March 25

NEW JERSEY:

Day of Innocence 'life-changing'

The Brandeis Institute for Investigative Journalism, spearheaded by
Florence Graves and Pamela Cytrynbaum (JOUR), hosted an entire afternoon
of speakers and films in what was described as "A Day of Innocence."

Over the course of the day, the Nobel and Pulitzer Prize-nominated Sister
Helen Prejean, author of the book Dead Man Walking, and real-life
exonerated prisoner Dennis Maher spoke to stunned audiences in the Womens
Studies Research Center and the Spingold Theatre about the perils of the
criminal justice system and the death penalty, as well as the ever-present
threat of wrongful conviction.

"It was life-changing," said Marcie McPhee, the Assistant Director of
Ethics. "I've been at Brandeis since 1988 - This was the tops" The event
went half an hour into dinner time and they wouldnt leave. [It was]
powerful stuff."

Maher, who was wrongfully imprisoned in a Massachusetts prison for 19
years on 3 rape charges, spoke softly after the end of the Jessica Sanders
documentary After Innocence. He spoke to a packed audience about his life,
both before and after his incarceration.

"There are things in prisons that need to be changed," Maher said. "And we
need people on the outside to fight to make that change." Maher proceeded
to tell his story of the mistaken eyewitnesses, sleeping defense lawyers,
and misled jury that led to his wrongful conviction. In 1983, Maher,
despite being a sergeant in the United States Army, was charged with 2
Lowell rapes, based solely on the description of the assailant wearing "a
red, hooded sweatshirt." Despite a seemingly successful courtroom hearing
where a victim identified another man as her assailant, Maher was charged
with the crimes, and sentenced to 20 - 30 years in prison. After Maher's
picture ran on the news, a 3rd victim accused him of rape, extending
Maher's sentence to life in prison.

"I hold nothing against them," said Maher, of his accusers. "They have
horrors of their own to deal with." Maher added that when the judge asked
him if he had any final statements, he replied, "Your Honor, if you call
this justice, I think you and the whole judicial system are a crock of
shit."

Maher was released less than 3 years ago after a grueling struggle by the
New England Innocence Project to obtain DNA evidence, which finally ended
when a law school student coaxed someone at the police station to find the
semen samples during his lunch break. "I want to know, but I dont want to
know," said Maher, stating that this act of kindness could have been the
end of this person's career.

"My name has not been cleared - the [Attorney General's] office doesn't
know how to do it because it's never been done before," said Maher.

Since his exoneration and release in 2003, Maher has tried to make up for
nearly 20 years of lost time - he has since gotten married, begun working
as a diesel mechanic on trash trucks at Waste Management, and recently had
2 children: Joshua, 14 months old, and Aliza - named after the lawyer who
worked ceaselessly on Mahers case - 6 weeks old. "Life is good," Maher
said. "I don't worry about the small things in life anymore" I lost 19
years of my life. I don't need to waste any more time."

Later that evening, in Spingold, Prejean, spoke to a house of more than
450 people about the social inequities behind the death penalty. "Capital
punishment is those who don't have the capital, get the punishment,"
Prejean said. "The little Katrinas - there's more than one way to drown,"
the New Orleans native added.

"Poverty drowns."

Prejean, 66, also talked about her progression from working with
schoolchildren at the St. Thomas housing project in New Orleans to being a
spiritual advisor to both death row inmates and the families of victims.
"I had never written to anyone whose address was death row," Prejean
recalled. "I didn't know it was going to chance my whole blooming life!"
Prejean stated that ignorance was what has kept the death penalty in our
criminal justice system. "We're removed from them, we don't see it - and
we have other people to do our killing for us."

Prejean berated figures like Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia for the
growing religious fundamentalism in politics, calling it the basis of
perpetuating the inequities in the legal system - such as finding
inebriated or intoxicated lawyers "adequate council" and keeping the death
penalty operational. "Boy, we need to look at our Constitution, and see
what's happening" - We have 2 major problems that we need to address: we
have fundamentalists in the approach to religion, and the Constitution
that is driving the politics of this country," Prejean said. "Politics
drives the death penalty" [but] we need to be a society that heals, not
just a place that throws people behind bars and punishes."

Following on the theme of the day - wrongful conviction - Prejean railed
on the inherent fallibility of the death penalty. "If we're going to be
judge and jury, dont you think we better have an absolute system of
finding out the truth?" Prejean told a brief story about the family of a
victim who felt pressured to push for the death penalty, as though not
pushing for lethal injection would be "disrespectful" to their murdered
child. "The death penalty taints everybody it touches," Prejean said to an
awestruck audience. "Trust me, I'm a nun."

"We can't be neutral" - we got to catch on fire," said Prejean to the
crowd, who soon thereafter drowned her out with applause. "We got to do
something!"

(source: Brandeis Hoot (Brandeis University)

VIRGINIA:

Unwelcome Attention From Moussaoui Trial

The sentencing trial of Zacarias Moussaoui was supposed to have been the
government's best opportunity to hold someone accountable for the deaths
on Sept. 11, 2001.

But after federal prosecutors finished laying out their case this week,
even those who strongly supported an aggressive prosecution may wonder
whether the trial has shed as much light on Mr. Moussaoui's culpability as
it has on the missteps and mistakes by law enforcement agencies.

The testimony of two prosecution witnesses, in particular, has brought
renewed and unwelcome attention to how the Federal Bureau of Investigation
dealt with early warning signs.

Mr. Moussaoui is the sole person to go to trial in an American courtroom
for the attacks, making him a proxy for the 19 hijackers who were killed
carrying out the attacks and the chief planners who are being held in
secret C.I.A. prisons overseas.

Mr. Moussaoui in jail on Sept. 11, but prosecutors have argued that he
deserves to be executed because he lied to investigators about what he
knew of Al Qaeda plans to fly planes into buildings when he was arrested
three weeks earlier on immigration violations.

On Monday, defense lawyers are expected to offer a set of extraordinary
trial exhibits, statements about Mr. Moussaoui by a handful of senior
Qaeda officials gathered somewhere in the secret overseas detention
centers that the C.I.A. maintains.

The jury will be read the statements from detainees including Khalid Shaik
Mohammed, the mastermind of Sept. 11, and Ramzi bin al-Shibh, its
paymaster. Officials expect the 2 to describe Mr. Moussaoui as an
unreliable fringe figure in Al Qaeda.

The government presentation, which ended on Thursday, did not go smoothly.
First, the prosecution nearly collapsed after the disclosure that a
transportation lawyer working with the prosecutors had improperly coached
aviation witnesses.

Although that occurred out of the jury's view, other problems surfaced
when the prosecutors presented two witnesses supposed to bolster their
case that Mr. Moussaoui's lies made him responsible for nearly 3,000
deaths. The two witnesses testified that if he had told the truth on Aug.
16, 2001, the bureau could have moved swiftly to foil the plot.

The first witness, Harry Samit, an F.B.I. agent in Minnesota who
questioned Mr. Moussaoui at his arrest, firmly asserted that had he been
given the truth "we would have several new leads to investigate," and the
plot might have been thwarted. Instead, he said, Mr. Moussaoui's answers
sent investigators on "wild goose chases."

Under cross-examination by Edward B. MacMahon Jr., a court-appointed
lawyer for Mr. Moussaoui, Mr. Samit acknowledged that after the attacks he
had written strongly worded reports saying his superiors had improperly
blocked his efforts to investigate Mr. Moussaoui. He added that he was
convinced that Mr. Moussaoui was a terrorist involved in an imminent
hijacking plot.

That senior bureau officials dragged their feet on investigating Mr.
Moussaoui by seeking search warrants from a special intelligence court or
a more routine criminal search warrant was not new. But it had never been
presented so vividly as a reluctant Mr. Samit was obliged to do under
cross-examination.

He offered a devastating comment from a supervisor who said pressing too
hard to obtain a warrant for Mr. Moussaoui would hurt his career. Mr.
Samit also wrote that his superiors did not act because they were guilty
of "criminal negligence" and they were gambling that Mr. Moussaoui had
little to offer. The lost wager, Mr. Samit said, was paid in many lives.

Mr. Samit was followed to the witness stand by Michael Rolince, a retired
F.B.I. counterterrorism supervisor who similarly recited a list of actions
that the bureau could have taken if Mr. Moussaoui had told them about
Qaeda plans to take over planes with knives and fly into buildings.

But when Mr. MacMahon began reading from a document detailing many
suspicions about Mr. Moussaoui's intentions, Mr. Rolince interrupted, "Can
I ask what document that's coming from?"

Mr. MacMahon obliged, noting that it was an urgent memorandum written by
Mr. Samit on Aug. 18, 2001, hoping to attract the attention of
headquarters. Mr. Rolince had inadvertently underlined that the agent's
suspicions had never risen to his attention.

One problem for the bureau is that the backbone of the prosecution case,
that the bureau could have disrupted the plot had Mr. Moussaoui admitted
all he knew, represents a substantial revision of conventional wisdom at
the law enforcement agency.

For years, agents have expressed the view that Mr. Moussaoui knew little
about what his Qaeda superiors wanted of him and had said that it was
highly speculative whether more information would have deterred the
attacks.

A number of bureau officials have contended that even if the bureau had
more clues about the hijackers, they might have been able only to put them
under surveillance because they had not committed any crime.

Sally Regenhard of the Bronx, whose son, a probationary firefighter, was
killed in the collapse of the World Trade Center, said she was upset by
the reminders of the failure of law enforcement authorities to heed many
leads before the attacks.

"It's dismaying, but there it is," said Ms. Regenhard, who has been one of
the dozens of family members of Sept. 11 victims who have visited the
Virginia courtroom to observe the trial. "There were discrete warnings
known to the government. People don't realize this."

The most pivotal moment may occur next week, however, when Mr. Moussaoui
is expected to take the stand. Under the federal death penalty law, the
jurors have to consider first whether he is responsible for any of the
Sept. 11 deaths before they consider several factors in deciding whether
to order his execution. The jury would have to be unanimous in deciding he
bore responsibility for the trial to go to the next phase.

In addition to the evidence, the jurors may respond viscerally and decide
that Mr. Moussaoui is an odious figure undeserving of sympathy. They have
heard some of his outbursts in pretrial proceedings in which he proclaimed
in their presence his membership in Al Qaeda. He has said that he was
indeed training to fly a plane into a building but that he was not
involved in the Sept. 11 plot and should not be executed for it.

His testimony will give the jurors another opportunity to take his
measure.

(source: The New York Times)

******************

Moussaoui's fate a matter of 'What if?'----U.S. insists truth could have
thwarted 9/11 plot

Whether Zacarias Moussaoui lives or dies boils down to one question: "What
if?"

Prosecutors laid out their case this week: Had Moussaoui told the truth
when he was questioned 25 days before the attacks of September 11, 2001,
FBI agents might have tracked down the terrorists before they were able to
execute their plan.

Moussaoui has admitted being an al Qaeda agent but denied that he was to
have taken part in the September 11 plot. He was arrested on immigration
charges in August 2001. The government is seeking the death penalty
against him.

For 3 hours this week, jurors saw a dazzling interactive display showing
how the FBI quickly figured out the connections between the terrorist
pilots of the 4 hijacked passenger jets, and at least 7 of their "muscle"
hijackers who attacked the flight crews.

It was a tour de force of investigative skill -- tracing records of
telephone calls between the U.S.-based operatives and their overseas
paymasters, tracking those numbers to addresses where the hijackers lived,
obtaining bank and shopping records of the men, and discovering what
flight schools they attended to train for their mission.

But however rapid the detective work was, it all unfolded after the fact
-- with the help of all 11,000 FBI agents. Could the same web of al Qaeda
terrorism in America have been unraveled in the days between Moussaoui's
arrest and the attacks?

The premise of the testimony and presentation by Aaron Zebley, the last
government witness, was that if Moussaoui had admitted to being a would-be
hijacker, FBI agents might have tracked down the terrorists who were then
days away from buying their plane tickets.

U.S.: Lies protected 9/11 plot

Instead, Moussaoui told a series of lies, which prosecutors contend
protected the plot. His lies, they claim, make Moussaoui liable for at
least one of the 2,793 deaths that occurred when jets slammed into the
World Trade Center, the Pentagon and a field in Pennsylvania.

The defense counterweight to this theory has been to show the FBI's
bureaucratic blocking of the Moussaoui leads, such as they were, and the
government's slowness to act on information in its possession about two
leading hijackers who lived openly in the United States for 18 months
before the attacks.

"The FBI has to have a confession before anybody listens?" asked Moussaoui
defense attorney Edward MacMahon while cross-examining Zebley.

"Everyone would have been listening," a slightly rattled Zebley said, had
Moussaoui admitted why he was rushing to complete a Boeing 747 jet
simulator training, why he was buying knives with short blades and who was
sending him money.

If only Moussaoui allowed the arresting agents to look at his belongings,
they would have found Western Union receipts for $14,000 in wire transfers
from Germany and the name and phone number of the sender handwritten in
Moussaoui's notebook.

That information, Zebley said, would have been "something you could run
with."

Moussaoui's money transfers would have led the FBI to a key coordinator of
the plot -- Ramzi Binalshibh, a Yemeni who tried and failed four times to
acquire a visa to come to the United States. He sent Moussaoui the cash
and facilitated the activities of 3 hijacker-pilots who once shared an
apartment with him in Hamburg.

Using telephone records, Zebley showed how Binalshibh called an an Qaeda
operative in United Arab Emirates to get the money for Moussaoui, and how
that UAE number opened the door to the hijackers, who had also called that
number repeatedly in the summer of 2001. The phone calls revealed home
addresses, flight schools and communications among the conspirators.

"Was that information available to the FBI in August 2001?" prosecutor
Robert Spencer asked Zebley.

"It could have been," Zebley said. Building one layer of information onto
another led to 11 of 19 hijackers.

Agent: No 20th hijacker

Under cross examination, Zebley conceded Moussaoui never called that UAE
telephone number or any of the 19 hijackers.

"I don't think there's any such thing as a 20th hijacker," he said.

Carrie Lemack, whose mother, Judy LaRoque, was aboard the American
Airlines jet that crashed into the north tower of the World Trade Center,
has been watching via closed circuit broadcast available to families in
Boston, Massachusetts, where two of the four hijacked planes originated.

"The 'what coulds' go a lot further than Moussaoui," Lemack says. "What
could the government have done if they talked to Moussaoui more? If they
had someone try to talk to him in Arabic?" she says.

Lemack, who attended many hearings of the 9/11 Commission, says many
inside government did not act on the dire warnings about al Qaeda by
former White House counterterrorism coordinator Richard Clarke and former
CIA Director George Tenet.

"If Lee Harvey Oswald told someone he was going to shoot JFK, they could
have saved him, too. I thought it was the government's job to investigate,
not make terrorists do it for them If we're just waiting for the
terrorists to tell us where they're going to strike next, we're never
going to stop them," Lemack said. (9/11 families feel let down)

Zebley's summary came a day after a senior Transportation Security
Administration official said stricter security could have been put in
place at airports before September 11, had officials known of a conspiracy
to hijack airliners using small knives.

Moussaoui eager to testify

Robert Cammaroto said he could have issued a security directive banning
short knives, and mandating the airlines, which oversaw gate check-ins in
those days, to do physical searches of passengers whose luggage was
selected for additional screening.

"We could have done it in a couple of hours," he said. The FAA knew that
Muslim fundamentalists plotted to use airplanes as weapons, he said, but
the threat was perceived to be overseas.

The fear that Moussaoui was a potential hijacker was first expressed by
Harry Samit, the FBI agent who arrested him outside Minneapolis.

The day after Moussaoui stopped talking, Samit began sending e-mail to FBI
superiors about Moussaoui. He would send 70 in all, many in frustration as
FBI headquarters deemed insufficient his requests for warrants to search
Moussaoui's belongings.

The missed opportunities, independent of Moussaoui, to locate the
hijackers is the theme of Moussaoui's defense.

One of the possible defense witnesses when the trial resumes Monday may be
the defendant. Moussaoui, who rarely speaks to his attorneys, has said he
intends to testify.

"I will testify whether you want it or not," he declared Thursday as he
left court.

(source: CNN)

*********************

New trial sought for man on death row----An appeal to the state's top
court doubts the fairness of an '05 trial that found failure to prove the
Hampton man was retarded.

Daryl Atkins, the 28-year-old Hampton man whose case led the U.S. Supreme
Court to ban executions of the mentally retarded, is once again battling
to save his life.

At issue is whether Atkins, who is on death row, received a fair trial
last August when a York-Poquoson jury determined that his attorneys failed
to prove Atkins is mentally retarded.

Last month, Norfolk-based Capital Defender Joseph Migliozzi Jr. filed an
appeal for Atkins with the state Supreme Court. On Monday, the state
attorney general's office responded with its own legal brief, contesting
Migliozzi's arguments.

At Atkins' trial last August, defense attorneys argued that low
intelligence scores, poor academic performance, lack of reasoning ability
and social skills proved that Atkins was retarded.

Prosecutors successfully countered that Atkins' school records and IQ
scores of 59, 74, 67 and 76 - around the border of retardation -showed he
was simply a low-functioning person who made bad choices.

In a 50-page appellant brief filed in February, Migliozzi argued that
Atkins' constitutional rights were violated repeatedly in the nearly
2-week trial - the state's first to determine whether a defendant is
mentally retarded.

Atkins was originally sentenced to death in 1998 for killing 21-year-old
Langley Airman Eric Nesbitt in York County following a robbery. The death
sentence was eventually appealed to the U.S. Supreme Court, and, in 2002,
justices ruled that executing a mentally retarded criminal would be cruel
and unusual punishment.

But because the high court examines only constitutional matters and not
factual matters, Virginia courts had to decide whether Atkins is retarded.

Migliozzi argues that Atkins' rights were violated during last summer's
trial when Circuit Court Judge Prentis Smiley told jurors that Atkins had
already been sentenced to death.

"Atkins' case was remanded with the explicit instruction that jurors in
the proceeding be assigned the sole purpose of making a determination of
mental retardation, " the brief states.

"Despite the narrow focus required by statute ... the trial court told
jurors that Atkins was charged in 1996 and ... he was previously sentenced
to the ultimate penalty of death."

Migliozzi called the introduction of Atkins' death sentence and prior
criminal convictions "prejudicial" and "unnecessary" and a violation of
Atkins' rights.

But Katherine Baldwin, the state's senior assistant attorney general,
disagreed.

Baldwin argued in court papers this week that if the York-Poquoson circuit
court judge had barred the jury from knowing about Atkins' capital murder
conviction and death sentence, jurors might have been misled about their
role and felt less responsibility for their decision - violating a
previous Supreme Court decision.

"As the trial court correctly determined, the jury's accurate knowledge
about the case and the ramifications of their verdict would heighten, not
lessen, the jury's diligence and reliability of its verdict," she wrote.

Baldwin also argued that in the Supreme Court decision, justices expected
that the juries asked to determine whether a capital murder defendant is
mentally retarded would be the same juries that decide whether the
defendant is guilty. Baldwin said the jury last summer wasn't given any
information about Atkins' capital murder conviction that other juries
wouldn't get in capital cases where mental retardation is raised by
defense attorneys.

(source: Daily Press)

***********

New sentencing ordered for drug kingpin

In Richmond, a federal appeals court on Friday ordered a new sentencing
hearing for a former Portsmouth drug kingpin sentenced to death for
ordering three murders.

A 3-judge panel of the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals unanimously ruled
that the penalty phase of Richard Thomas Stitt's trial was tainted by his
attorney's conflict of interests.

Defense attorney Norman Malinski did not ask the court to appoint an
expert to testify about Stitt's potential future dangerousness because
such a request would have triggered an inquiry into the source of funds
used to pay the lawyer's fee, the appeals court said. Prosecutors had
maintained during trial that Malinski was being paid with drug money.

Malinski instead retained his own less expensive expert whose only
knowledge of federal prisons came from watching an HBO television special,
the appeals court said. In doing so, the court ruled, Malinski put his own
interests ahead of his client's.

The decision affirmed a ruling by U.S. District Judge Raymond A. Jackson
in Norfolk.

Stitt was convicted in 1998 of 3 counts of murder during a continuing
criminal enterprise and several drug and firearms offenses. Evidence at
his trial showed that he ordered murders and assaults to protect his turf
and to silence witnesses while he ran an extensive drug business in
Portsmouth's housing projects.

(source: Associated Press)

US MILITARY:

Victim's family: Airforce kept us in the dark

3 seasons passed - leaves fell, winter chilled the air and flowers bloomed
- before Kimberly Novak's family knew the cause of her death.

Novak, 20, the oldest daughter of Patricia and Donald Bollman, was killed
in her Cannon Air Force Base residence around Oct. 28, 2004. But the Air
Force did not disclose the violent cause of Novak's death, even to family
members, until last summer, soon after they received her autopsy report.
Not knowing how Novak died deepened the pain of losing their loved one,
her family said in telephone interviews on Wednesday.

"We've all been on pins and needles," said her father, a resident of
Arkansas.

"It was hard," her mother said, "not knowing exactly the cause of her
death. I really think (the Air Force) should have come to us sooner."

Airman Edward Novak II was charged Tuesday with murder in connection with
the death of his wife. She died, more than 16 months ago, as a result of
blunt force trauma to the head and neck, according to Air Force officials.

The cause of death was not the only information Air Force officials kept
from Kimberly Novak's family during the investigation, family members
said.

For several weeks after, family members said, the Air Force would not tell
them if Edward Novak was suspected of causing Kimberly's death. Patricia
Bollman said she didn't learn her daughter's husband was a primary suspect
until a month after her death.

Publicly, Air Force officials would not say if Novak's death was believed
to be a homicide until Tuesday, when they announced the murder charge in a
press release.

Family members said Edward Novak told them Kimberly died when a television
fell on her. Donald Bollman said his daughter was found in the bathroom,
struck with an object that's still unknown to him.

Members of Edward Novak's family did not return telephone calls seeking
comment. They have previously declined requests for interviews. Edward
Novak is being held in military custody, Cannon officials said, but they
declined to say where.

Because the death occurred on base, local authorities did not have
jurisdiction to investigate Kimberly Novaks death, according to 1st Lt.
James Nichols, chief deputy of the Cannon public affairs office.

Responding to a reporter's inquiries, Nichols said via e-mail the autopsy
report with the cause of death was issued by the New Mexico Office of the
Medical Investigator on June 17. He would not say when the Air Force
learned that Novak died a violent death. He said the Air Force will not
release the autopsy report, citing efforts to ensure "a fair military
justice process."

In a series of e-mails responding to questions from Freedom Newspapers of
New Mexico, Air Force officials provided little insight into the
investigation.

Asked why family members were not informed sooner that Kimberly Novak died
a violent death, Nichols' e-mailed: "Investigators provided regular
updates to the family during the course of the investigation."

Nichols would not discuss the timeline of the investigation, or when the
Air Force knew the cause of death was violent. "In the interest of
ensuring a fair military justice process, it is improper for the Air Force
to comment on the stages of the investigation," he wrote.

He would not address why Novak was charged more than 16 months after
Kimberly Novak died, except to say Air Force officials wanted to be
thorough in their investigation.

Despite mountains of difficulty obtaining information about Kimberly's
death, family members said they try not to harbor ill feelings toward the
Air Force.

Nonetheless, Kimberly's aunt, Lynda Crozier-Sweet, said she is frustrated
with the Air Force handling of the case.

"Up where I live in the north, you hear about something like this (murder)
happening on the news and within 1 or 2 days someone is being arraigned,"
said Crozier-Sweet, a former police dispatcher.

Why Novak was charged now is not clear. Family members said Air Force
officials have told them they had mounds of forensic evidence to sift
through, and the labs in the state that could process it were
bottlenecked.

Air Force officials at Cannon declined to comment on when they received
forensic evidence.

Her dealings with the military have left Crozier-Sweet angry.

"60 % of the time," Crozier-Sweet said, "(Air Force officials) were fair
and decent and civil. 40 % of the time, I got treated rather badly by
certain individuals who said they didnt have to talk to me, nor did they
have the time."

But for a family so long denied peace, some has finally arrived with
Tuesday's murder charge, Kimberlys mother said.

If convicted, Edward Novak could face the death penalty, Cannon officials
said. Other possible punishments include confinement for life, a
dishonorable discharge, total forfeiture of pay and allowances, or a
reduction to the lowest enlisted grade, according to Nichols.

The Bollmans said they are still tumbling through stages of grief.

"I lost my best friend," said Kimberlys sister, Julie Bollman of Illinois.
"Sometimes, I feel like I have no one to talk to."

"One of our gems was taken away," said Crozier-Sweet of her niece, who
loved the outdoors, would rise early to see the sunrise and was immersed
in the joys of being a new mother, "and she didnt have the chance to reach
her 21st birthday."

The fate of the Novaks' 3-year-old daughter, Rebecca, is still uncertain,
family members said.

She is in foster care in New Mexico, they said. They are pursuing custody
of Rebecca, along with Edward Novaks family.

(source: Portales News-Tribune)

ALABAMA:

Victim's husband grateful AG trying to reinstate death sentence

A Montgomery man whose wife was raped and killed by a 17-year-old intruder
in their home said he appreciates the attorney general trying to get the
killer's death sentence reinstated. But he isn't optimistic the U.S.
Supreme Court will reverse its decision against executing juvenile
murderers.

"I'm not hopeful. I'm just kind of neutral on how things are going to turn
out," Andy Mills said.

State Attorney General Troy King has asked the U.S. Supreme Court to
consider the case of Renaldo Adams and to use it to reverse the court's
2005 precedent banning the execution of killers who were under 18 when
they committed their crimes.

That ruling affected 13 teen killers in Alabama, including Adams.

"What they've done is a huge injustice to the victims and the victims'
families. I feel like the Supreme Court is not in touch with the everyday
world and everyday victims," Mills said in an interview Thursday.

King said Friday he knows he faces long odds, but after studying the
Alabama murder case, he had to try. "If we don't try, there's no chance
they are going to reverse," he said.

Adams' attorney, Bryan Stevenson, said King's request is without legal
support. "It looks purely like a political act so you can say you are
doing something about the issue," he said Friday.

Mills' wife, Melissa "Missy" Mills, was raped and stabbed to death in her
Montgomery home on Aug. 20, 1997. She was 4 months pregnant with her 4th
child - a boy.

Adams, the Mills' backyard neighbor, was convicted of capital murder and,
after the jury recommended a death sentence 10-2, a judge followed the
jury's recommendation.

Adams was 17 at the time of the killing.

For years that didn't matter. But in March 2005, the U.S. Supreme Court
ruled 5-4 that killers who were under 18 when they committed their crimes
shouldn't be executed. The justices noted in part that the United States
was out of step with the rest of the world in allowing teen executions.

Following that ruling, the Alabama Supreme Court issued an 8-0 decision in
December that reversed a lower court ruling upholding Adams' death
sentence. The next step would be for a lower court to change his sentence
to life in prison without parole.

But the attorney general stepped in Wednesday, filling papers with the
U.S. Supreme Court, asking it to review Adams' case and use it to
reconsider last year's decision on executing teen killers.

King said the court's decision "has been roundly criticized" and only the
justices can correct it.

King argues that some 16- and 17-year-old are capable of cold-blooded
calculation where the death penalty is warranted, and each case should be
addressed on an individual basis, rather than having a total ban.

"We respectfully submit that Renaldo Adams - rapist, robber, burglar, and
murderer of both Melissa Mills and her unborn child - was sufficiently
culpable and should be held fully accountable for his actions," King wrote
in his legal brief.

Adams' attorney said that in other legal questions about age - whether
it's buying cigarettes or voting - the minimum age to be considered an
adult is 18, and the Supreme Court made it clear that capital murder laws
should follow the same path.

"The law is settled on this issue," he said.

Mills, 41, said King and his staff discussed their plans with him before
filing the court papers, and he's grateful they are trying to get the U.S.
Supreme Court to reconsider.

Mills said he's not hopeful because the two new justices who have joined
the Supreme Court since the 2005 ruling replaced justices who were on the
minority side.

Recalling the early morning hours of the murder, Mills said he had fallen
asleep on his couch when he awoke to find Adams in his house, wearing a
stocking mask and carrying a knife.

Mills offered Adams money to leave. While Adams held Missy Mills at
knifepoint, Andy Mills went to a bank machine and withdrew the maximum
amount of cash - $375. According to trial testimony, that didn't satisfy
Adams.

Mills went to a grocery store to cash a check, and a clerk notified
police. When Mills and police returned to the home, Adams was still
inside, but Missy Mills had been raped and fatally stabbed. The Mills'
three children, then ages 7,3 and 1, were not injured.

Adams turned 17 on July 1, 1980 - nearly 2 months before the slaying.

To Mills, there is "absolutely" no question that Adams made adult
decisions to rape and kill Missy Mills even though he wasn't 18.

"I don't think that would have had any bearing on his maturity level or
competency level in committing this crime," he said.

(source: Associated Press)

*************************

Boys' grim legacy lives on

The picture shows 7 white men with long-barrel guns surrounding 9 black
men.

As a capital defense lawyer, Bryan Stevenson keeps that 1931 photo to
remind him that injustices aren't just a thing of the past in Alabama.

75 years ago today, those black men were arrested in northeast Alabama on
charges of raping 2 white women on a train ride from Tennessee. They would
be convicted by an all-white jury, despite one of their accusers
recanting. Eight would be sentenced to die.

They became known as the Scottsboro Boys.

"The issues that dominated the Scottsboro trials are still alive today,"
said Stevenson, who heads the Montgomery-based Equal Justice Initiative of
Alabama. "Scottsboro represents the threat created by discriminatory and
unjust application of the law. It was a galvanizing moment in both Alabama
and American history."

Clay Crenshaw, the state's lead capital prosecutor, is Stevenson's
adversary in the courtroom. They agree, though, about the Scottsboro
trials.

Crenshaw said the Scottsboro defendants "were railroaded" by a "court that
was serving as a lynch mob."

"It's a sorry example of what happened in Alabama," he said.

A great injustice

The defendants, all younger than 21, were tried about 3 weeks after their
arrests and all were convicted, according to the Public Broadcasting
System, which did exhaustive research for a 2001 documentary.

Only 1 defendant, who was 13 at the time of the trial, was not sentenced
to death.

Outraged by the sentences and shocked by the speedy trials, progressive
organizations raised money for the defendants, who were given new
attorneys through the International Labor Defense, an organization with
ties to the Communist Party.

The Alabama Supreme Court upheld all but one of the convictions. The U.S.
Supreme Court, though, ordered new trials on the grounds that the
defendants' attorneys failed to provide adequate assistance.

In one of the 2nd trials, accuser Ruby Bates denied being raped. She
testified that she and Victoria Price were with their boyfriends the night
before, which explained physical evidence that they had sexual
intercourse.

Still, despite a doctor's testimony there was no evidence of rape, the
all-white jury convicted the defendant and sentenced him to die.

The trial judge in the case, James E. Horton, ordered a new trial based on
the doctor's information and suspended trials for the others because of
high tensions in the community of Scottsboro.

The judge's decision was unpopular, and he was not re-elected.

"He never had any regrets about his decision," said Susan Horton Faulkner,
the judge's granddaughter. "He knew he had done the right thing. After the
doctors had talked to him, it wasn't a big decision for him."

The Limestone County Bar Association supported Horton in his re-election
bid to no avail, she said, and he spent the rest of his life working the
family farm and died in 1973.

The retrial Horton ordered was moved from Scottsboro to Decatur, but again
ended in conviction and death sentences.

The U.S. Supreme Court reversed the convictions because of the exclusion
of blacks on the jury rolls.

In 1936, 1 defendant was convicted afor the 4th time but did not receive a
death sentence as the jury's compromise to the foreman, who thought he was
innocent.

In 1937, 2 others were convicted and given long prison sentences, but
defense attorney Samuel Liebowitz was able to cut a deal with the
prosecution to drop rape charges against 4 of the defendants. The
prosecution also dropped rape charges against 1 more defendant, who was
convicted of stabbing a deputy on the way out of court and sentenced to 20
years.

Today's perspective

Despite the high court's rulings, Stevenson said Alabama still has
mountains to climb in providing fair treatment to poor and minority
defendants.

He pointed to the lack of funding for the state's criminal defense system
and the two dozen death penalty cases reversed because prosecutors
excluded blacks from juries without good reason.

Crenshaw said he thought comparing what happened in the Scottsboro trials
to today's criminal justice system is more than a stretch.

"If anybody compares our system today with what happened then (he) is just
out of touch with reality," he said.

He said just because 24 death penalty cases have been reversed doesn't
mean prosecutors in Alabama are racist.

"It just proves they may have inappropriately struck somebody (from the
jury) and couldn't come up with a valid, race-neutral reason," he said.
"If the defense counsel struck 15 whites from a jury, I don't think that
means they're racist. I think they're trying to pick the best jury for
their side."

Flawed system

It's not surprising all-white juries continued to convict the Scottsboro
defendants because white Southerners during that time were conditioned to
believe white women who accused blacks of rape, said Dan T. Carter, author
of "Scottsboro: A Tragedy in the American South."

"There was this notion that you had to set an example to black men that
once you're accused, you're dead," he said.

The Scottsboro trials served as a springboard for change in the criminal
defense system in the South, he said. Blacks began to fight injustice,
despite the consequences.

"Beginning with Scottsboro, there were a lot of blacks who would say, 'I
know it's a long shot, but I'm going to raise hell about it,' " Carter
said.

He said the system has gotten better, but like Stevenson he said it's
still not close to neutral. White victims, he said, are 4 times more
likely to have a death sentence rendered against their perpetrator than a
black victim.

"Certainly, you're not going to see another Scottsboro today," he said.
"But it's still apparent the criminal justice system is not neutral."

In Alabama, efforts are underway to set up an Indigent Criminal Defense
Commission to oversee attorneys who represent the poor.

Joe Van Heest, president of the Alabama Criminal Defense Lawyers
Association, would like to see the state set caseload limitations for
defense attorneys so they can better represent poor defendants. He would
like to see stricter qualification standards for attorneys.

"You don't want someone right out of law school defending a class A
felony," he said.

While capital defense attorneys need five years experience, there are no
standards for other defense attorneys, he said.

Stevenson, who has dedicated his career to representing the poor, agreed.
Defense attorneys who represent the poor are under-funded and overworked,
he said, and racial bias is still apparent.

"There's a lot we still have to learn from Scottsboro," he said. "We need
more accountability. The poor people deserve it."

***************************

King wants killer's reprieve reversed

[...]

support. "It looks purely like a political act," he said.

[...]

But the attorney general stepped in Wednesday, filing papers with the U.S.
[...]

Mills said he's not hopeful because the 2 new justices who have joined the
Supreme Court since the 2005 ruling replaced justices who were on the
minority side.

Recalling the early morning hours of the murder, Mills said he had fallen
asleep on his couch when he awoke to find Adams in his house, wearing a
stocking mask and carrying a knife.

Mills offered Adams money to leave. While Adams held Missy Mills at
knifepoint, Andy Mills went to a bank machine and withdrew the maximum
amount of cash -- $375. According to trial testimony, that didn't satisfy
Adams.

Mills went to a grocery store to cash a check, and a clerk notified
police. When Mills and police returned to the home, Adams was still
inside, but Missy Mills had been raped and fatally stabbed. The Mills' 3
children, then ages 7,3 and 1, were not injured.

Adams turned 17 on July 1, 1980 -- nearly 2 months before the slaying.

To Mills, there is "absolutely" no question that Adams made adult
decisions to rape and kill Missy Mills even though he wasn't 18.

"I don't think that would have had any bearing on his maturity level or
competency level in committing this crime," he said.

(source for both: Associated Press)

FLORIDA:

Father guilty in infant's death----A jury convicted him of murder after
going on a rampage when he was woken early.

Anthony "Bubba" Oyibo could face the death penalty after a Jacksonville
jury found him guilty Friday of 1st-degree murder in the beating and
shaking death of his 4-month-old son, Jacob, an act prosecutors called
"conscious, deliberate and vicious."

Oyibo, 23, stood stoically next to his court-appointed defense lawyers,
David Barksdale and Hank Coxe, as the verdicts on all 6 counts he faced
were read -- guilty, guilty, guilty, guilty, guilty, guilty. In addition
to murdering little Jacob, he was found guilty of aggravated child abuse,
kidnapping, carjacking, burglary and attempted armed robbery.

The jury of seven men and five women deliberated for 5 hours after a 6-day
trial before returning their verdicts to Circuit Judge Lance Day.

They were instructed to return to court April 5 for the penalty phase of
the trial when prosecutors Jay Plotkin and Mose Floyd plan to seek the
death penalty on the murder conviction.

Day instructed all those connected with the case -- jurors, attorneys and
the witnesses -- not to speak with anyone about the case because he
considers it still open until the conclusion of the penalty phase.

The jury did not find Oyibo guilty of premeditated 1st-degree murder, but
of first-degree murder during the commission of aggravated child abuse, a
felony. While he still could get the death penalty, the defense could use
that fact to his advantage in pleading for the jury to spare his life.

Oyibo's former girlfriend and Jacob's mother, Kristie Gergely, dabbed
tears as the verdicts were read and left the courtroom without comment.

Defense lawyers had tried to blame the baby's death on her.

Oyibo and Gergely shared a small apartment on the Westside on May 6, 2003,
with their son, Jacob, and Gergely's two other children, Deven, 5, and
Anayah, 16 months.

Oyibo, prosecutors said, became angry that day because the children woke
him up, and Gergely had not fixed him anything to eat.

Oyibo locked Gergely in the bathroom and returned a few minutes later
holding Anayah by her shirt. When he closed the door, she said she heard
two loud thumps. Oyibo told Gergely that Anayah was bleeding and it was
Deven's fault, but he wouldn't let her tend to Anayah, prosecutors said.

Gergely told the jury Oyibo attempted to strangle her with an electrical
cord and hit her in the head with a log. She managed to get away and, as
she fled the apartment, Oyibo warned her not to put their "business" on
the street or he would kill her.

Gergely managed to call police, who found Jacob dead on a mattress with
whiplash and blunt trauma injuries all over his head and neck.

Anayah was in her crib lying in a pool of blood. She was taken to Shands
Jacksonville, where she survived.

Oyibo fled the apartment with Deven and hid in a boat in the boat yard
next door until dark. He stole the boat's flare gun and attempted to steal
a customer's truck. When that didn't work, Oyibo used the flare gun to
torch the truck and forcibly steal a car from a woman who had come to the
boat yard.

He drove Deven in the stolen car to some of Oyibo's relatives in Vero
Beach, then hid in a vacant house. When police closed in, Oyibo shot
himself in the mouth with the flare gun and had to be hospitalized.

(source: Florida Times-Union)