Champaign, IL 61820 USA
217-333-7954 (voice)
217-244-1478 (fax)
fboyle at law.uiuc.edu
(personal comments only)

-----Original Message-----
From: thenobelpeaceprizetor...@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:thenobelpeaceprizetoryan at yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Boyle,
Francis
Sent: Wednesday, April 19, 2006 7:56 AM
To: thenobelpeaceprizetoryan at yahoogroups.com
Subject: [thenobelpeaceprizetoryan] Ryan Verdict

 Update Schedule:  Daily
   Report Format:  FULL
      Date Saved:  July 01, 2004               Previous Results: 269
     Last Update:  April 19, 2006           Last Update Results: 2
     Next Update:  April 20, 2006        Total Results (Apr 19): 271

Note:

                                1 of 2 DOCUMENTS

                   Copyright 2006 Paddock Publications, Inc.
                              Chicago Daily Herald

                             April 18, 2006 Tuesday
                                  All Editions

SECTION: NEWS; Pg. 10

LENGTH: 141 words

HEADLINE: Professor thinks verdict will help Nobel Peace Prize effort

BODY:

   SPRINGFIELD - A University of Illinois law professor who's repeatedly
nominated George Ryan for the Nobel Peace Prize said Monday's guilty
verdict might actually help the former governor win the coveted award.

   "In my opinion the federal government went after him for his death
penalty work, and indeed it might help Ryan over there in Norway, where
he is idolized," said Francis Boyle, a law professor at the school's
Urbana-Champaign campus.

   Boyle has nominated the former governor for a Nobel Peace Prize every
year since Ryan cleared death row in early 2003. This year is no
exception. Boyle said he's already submitted the paperwork for the 2006
award, which will be announced in October.

   Boyle said Monday that the Nobel committee will see Ryan's
prosecution for what he believes it is - retaliation for his anti- death
penalty actions.

   - Cara Spoto

LOAD-DATE: April 18, 2006

                                2 of 2 DOCUMENTS

                     Copyright 2006 Chicago Sun-Times, Inc.
                              All Rights Reserved
                               Chicago Sun Times

                             April 18, 2006 Tuesday
                                 Final Edition

SECTION: NEWS; Pg. 12

LENGTH: 637  words

HEADLINE: Political reaction

BYLINE: Scott Fornek, Dave McKinney, Tracy Swartz and Steve Warmbir, The
Chicago Sun-Times

BODY:

   Sadness over a tarnished legacy, disappointment at another corrupt
governor, elation over vindicated claims of wrongdoing and bitter
delight in seeing a politician's career go down in flames.

   Those were among the wide range of emotions that former Gov. George
Ryan's conviction brought Monday from politicians, supporters, critics
and others who knew the Kankakee Republican.

   Democrat Glenn Poshard, who lost the 1998 governor's race to Ryan
after making corruption an issue: "I feel bad for the Ryan family. . . .
I feel worse for the state, frankly. . . . This is going to paint a bad
image for our state."

   Gov. Blagojevich: "Today's verdict proves that no one is above the
law. And just as important, it proves that government is supposed to
exist for the good of the people, not the other way around, and
certainly not for the personal enrichment of those who hold public
office."

   State Treasurer Judy Baar Topinka, GOP candidate for governor: "Now
that the jury has spoken, it's time for all of us to move forward with a
renewed commitment to honoring the public's trust by upholding the
highest standards of honesty and integrity in government."

   Thomas Ramos Jr., brother of Deborah Sepulveda, who was killed with
her two children in 1988 by one of the 167 murderers Ryan took off Death
Row: "I was very pleased as far as seeing what he has coming to him. . .
. It will never bring my sister back, but I'm just glad what happened to
him because I don't like what happened with my family."

   Francis Boyle, law professor trying to get Ryan the Nobel Peace Prize
for sparing the lives of the Death Row inmates: "We're still proceeding.
My committee and I are trying to convince them to give the Nobel Peace
Prize to George Ryan for his courage and heroic opposition to the death
penalty in America. . . . This really changes nothing on our part."

   U.S. Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.): "My hope would be that those who are
now in public office and those who are seeking public office in the
future would use Gov. Ryan as an abject lesson and understand that being
an elected official involves enormous public trust."

   Roger "The Hog" Stanley, who pleaded guilty to bribery charges in
2003 and cooperated with the feds' ongoing corruption probes: "I feel
very sorry for George and his family. I think he was a good governor,
yes. He was a fair man. He had a big heart for people."

   Russell Sonneveld, ex-secretary of state investigator whose probe
into the 1994 fatal crash that killed six children was quashed by Ryan
aides: "I thought the government had a good case. I'd have been happy
with just one guilty count. He loses his pension with that. Outstanding.
Outstanding."

   Tammy Raynor, former license examiner who uncovered bribes being
traded for licenses and was discredited by Ryan aides: "This will act as
a deterrent, and people will see this as a new day in Illinois. For me,
it will provide much-needed closure. I'm feeling enormous vindication
today."

   Former Ryan press aide Dave Urbanek: "I just did not think the
evidence was there. It's hard to fight a system where the prosecution
has used the media to convict him before the trial started."

   Actor and anti-death penalty activist Mike Farrell, who testified for
Ryan during the trial: "Well, that's devastating. It must be to the
family certainly and to those of us who are fans of the governor and
believe in his character. . . . Certainly, I think he will do down in
history as a man whose action was a watershed event in the American use
of the death system."

   Taylor Pensoneau, a political reporter from 1965 to 1978 who has
written biographies of former Governors Richard Ogilvie and Dan Walker:
"This will dominate his legacy. Illinoisans, almost to the last person,
will not recall hardly anything about his governorship, about his
accomplishments or his defeats, only this."

GRAPHIC:
Color Photo: (Glenn Poshard.);
Photo: (Mike Farrell.)

LOAD-DATE: April 18, 2006

102QTM
**********  Print Completed  **********
Time of Request:   April 19, 2006  05:35 AM EDT
Print Number:      2842:94664347
Number of Lines:   87
Number of Pages:   1

*        To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: