said
nothing was stolen from the stand. She said it appeared Braswell's
attacker tried to open the register with scissors the sisters kept at the
stand.

(source: Columbus Ledger-Enquirer)

MISSOURI:

Gray is executed for Kerry murders

With a sheet covering him to his neck, Marlin Gray was executed by
Missouri state employees early this morning for his role in the 1991
murders of two young women on the old Chain of Rocks Bridge.

Gray died by injection at 12:07 a.m. Before the drugs were applied, he
smiled and appeared to mouth the words, "I love you" at witnesses. As the
1st drug took effect, he either smiled or grimaced, then he gasped and lay
still.

Prosecutors said Gray was the mastermind of the robbery and murder that
claimed the lives of Julie and Robin Kerry, who were thrown off the
bridge. Robin's body has never been found.

Their cousin, Tom Cummins, was ordered to jump off the bridge, but he
survived and testified at the trial of the three men and one teenager who
were also on the bridge that night.

Daniel Winfrey, who was 15 at the time of the murders, is serving a
30-year sentence after pleading guilty to 9 charges, including 2 counts
each of 2nd-degree murder and forcible rape, and agreeing to testify
against the other men.

Reginald Clemens is on death row. The Missouri Supreme Court reduced
Antonio Richardson's death sentence to life in prison because he was
sentenced to death by a judge, not a jury.

After the U.S. Supreme Court turned down Gray's final appeals Tuesday
night and Missouri Gov. Matt Blunt denied clemency, one of Gray's lawyers
issued a statement just before 6:30 p.m.

"I continue to believe that he is innocent and that the imposition of the
death penalty in his case is completely unjust and inappropriate," Joanne
Martin Descher wrote. "I am deeply saddened over the outcome."

Blunt had released a statement about an hour earlier.

"Missouri's highest courts and a jury of Marlin Gray's peers determined
unequivocally that he should be held accountable for Julie and Robin
Kerry's deaths," Blunt said. "I support the sentence issued and affirmed
by both Missouri and U.S. Courts and believe justice has been served. My
thoughts and prayers are with family and friends who mourn the loss of
Julie and Robin."

In the days prior to the execution, Blunt received letters, e-mails, faxes
and phone calls opposing the execution from campaigns run by Amnesty
International and Missourians to Abolish the Death Penalty. A busload of
Gray's supporters drove to Blunt's office Tuesday, and U.S. Rep. William
Lacy Clay Jr., D-St.Louis, sent Blunt a letter Monday echoing those
concerns.

Blunt said in a statement following the execution, "Marlin Gray was found
responsible for these deaths. The events of that night were heard before a
jury and judges at every level, all of whom affirmed this just
punishment...I carefully reviewed applications for clemency, and the legal
proceedings' history and found no cause to justify pre-empting previous
judicial proceedings."

Gray's advocates and opponents of the death penalty have argued that the
38-year-old was not on the bridge when Julie, 20, and Robin, 19, were
pushed to their deaths.

There were 67 opponents and 4 in favor of the death penalty outside the
prison.

At his 1992 trial, Gray told jurors that he left the bridge to smoke pot,
and that Reginald Clemens told him, "Man, I just robbed that guy and threw
the girls into the river," when he returned.

In an interview Thursday, Gray said that when he returned to the bridge,
Antonio Richardson said there had been an accident and the girls had
fallen in the river.

Gray's supporters have also argued that Nels Moss, who prosecuted Gray,
withheld potentially exculpatory evidence and unfairly swayed the jury by
comparing Gray to Charles Manson.

In an e-mail message to the Post-Dispatch on Tuesday, Moss took issue with
Gray's version of events that night and the statements of his supporters.

"What Gray fails to say is he told his co-defendants that he 'felt like
hurting someone that night,' and passed out condoms, according to
Winfrey," Moss wrote.

Moss said Gray also shared the money taken from the Kerrys and Cummins,
congratulated Richardson on his bravery, and threatened to shoot Cummins
if he resisted.

Moss said an internal affairs investigation did not substantiate Gray's
allegation of a police beating, and that appellate courts have
consistently failed to find misconduct in Gray's trial. "The Missouri
Supreme Court in its opinion found that the jury had ample evidence to
believe that Marlin Gray aided, encouraged and assisted in these rapes,
robberies, assault and murders," Moss wrote.

Gray is the 66th man to be executed by injection in Missouri since the
state resumed carrying out the death penalty in 1989.

Missouri Department of Corrections spokesman John Fougere said Gray
declined a last meal and a sedative. He had told officials that no one
would be present as a witness on his behalf, but it appeared that he had
witnesses. The witnesses on behalf of Gray were a female cousin and her
minister. Fougere declined to name either one.

The only victims' witness was Kevin Cummins, who is the girls' uncle
according to Fougere.

In an interview Thursday, Gray said: "This is murder to me. I will not
participate or let my family participate."

Fougere said Gray, " was extremely calm and relaxed the whole day."

In his final statement, Gray said, "I go forward now on wings built by the
love and support of my family and friends. I go with a peace of mind that
comes from never having taken a human life. I forgive those who have
hardened their hearts to the truth and I pray they ask forgiveness for
they know not what they do. This is not a death, it is a lynching."

***********************

Court rules hearing should have been open

A state appeals court has ruled a judge in DeWitt County was wrong to bar
the news media and public from a pretrial hearing for a man accused in the
drownings in September 2002 of his then-girlfriend's 3 children.

Three news organizations - The Associated Press, (Decatur) Herald & Review
and The (Bloomington) Pantagraph - had appealed the judge's decision to
close a hearing May 9 where defense attorneys asked to exclude evidence
from the trial of Maurice LaGrone Jr. that they said was prejudicial.

A three-judge panel of the 4th District Appellate Court ruled Monday that
Judge Stephen H. Peters did not have sufficient reason to close the
hearing.

LaGrone's attorney, Jeff Justice, has 21 days to ask the full appellate
court to decide the issue or to appeal to the Illinois Supreme Court.
Justice said Tuesday that he had not seen the decision and declined to
comment until he had a chance to review it.

LaGrone, 30, is charged with murder in the deaths of Christopher Hamm, 6,
Austin Brown, 3, and Kyleigh Hamm, 23 months. The children's mother,
Amanda Hamm, 30, also is charged with murder in their deaths. She is
expected to stand trial after LaGrone, and both could face the death
penalty.

(source for both: St. Louis Post-Dispatch)

NEVADA:

Death-row inmate drops appeals

Nevada death-row inmate Daryl Mack, convicted in 2002 of raping and
strangling a Reno woman 17 years ago, told a judge Tuesday he is ready to
waive all of his appeals and be executed.

After two of three psychiatrists evaluated Mack and found him to be
competent to waive his appeals, Mack, 47, told Washoe District Judge
Robert Perry that he no longer wishes to challenge his death sentence.

Perry asked Mack whether he understood what would happen by dropping his
petition to the court.

"I will be put to death," said Mack, a tall, thin man with thick, matted
dreadlocks and a long, tangled beard.

"Has anyone threatened you or promised you anything?" Perry asked.

"No," Mack said.

Mack was in prison for the 1994 murder of Kim Parks in a Reno motel when
investigators linked him through DNA evidence to the 1988 murder of Betty
Jane May. She had been sexually assaulted and strangled in her southwest
Reno home. Her murder remained unsolved for more than a decade.

Mack pleaded not guilty and asked to be tried before a judge instead of a
jury. Judge James Hardesty, now a Nevada Supreme Court justice, found him
guilty and a 3-judge panel sentenced him to death in May 2002.

The following month, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that juries, not judges,
must decide death-penalty cases. Mack appealed his sentence, citing the
new ruling, but the state high court rejected his request for a new
hearing.

No date was set Tuesday, but Washoe Deputy District Attorney Gary
Hatlestad said the execution by lethal injection at the Nevada State
Prison in Carson City could occur 14 to 90 days from Tuesday.

The next step is for Perry to sign the warrant of execution and set a
date. Hatlestad said he expected that to happen in the next week.

Mack's attorney, Marc Picker, said Mack is sick of being on death row and
has been ready to drop his appeals since August 2004.

"He's tired," Mack's other lawyer, Scott Edwards, said after the hearing.

Before the judge approved Mack's request, Hatlestad walked Mack through
his previous challenges to ensure he was aware of his options.

In his petition to the court for a new trial, Mack had claimed his lawyers
had done a poor job, the judges were biased, he had wanted a jury to
decide his sentence and that an execution by lethal injection is cruel and
unusual punishment, Hatlestad said.

"This whole case could start over, and it could be a get-out-of-jail free
card if it's proven," Hatlestad said. "But if you waive this now, you can
not reinstate this claim. Is that what you want to do?"

"Yes," Mack answered to each question.

Of the 11 inmates executed since Nevada reinstated capital punishment in
1977, 10 were volunteers, or like Mack, dropped their appeals.

(source: Reno Gazette-Journal)