Sept. 20

TEXAS:

Trial Starts, East Texas Man Accused Of Murdering 93-Year-Old

The capital murder trial of Clifton Lamar Williams began today. Williams
is accused of robbing, stabbing 93 year old Cecelia Schneider in Tyler
last year and then burning her house down. Because of a leak in Judge
Cynthia Kent's courtroom yesterday Williams' trial was delayed. Today, the
trial began in a federal courtroom.

Smith County District Attorney, Matt Bingham's opening statements lasted
almost an hour. Bingham demonstrated for the jury- how he believes
Williams stabbed Schneider in her heart with a knife. He says that
explains the cut on Williams' hand. Bingham says Williams' DNA was found
in Schneider's car: from his blood and saliva from a cigarette.

The defense argued the cut on Williams' hand is from fighting with a man.
They say Clifton Williams is also known as "Crazy C" because he's a mental
patient from the Andrews Center in Tyler. The defense says an acquaintance
of Williams' forced him to go to Schneider's home that night.

The jury makeup in this trial is 5 women and 9 men that includes the 2
alternates. If convicted, Williams faces the death penalty. Judge Kent
told the jury it may take up to 2 to 3 weeks. She also said they may be
able to move back to the Smith County Courthouse on Thursday.

(source: KLTV News)

***********

Large reward offered for information in 1992 convenience store murder

In San Antonio, a reward of up to $12,000 is being offered for clues in
the 1992 murder of Darren Holden, a store manager killed on his birthday.

The reward includes a guaranteed $7,000 from the victim's family, and up
to $5,000 more from Crime Stoppers.

"Darren was just a good boy. Never gave us any trouble at all, never,"
said Melvin Holden, Darren's father.

Darren, 24, was the manager at the Phillips 66 on St. Mary's Street. On
Feb. 8, 1992, police said 2 Hispanic men and 1 Hispanic woman shot and
stabbed Darren before he opened the store for business.

"It's been 14 1/2 years. No closure," his father said.

However, police are tracking new leads.

"We do have information coming in. These individuals actually bragged
about this murder and have discussed it through the years," said Det. Liz
Greiner, with the San Antonio Police Department's cold case unit.

Police said Darren was robbed of his wallet, watch and rings, and so for
now, the motive appears to be robbery.

Investigators said the female suspect and her 2 male accomplices are just
1 phone call away from being arrested for the crime.

"It's amazing. One person may think it's just a small little detail, but
that fills in the piece of the puzzle for us," Greiner said.

For that reason, Holden holds out hope that his son's killers will soon be
brought to justice.

"Keep looking over your shoulder, because statute of limitations never
runs out on murder. They gonna get ya eventually," he said.

If you've heard anyone bragging about killing Darren Holden, call Crime
Stoppers at (210) 224-STOP (7867).

You don't have to give your name. Crime Stoppers will assign you a special
identification number.

If your anonymous tip leads to an arrest, you could make up to $5,000 from
Crime Stoppers, and a guaranteed $7,000 from the victim's family.

(source: KENS 5 Eyewitness News)

************

Rethinking Richards' legacy

Enough with the myth-making already. Liberal commentators have been
falling all over themselves for the last week to get a word in about how
much they just loved Ann Richards, painting a picture of the former
governor that has nothing to do with reality. So, she was "feisty" and
"witty," and it was just hilarious when she got on that Harley. Ann
Richards sure was a barrel of fun.

Unless you were in prison or on death row, that is. She oversaw the
largest prison expansion in U.S. history, adding greatly to the number of
Texans, primarily blacks and Hispanics, locked away for years on end. She
also presided over 50 executions.

Despite what her defenders say, her hands weren't tied on this issue. Most
members of the Board of Pardons and Paroles are appointed by the governor,
and the board's chairman serves "at the pleasure of the governor" (Texas
Administrative Code). Given the flaws of the Texas justice system, she
could have instructed the board to commute all death sentences they
reviewed to life in prison. But she didn't. What kind of "civil rights
pioneer" doesn't do anything to stop the Texas death penalty that so
unfairly targets people of color and the poor?

And what kind of "progressive" was Richards when she callously signed the
death warrant of Johnny Frank Garrett, a juvenile offender? Amnesty
International cited Garrett as being "extremely mentally impaired,
chronically psychotic and brain-damaged." Who is remembering her for this?
Progressives need to stop making excuses for the miserable "leaders" who
claim to represent us. We should expect so much more.

Some may say it's inappropriate to criticize Richards at the time of her
death. If her family or friends happen to read this, perhaps they could
reflect on the pain they feel and begin to understand the pain that the
families and friends of so many killed in the Texas execution chamber felt
during the tenure of this "witty" and charming "true Texas icon."

Quent Reese----First-year doctor of pharmacy student

(source : The (Univ. Texas) Daily Texan)

USA:

Website lets Basham 'speak' from death row

The website lists Brandon Basham as the youngest inmate on federal death
row, someone who enjoys reading, television and music and invites
correspondence from the outside to his prison address in Indiana.

2 years ago, Basham, along with fellow escaped Kentucky prisoner and
accomplice Chadrick Fulks, was sentenced to death for the November 2004
abduction and death of Galivants Ferry, S.C., resident Alice Donovan.

The 2 admitted bringing Donovan, whose body was never found, to Brunswick
County. Last year, Basham and Fulks also received life sentences for the
killing of West Virginia student Samantha Burns, who disappeared 3 days
before Donovan. Like Donovan, Burns' body has never been located.

Now, a website, deathrowspeaks.info, contains a profile and photographs of
Basham, 25, along with other federal, state and military death row
inmates.

"I've been here for a year and it's a real lonely place," reads the entry
posted on the website within the past year under two digital photographs
of Basham wearing a white T-shirt and sporting his biceps.

"I'm originally from the state of Kentucky," continues the entry. "Was
born and raised there. I am a single white guy, never married and I've not
fathered any children. These are things which I think about a lot. I'll
likely never have an opportunity to experience a normal life on the
outside. That's a depressing and disturbing prospect."

The entry goes on to relate, "I spend my time here doing things in order
to occupy my mind, body and spirit. I love to read, including self-help,
spiritual and educational books. For pleasure I read books by Stephen
King, John Grisom [sic] and many others. I love watching movies on TV and
listening to music on my walkman.

"I stay in tip top physical shape by working out three to five times a
week. I do exercises for strength, endurance and for cardiovascular
health. We aren't allowed to lift weights, do pull-ups, etc. so I'm
required to get creative with my workout program. My physical description
is: Solid, athletic build with great muscle tone, 5' 10", 192 pounds,
brown hair and eyes.

"I have many interests including beaches, the outdoors, swimming, cycling,
nature, meeting new people and living life to the fullest when possible.

"I am the youngest of two children. My sister is several years older than
me. I'm fortunate to have her and my niece in my life. Our mother died
this past July (2005) which has left a void in my heart. I also am
thankful to have friends. I hope that someone reading this profile will
decide to write me. Receiving mail from those of you on the outside would
mean a lot. I promise to answer all letters promptly. Thanks for reading
about me."

The entry concludes with Basham's death-row address in Terre Haute, Ind.

Fulks, 29, along with other inmates, is listed on the website as well, but
with no profile or pictures.

Federal inmates aren't allowed to have access to the Internet, Mike
Truman, spokesman for the Federal Bureau of Prisons in Washington, D.C.,
said Tuesday.

Truman said he could only guess it would be an outside person posting the
information-"a family member or friend."

Basham, like other death-row inmates, is allowed to correspond with
anyone, Truman said.

Such "pen-pal" prison websites are beyond the department's control, Truman
added.

"It's just like you starting your own website," he said. "I have no
control on what you do on your own site."

A mission statement posted on the site, launched in 2001 by 2 death row
inmates "along with friends on the outside," describes it as "an advocate
web site in opposition to the Death Penalty...and to encourage activisim
on the part of our visitors."

It also aims to display "the humanity of death row inmates" by posting
their writings and works of art.

Brunswick County Chief Jailer Kevin Holden said he objects to the website.

"I personally don't think that convicted murderers should have the ability
to post things on their own website," Holden said. "I don't think [Basham]
should have that ability, I really don't.

"It's a shame that several lives have been wasted because of him," Holden
added. "And the reason he is where he is is because he is a self-admitted
murderer or confessed murderer. He put himself in that position, and I
don't think he should have the ability to have his own website there."

Death row prisoners' listings on the site also are broken down by state.
Currently, there are no listings for North Carolina inmates.

"There is a bunch of these kind of inmate pen-pal sites," said Keith
Acree, spokesman for the North Carolina Department of Correction, adding
that state death-row inmates, like federal inmates, don't have access to
the Internet.

"If they get posted, it's because they've written and asked or had someone
post for them," Acree said. "We don't prohibit them from putting
information up here, but we don't give them access to do it themselves. My
guess is somebody probably posted it for [Basham]."

Whether information gets posted or not, "depends on the rumor mill," Acree
added. "Word spreads pretty quick among [inmates]."

The website notes sometimes people are wrongfully incarcerated and placed
on death row. Holden said he agrees innocent people may wind up there.

"But in Basham's case, he has admitted to taking other people's innocent
life, so that pretty much removes all doubt, in my opinion," Holden said.

Finding him posted on the Internet is "sad for everybody involved," Holden
said, noting that Basham's victims, along with the victims' families,
"probably at one time enjoyed the same things that he did, that he would
like to do, and they don't have any opportunity anymore."

(source: The Brunswick Beacon)