Feb. 3

MARYLAND:

Prisoner proves an unlikely teacher----As execution nears, students
reflect on correspondence with a death row inmate

Sarah Pilisz, a young college student from northeastern Pennsylvania,
began her correspondence with death row inmate and convicted killer Vernon
Lee Evans Jr. a little more than a year ago as something of a community
service project.

"I originally thought, 'This will be awesome. It's a great way to serve
God by serving other people. It will be good for me to do that for him, to
help him,'" the 21-year-old Mount St. Mary's University student said
recently.

But as the pair continued to swap letters - Pilisz from her dorm room amid
the hills of Western Maryland and Evans from a cell in a maximum-security
prison in downtown Baltimore - the college senior was surprised to find
that the inmate became as much, if not more, of a comfort to her than she
was to him.

"He offers wonderful, perfect advice," Pilisz said. "So he was serving God
by serving me. It ended up being really reciprocal."

Students and faculty at Mount St. Mary's say that Evans, 56, who is
scheduled to be executed next week for the 1983 contract killings of two
Pikesville motel clerks, has become a class participant and even a mentor
and teacher to a small group of students, even while incarcerated on death
row and despite never having set foot on the Emmitsburg campus.

Philosophy professor Trudy Conway characterized Evans as a "participating
member of our campus" and credits him with being a positive force in the
moral development of young people. Students describe him as a friend, an
inspiration and an adviser, offering an uncommon perspective on everything
from the importance of their education to a never-dimming faith in the
Orioles.

And the Rev. Richard B. Hilgartner, a campus chaplain, said Evans has had
such a profound influence on the college that "to terminate his life
undoes a lot of the lessons we've taught on campus about compassion and
redemption and conversion."

All have lent their voices to the effort to stop Evans' execution, which
could occur as soon as Monday.

Evans was sentenced to death in the shootings of David Scott Piechowicz
and his sister-in-law, Susan Kennedy, who were gunned down in April 1983
with a MAC-11 machine pistol in the lobby of the Warren House Motel.
Another death row inmate, drug kingpin Anthony Grandison, also was
sentenced to death in the case, convicted of offering Evans $9,000 to kill
2 witnesses scheduled to testify against him.

Evans' attorneys are fighting the scheduled execution on many fronts. They
have legal challenges pending with the Maryland Court of Appeals, as well
as several requests for review before the U.S. Supreme Court. The
attorneys plan to file appeals today with the U.S. Fourth Circuit Court of
Appeals and the Maryland Court of Special Appeals, asking the courts to
overturn rulings this week from federal and state judges who rejected
Evans' challenges to the state's lethal injection procedure. And the
defense has submitted to Gov. Robert L. Ehrlich Jr. a clemency petition
and an accompanying documentary-style video.

Pilisz and Conway appear on that video.

The relationship between Evans and Mount St. Mary's, which describes
itself as the nation's oldest independent Catholic college, began in fall
2004 when Conway met one of Evans' sisters in Chicago at a national
convention of the Campaign to End the Death Penalty. Gwendolyn Bates, a
minister, mentioned that her brother was on Maryland's death row and might
benefit from receiving mail from the professor and her students.

Conway began writing Evans immediately. When about 30 students signed up
for her Perspectives on the Death Penalty class last spring, the course
material became an obvious topic between the professor and the prisoner.

Soon, Conway was mailing Evans copies of the reading materials she
assigned her students - dense writings that focused on the philosophical,
sociological, political and ethical arguments, both for and against the
death penalty. Just as quickly, Evans returned what the professor
characterized as "essays of reflection" on the readings - many of which
she read in her class.

"He was living some of the issues being addressed in the texts," Conway
said. "Sometimes it was like he was a student, and sometimes he was a
teacher because he discloses things that we don't have any knowledge of."

When Evans requested more books from the university's curriculum, other
Mount St. Mary's faculty members answered the call, sending volumes about
history, religion and morality.

"He just became a voracious reader. He stays up all night reading," Conway
said. "I guess he was getting the education he never had."

And still, the letters to the students continued.

Many of the dozen or so students and staff who have maintained a
correspondence with Evans or visited him in prison say they believe his
assertion that he was involved in the Warren House killings but did not
pull the trigger. Others say that even if he did, their religious beliefs
are so strong that they believe in redemption and still would not advocate
executing him.

Like her friends, Jamie Bergin, 21, was unsure of what to expect from
Evans. She says she didn't want to "use him for information about his
life." So she started out by sending a Christmas card, writing a note
similar to those that she sent to friends.

But to Bergin's amazement, there seemed to be no limit to the subjects
that she, a Hampden native, and Evans, born and raised in West Baltimore,
discussed.

"We write about what we've seen - our frustrations with teen pregnancy,
drug use and other problems in the neighborhoods where we grew up. Things
that we both can relate to," she said. "He even writes about the Orioles.
He says he's pessimistic about the Orioles but he still has faith."

Laura Robinson, 21, of Springfield, Va., has written Evans about the
mentoring program through which she, Bergin and other college women work
with middle school girls. "He believes that mentors are such powerful
influences," Robinson said. "And he's kind of been our mentor, so we know
about that."

Evans' influence on Pilisz, from Scranton, Pa., has been so profound that
after years of not knowing what to do with her life, she now intends to
seek a teaching job in an inner-city school after graduation. "Knowing
Vernon and some of the things that have happened in his life has inspired
me to work with kids to keep them from getting into things like that," she
said.

Reflecting on the impact that Evans has had on her students, Conway
remembered a prayer that he told her he repeats often - that God would
grant him a period of time when he would know what it means to be a good
man.

"Being in prison, and the period of reflection that that has afforded him,
he has figured out a way to be the person he wanted to be," Conway said
softly. "I told him that I thought in many ways his prayer has now been
answered."

(source: The Baltimore Sun)

ILLINOIS:

Prosecutor won't seek death penalty in Bloomington slayings

McLean County State's Attorney Bill Yoder says he won't seek the death
penalty for a man accused of killing 2 women in Bloomington in 2004.

Yoder says the victims' families asked him not to seek the death penalty
for Leo Guider Junior.

Guider is slated to stand trial in July in the December 2004 stabbings of
41-year-old Lorraine Fields and 26-year-old La Keisha Tyus. Both women
were from Normal.

Guider is accused of killing the women at his Bloomington apartment and
hiding their bodies in a car in a nearby parking lot.

He's charged with 6 counts of murder and 2 counts of concealing a
homicide.

(source: Associated Press)

MISSOURI:

Missouri asks for speedy resolution----Sides map strategies in Taylors
legal case

The blizzard of legal paperwork that blew from Missouri to Washington,
D.C., on Wednesday bought extra time for condemned killer Michael Taylor.
Just how much time remained unclear Thursday.

Taylor was hours from being executed Wednesday when nine judges of the 8th
U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals reversed an earlier ruling by a three-judge
panel, which had denied a stay of execution.

On appeal, the U.S. Supreme Court then voted 6-3 to let the stay of
execution stand, pending further legal action in lower courts.

Taylor, 39, is on Missouris death row in the 1989 kidnapping, rape and
murder of Kansas City teenager Ann Harrison. Roderick Nunley, the other
man convicted in the case, is expected to have an execution date set soon.

Anns parents declined to comment Thursday.

"Let's just wait and see whats going to happen," Bob Harrison said.
Taylors father told reporters Wednesday evening that "justice is being
served" with the 8th Circuits stay of execution.

After weeks of legal sparring between Taylors lawyers and state
prosecutors, lawyers took a moment Thursday to assess the situation and
plot their next moves. State authorities are concerned that the Taylor
delay could slow action in Nunleys case and those of other death row
inmates.

The Missouri Attorney Generals Office asked appeals judges for a quick
resolution.

"We have filed a motion to expedite - Taylors appeal," said John Fougiere,
a spokesman for Missouri Attorney General Jay Nixon.

John Simon, a St. Louis lawyer representing Taylor, said he would file a
motion by today opposing the states request.

"It will be a very substantial response," Simon said.

Procedurally, the merits of Taylor's appeal - whether death by lethal
injection is unconstitutionally "cruel and unusual" - still rest with the
3-judge panel that voted 2-1 to deny Taylors stay of execution Wednesday.

The panel could order briefs from lawyers and hold a hearing. Following a
ruling, the losing party then could ask the panel to reconsider, appeal to
the full 8th Circuit and then, again, ask the Supreme Court to decide the
case.

The 3-judge panel also could send the case back to the district court
judge in Kansas City who originally ruled on it for further consideration.
U.S. District Judge Fernando Gaitan issued a nine-page order Tuesday,
denying Taylor's claim that lethal injection was "cruel and unusual"
punishment.

Typically, a full appeals process takes several months without an
expedited schedule.

The Supreme Court's decision in the Taylor case marked the 1st public
decision for Justice Samuel Alito, who was sworn in Tuesday after his
confirmation by the U.S. Senate.

Alito split with the court's conservatives, joining the 6-3 majority to
uphold the 8th Circuits stay of execution.

Death row opponents praised Alitos handling of the case.

"It's a reasonable, cautionary vote," said Richard Dieter, executive
director of the Death Penalty Information Center. "It doesn't necessarily
indicate leanings toward death penalty defendants. But at least he's going
to be his own person."

Taylor probably will be moved back to his previous prison, in Potosi, Mo.,
until a new execution date is set, prison officials said late Wednesday.
Missouri's executions take place in Bonne Terre, about a 15-mile drive
east of Potosi.

First glance

- A lawyer for Taylor said he would file a motion by today opposing a
state request to expedite the appeal.

**************

Death row could use a time limit

17 years ago next month, Ann Harrison was snatched from her driveway by 2
crack-addled thugs as she waited for the school bus.

They raped her, stabbed her with butcher knives, then left the pretty
honor roll student to die alone in the trunk of a stolen car.

Whats nearly as disgusting is that only now are her confessed killers
running out of the appeals that they hope will keep them from the death
chamber.

Michael A. Taylor and Roderick Nunley have been on death row longer than
their victim lived on this Earth.

A system that allows such a travesty is in need of an overhaul.

You can reach that conclusion whether youre for or against the death
penalty in this, the 30th anniversary year since the Supreme Court
reinstated capital punishment.

Justice dealt swiftly used to be the norm.

A mere 81 days passed between the 1953 kidnap-killing of Bobby Greenlease
and the execution of his murderers in the Missouri gas chamber.

Nebraska sent Charlie Starkweather to the electric chair in 1959 - only 18
months after his arrest for 11 murders.

And 5 years passed after the Clutter family was massacred before the
Kansas executioner hung the killers at the prison in Lansing.

The wait practically destroyed Truman Capote, as the movie chronicling the
birth of "In Cold Blood" dramatizes. The author simply needed an ending
for his book about the Clutter familys murderers, Perry Smith and Dick
Hickock.

Theirs.

Perhaps the death penalty wouldnt seem like such cruel and unusual
punishment for all concerned if 5 years on death row was more the norm
nowadays.

And please dont misunderstand. If any crime deserves a death sentence, it
was the killing of Ann Harrison. Evil does not begin to describe what was
done to that poor girl.

But something is wrong here.

As a nation we either should shorten the time between sentencing and
execution.

Or we should get rid of capital punishment entirely.

Just for now, lets set aside the whole question of whether the system is
flawless or fair, and many of us are convinced it is neither.

Too many people on death row have later turned out to be innocent.
Defendants with money are less likely to face death than those who are not
so well off.

Blacks more often get a death sentence than whites. Though, anyone who
says Harrisons killers are somehow victims because they, two black men,
killed a white girl, have it all upside down. The victim here was a young
innocent set upon by two male predators; race unimportant, period.

Yes, forget, for a moment, the other arguments for and against capital
punishment.

Simply look at how perverse the process has become.

After 17 years people can and do change. Thats true even in 10 years, the
national average that someone is on death row. Which means that, in a
sense, the people we execute are not the same ones who committed the
crimes they are being put to death for.

So, too, the victims families are transformed. First by the terrible loss
of their loved ones. Then by the long wait for todays judicial process to
run its course.

Thus, when and if Taylor and Nunley finally are put to death, it wont seem
so much like the culmination of justice. More like the end to a wrenching
ordeal.

(source for both: Kansas City Star)