Dec. 13

TEXAS:

Advocates say Texas needs innocence panel

53 years after he was executed for murder in England, George Kelly's name
was cleared in 2003 after an independent commission reviewed his case and
referred it back to the courts.

There is no such commission to consider the case of Ruben Cantu.

Cantu, of San Antonio, was condemned primarily on the account of an
eyewitness who recently recanted. Cantu was executed in 1993.

The only course of action now is for the local district attorney whose
office originally prosecuted the case to reinvestigate it.

To state Sen. Rodney Ellis, that is not good enough.

The Houston Democrat repeatedly has proposed creating a so-called
innocence commission, but the idea has flopped in the Texas Legislature.

Ellis envisions something similar to the National Transportation Safety
Board, an independent federal agency that investigates plane crashes.

"For the public to have confidence in the criminal justice system, it's
not enough for the office where the problem may have come out of to review
it," Ellis said.

Bexar County District Attorney Susan Reed disagrees.

"We already have a system," she said, contending that district attorneys'
offices are best-equipped to re-examine any such case because they are the
ones with investigative and subpoena powers.

She sees no conflict of interest.

"None of my people were involved in this case," Reed said. "We're having
to start from square one looking at the case."

It is a case that is 21 years old.

In 1984, Cantu, then 17, became a suspect in the robbery and fatal
shooting of Pedro Gomez, 25, and the shooting of his friend, Juan Moreno,
19. Moreno was shot nine times but survived.

Twice, San Antonio police showed Moreno, then an undocumented immigrant,
Cantu's picture as part of a photo lineup, and he did not select anyone.
But the third time, he picked Cantu.

Recently, Moreno recanted, saying he had felt pressured by investigators,
according to the Houston Chronicle. A convicted accomplice has signed a
sworn statement saying Cantu wasn't involved, and another man told the
Chronicle that Cantu was in Waco at the time.

Reed said her office is looking into that possible alibi and whether to
prosecute Moreno.

"Is he lying today, or was he lying yesterday?" she said.

If Moreno in fact was lying at trial, Reed said, "it was based on that -
that felony of perjury - that this man was executed."

Reed has looked at Cantu's case before, at least briefly. As a state trial
judge in the late 1980s, she was among several jurists who rejected his
appeal. She also set an execution date for him.

There have been plenty of exonerations in capital murder cases - 122,
according to one tally by the Death Penalty Information Center - but those
exonerations involved inmates who still were alive. Cases such as Cantu's
are rare, but not unprecedented.

Samuel Gross, a University of Michigan law professor, recently led a probe
into a Missouri death-penalty case and concluded an innocent man had been
executed.

As a result, St. Louis' circuit attorney's office has begun re-examining
the 1980 murder for which Larry Griffin was put to death. The top
prosecutor, Jennifer Joyce, was not in office at the time.

"We were very happy at her response," Gross said. "One of the reasons I've
been interested in studying this (is) it is astonishing to me how little
we do in response to cases of proven false conviction, and now perhaps
proven false execution."

Barry Scheck, co-founder of the Benjamin Cardozo School of Law's Innocence
Project, said while prosecutors should play a role in re-examining
questionable cases, they shouldn't have the last word.

"You need an independent body for credibility with the public," Scheck
said. "But also, it's a different kind of inquiry. You may not have
anybody to prosecute, but everybody would want a report issued, saying to
what degree of certainty can we say an innocent person was executed."

Any "innocence commission," in Scheck's view, should include prosecutors,
defense attorneys and judges  a group that would be respected by the
public.

No such body exactly like that exists in the United States, Scheck said.

In Illinois, then-Gov. George Ryan halted executions and appointed a
commission of experts in 2000 to suggest reforms after 13 condemned
inmates were exonerated.

Connecticut and North Carolina have commissions designed to determine what
went wrong in cases in which the courts already declared a wrongful
conviction. That's different from a commission to determine wrongful
convictions.

"There is no legal procedure for reviewing a case after an execution is
done because the party's dead," said William Allison, a law professor at
the University of Texas at Austin.

The 2004 execution of Cameron Todd Willingham is another Texas case that
some say is overdue for its own re-examination.

After Willingham, of Corsicana, was executed for a 1992 fire that killed
his three baby daughters, the Chicago Tribune published a report casting
doubt on his guilt, citing scientific advances in arson evidence.

The current district attorney there, Steve Keathley, said Monday he was
interviewed for the December 2004 Tribune article but never saw the
published work.

The Tribune had consulted four fire experts who found problems with the
original investigation, which was conducted before Keathley took office.

The scientific advances cited in the article were a factor in last year's
exoneration of another condemned Texas inmate, Ernest Willis.

Keathley said no one contacted him after the Tribune report was published
to urge him to reinvestigate the case.

He last reviewed the Willingham case shortly before the execution, he
said, when his office was contacted regarding a last-minute appeal.
Keathley was not swayed by a report from a renowned fire expert named
Gerald Hurst, one of the four later consulted by the Tribune.

Scheck holds up this case as an example of why an independent innocence
commission is needed.

Likeminded others are calling on a new committee created by Texas Gov.
Rick Perry to take up such reviews.

"Given the seriousness of these questions, I think it would be most
appropriate for some arm of the government to look at those questions,"
said Steve Hall of StandDown Texas, a group seeking a moratorium on
executions.

But the governor's office maintains the Criminal Justice Advisory Council
is charged with looking at the system, not individual cases.

Sen. Ellis, a member of the council, understands the concern.

"You can certainly make a compelling point that no one can afford to go
back and review every case where someone says they're innocent," Ellis
said. But "there has to be some way to review at least a handful of cases
periodically."

Allison said there is a great danger that people will just forget about
cases like Cantu's.

Reed said her top deputies are investigating and that, one way or another,
she will make a final determination, which she expects to take months.

(source: San Antonio Express-News)

MARYLAND:

Mall Shooter Accepts Plea Deal, Death Penalty Removed

An Essex man has been sentenced to spend the rest of his life in prison
for February's fatal shooting in the parking garage of the Towson Town
Center.

John Kennedy accepted a plea agreement on Tuesday on one count of
1st-degree felony murder in the slaying of private school educator William
Bassett.

Under the plea deal, Kennedy will not be eligible for parole. In exchange,
prosecutors agreed to drop plans to seek the death penalty.

"There's no appeal. This case is not going to be overturned. ... This plea
that he offered into was something that we felt we need to take,"
prosecutor Steve Bailey said. "John Kennedy will spend the rest of his
life in prison, and he will die in prison."

Kennedy was 1 of 2 men arrested after the saying. Javon Clark, 19, of
Middle River, was sentenced in October to 20 years in prison on an
attempted robbery charge in the case. The jury at Clark's September trial
acquitted him of 1st-degree murder.

Clark testified at his trial that he and Kennedy drove around that evening
looking for someone to rob.

The shooting led to a new law requiring enhanced security measures at
county shopping areas. This past weekend, shoppers at the Towson Town
Center reported seeing a man with a gun in the garage. Police say the man
dropped the weapon and ran from the garage.

WBAL-TV 11 News reporter John Sherman reported the victim's widow, Susan
Bassett, called the outcome a tragedy for 2 families, the Bassetts and the
Kennedys.

"This resolution of the case is in the best interest of my family, myself
and my children," Susan Bassett said.

Susan Bassett also said the murder affected a whole community for not
feeling safe in a parking lot while shopping.

Kennedy's family left the courthouse without comment.

(source: WBAL)

USA:

Current death sentence doesnt make sense

My fellow columnist D. Allan Kerr struck a nerve with his article last
week regarding the recent call for a stay of execution for Stan "Tookie"
Williams. Kerrs essay in favor of Williams scheduled execution resonated
with readers across the country, and inspired dozens of letters, both in
challenge and in support.

One of the most frustrating things I experience as an opinion writer is
letters of agreement from people who prove themselves ignorant over the
course of their letter. Kerr was showered with fools applause for his
opinion, alongside a precious few well-reasoned endorsements. He was
likewise taken to task both well and poorly.

My opinion on the matter will in all likelihood be moot by the time it is
published, as Tookies lethal injection is scheduled for Tuesday morning,
which is about when this column usually posts. It is unlikely that Gov.
Arnold Schwarzenegger will intercede, and so my personal assessment will
be theoretical only.

Let me say quickly here that Kerrs sarcastic reference to this case being
left to Schwarzeneggers "Solomonic wisdom" was a cheap shot at a pretty
accomplished fellow. What other governor would merit the call? John Lynch?
John Baldacci? Jeb Bush?

The 2 questions begged by this impending execution are Tookies case in
particular and the general issue of the death penalty in America. In a
societal risk/benefit analysis of Tookies case, it is hard to argue
against the notion that Tookie is worth more alive than he is dead. His
writing, filmmaking, and oratory on a life in crime have found a youth
audience, and that audience is listening.

Kids at risk dont want to hear any Nancy Reagan-style "Just say no"
bullshit, and they shut down when they get a first whiff of it. Tookie is
that rare articulate voice that also carries irreproachable street
credibility.

The Kerr piece claims that a stay of execution in this case would be an
incentive for gang-related crime. I don't think so. No Compton crackhead
is going to ruminate over Tookie, dead or alive, in the seconds before he
blows away his neighbor for having sold two bags of heroin on the wrong
block.

When you consider the families of his victims, the death penalty starts to
make some conceptual sense, but not as it is currently applied. I believe
that the death penalty, if administered at all in this country, should be
barbaric. Had relatives of his victims been permitted to beat him to death
with chains and baseball bats within minutes of his sentencing, then Id be
all for the death penalty. There would be some palpable vengeance, as well
as some component of deterrent.

The psychology of death penalty advocacy is complex and ancient. The
phrase, "an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth" dates to the Code of
Hammurabi, King of Babylon from 1792 to 1750 BC, a time when
reconstructive dental surgery was in its infancy. Eye removal remains a
medically irreversible punishment.

The phrase is often incorrectly attributed to the Bible, a document more
derivative than its readers ever care to admit. In fact, the various
authors of the Bible were so fond of the phrase that it appears in
Leviticus, Deuteronomy, Exodus and the book of Matthew. Naturally,
Hammurabi is not credited in the sacred text.

The logical extreme of this notion regarding eyes and teeth is the death
penalty, which has undergone considerable revision since Hammurabi. Means
of execution in Hammurabis day included stoning, crucifixion, drowning,
beating to death, burning alive, and impalement, but since that time,
mankind seems to have gradually backed away from what I consider to be the
golden age of execution.

Burning someone alive is terribly painful, as is stoning, especially with
feeble throwers, a process that could take hours. Hanging was the
10th-century British alternative to the inhumanity of earlier methods, and
guillotine was the stylish French solution of the 18th and 19th century.

The mere fact of mankind edging away from execution at its most brutal
indicates to me a visceral discomfort with the concept at its core. I am a
staunch opponent of the death penalty as it is currently administered in
this country for several reasons, one of which is time. The requisite
appeals process associated with the death penalty make it financially
disadvantageous to the state relative to life imprisonment, and also
removes any deterrent factor. The average gestation period between
conviction and execution in this country is 10 years.

Americas discomfort with capital punishment has resulted in lethal
injection as its preferred means of dispensation. Lethal injection is a
more complex process than one might think, and rather coddling of its
recipient. It is a cocktail of three compounds; the first injection is an
anesthetic, five grams of sodium pentathlon, in itself a potentially
lethal dose. Sodium pentathlon reaches effective clinical concentrations
in the brain within 30 seconds. In other words, in half a minute the state
could burn you at the stake Hammurabi-style and you wouldn't feel a thing.

A saline solution then flushes the intravenous line, and a dose of
pancuronium bromide is introduced, an agent that paralyzes the diaphragm
and lungs, causing the condemned to stop breathing. A saline solution
flushes the intravenous line again because we all know how annoying it is
to get your pancuronium bromide mixed in with your potassium chloride, the
next and final toxin. Potassium chloride in the quantities administered
causes cardiac arrest.

This just doesnt cut it. A fine sodium pentathlon buzz is the last
sensation a killer experiences on his way out, and that hardly seems fair.
Impalement, stoning, hanging, guillotine, firing squad, maybe. Lethal
injection, no way. It strikes me as a case of a society not quite having
the courage of its convictions.

Means aside, when making this argument I also like to compare Charlie
Manson to Tim McVeigh. I derive far more satisfaction watching Charlie
Manson devolve into a pathetic wretch than I do having McVeighs
unrepentant stoic face etched forever into the nations psyche. It might
have been better to watch his hair turn gray across the decades, in stark
contrast to an orange jumpsuit, especially if there was no videotaped
record of his slow and excruciating impalement.

Also, in order for a state to endorse the death penalty, it should presume
the fact that some percentage of innocent people will be put to death.
That is a simple death penalty fact. Anyone who is unwilling to put
innocent people to death should not espouse the death penalty. Its part of
the deal.

I oppose the death penalty as it is now administered, but not because of
the 1 or 2 out of every 100 condemned prisoners that will inevitably be
innocent of the specific crime. That is what I would call acceptable
collateral damage. The reasons I oppose it is that its too expensive, it
takes too long, and it is too antiseptic as it is currently administered.
Again, a return to impalement, stoning, or a poorly maintained electric
chair might be worth considering.

As to the smaller question of Tookie Williams, its too bad that his
utility will be wasted for the sake of promised follow through. Not being
able to view the case as fluid rather than static leaves us hamstrung as a
society, and armed with one less weapon in the battle against gang
violence.

(source: Chris Elliott, Seacoast Online)

TENNESSEE:

Supreme court denies Thompson's stay of execution

The state Supreme Court denied a motion for a stay of execution for a
death row inmate who already has lost a series of appeals in federal
courts. In an order released Tuesday, the court found that Gregory
Thompson, convicted of murder in 1985, has not shown a substantial change
in his mental health that would restrict the state from execution.

Attorneys for Thompson filed a motion seeking a stay in September after
the federal Supreme Court ruled in July that a lower court improperly
reopened Thompson's case. The ruling allowed the state to set a new
execution date of Feb. 7, 2006.

The stay of execution motion claimed that there had been a change in
Thompson's mental health since the last time he appeared before court.

The state court also denied two other motions to keep his medical records
private and protect them from inspection by the state attorney general.

Thompson was convicted of killing Brenda Blanton Lane, a 28-year-old
former newspaper reporter, with a rusty knife after abducting her from a
Shelbyville Wal-Mart parking lot.

Justice Adolpho A. Birch Jr. dissented in the 4-1 ruling.

(source: Associated Press)

CALIFORNIA:

Moratorium On California Executions? ---- Another Clemency Petition Filed
Tuesday

For Tookie Williams, 25 years of appeals are over, but the justice system
in California still has a crowded death row and each inmate seems to have
different reasons why he should be spared.

Another clemency petition was delivered to the Governor's office Tuesday
before the 5:00 p.m. deadline. This one does not ask to consider
redemption like in the Stanley Tookie Williams case. Instead, it asks for
sympathy.

Attorneys for Clearance Ray Allen are asking Governor Schwarzenegger to
spare the murderer's life because of his age and deteriorating health.

Allen is the oldest man on death row and turns 76 the day before his
January 17th execution.

The Native American is also legally blind and confined to a wheelchair.

Michael Satris, Allen's clemency attorney: "Leading him to the execution
chamber is just a ghoulish idea that does not present California in any
kind of civilized light."

Allen was in jail in 1980 when he sent a parolee to a rural market in
Fresno County to kill 3 witnesses who testified against him.

Jack Abbott, eyewitness: "Those kids never got to see adulthood."

He may be the first in a string of executions at San Quentin next year.

Todd Slosek, California Dept. of Corrections and Rehabilitation: "We have
a lot of inmates that are approaching the exhaustion of their appeals. And
at this point in time, there might be three or four in addition to that,
on the calendar year of '06, but that's entirely up to the appeals
process."

That's a sharp jump for a state that has put to death just 12 people in
the past 13 years. While considering the fate of Stanley "Tookie"
Williams, the Governor noted deciding clemency is not easy.

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, (R) California (last week): "They're all very
difficult decisions to make. That's just part of being Governor."

Next month the Legislature is expected to start debating a bill to put a
moratorium on executions until 2009. That's a year after a state
commission issues its report on the flaws of capital punishment in
California.

Assm. Sally Lieber, (D) Mountain View: "We can't guarantee that we don't
have innocent people who have been put to death in California for will
be."

Next year's string of executions are likely to further heat up the death
penalty debate.

Dean Johnson, ABC7 legal analyst: "There is substantial body of
scholarship that would indicate that in California, we have the same
problems with the death penalty that Illinois had. Of course, that led to
the commutation of over 170 death penalty sentences."

Former Illinois Governor George Ryan, a Republican, commuted those
sentences 3 years ago, just days before leaving office, saying their
capitol system was haunted by mistake that put innocent men to death.

(source: KGO News)

***************

Bishops sought Schwarzenegger clemency for death row inmate

It has been revealed that the US bishops joined numerous human rights
organisations and celebrities last week in asking California Governor
Arnold Schwarzenegger to commute Stanley Tookie Williams' death sentence.

However, Schwarzenegger could not be persuaded and Williams was executed
early Tuesday morning local time, 25 years after he was convicted of
murdering 4 people.

Catholic News Agency reports that the head of the US Bishops' Domestic
Policy Committee, Bishop Nicholas DiMarzio of Brooklyn, in solidarity with
the Catholic Bishops of California, asked the governor to grant Williams
clemency in a letter on Friday.

"I am writing to urge that you exercise your power of clemency to spare
the life of Mr Stanley "Tookie" Williams," wrote Bishop DiMarzio. "It is
not my intent in any way to diminish the responsibility of those who have
committed terrible crimes; however, this execution can only compound the
violence that already exists in our society."

He referred to both John Paul II's Gospel of Life and the US bishops'
recent pastoral statement on the death penalty, titled "The Culture of
Life and the Penalty of Death."

The pastoral statement, which accompanied Bishop DiMarzio's letter,
affirms the teaching of the Catechism with regard to the death penalty and
states that American society has the means to defend itself "without
resorting to the use of the death penalty and should therefore restrict
itself to other non-lethal means."

"Such non-violent measures can give the offender time to repent for his or
her crime and allow the possibility of receiving God's grace," Bishop
DiMarzio wrote.

(source: Catholic News Agency)