May 19

TEXAS:

Mother charged with capital murder----Report: 2 1/2-year-old girl died
from blunt force trauma to the head

In Brownsville, the mother of a 2 1/2-year-old Harlingen girl who died
Feb. 17 has been indicted on a capital murder charge, a Cameron County
District Attorneys Office spokesman said Friday.

A grand jury indicted Melissa Elizabeth Lucio, 37, Chief First Assistant
District Attorney Charles Mattingly said.

The childs father, Roberto Antonio Alvarez, 36, was indicted on a charge
of injury to a child, serious bodily injury by omission, Mattingly said.

The pair were arrested the same day as the girls death, Mattingly said.
The toddler was pronounced dead at the scene.

In February, a Texas Department of Family and Protective Services
spokeswoman said seven children, including the toddler who died in
February, were removed from an apartment in 2004 and returned in November
2006.

The parents had both found jobs, had taken anger management courses,
random drug tests and counseling before a hearing was held to allow the
return of their children, Regina Garcia, a Corpus Christi-area spokeswoman
for the state agency, said.

Monitoring by the Child Protective Service continued after the children
were returned, she said. After the February death of the child, several
relatives requested custody of the children, who were placed in foster
care, Garcia said.

A preliminary autopsy report said the toddler died from blunt force trauma
to the head.

Capital murder is punishable by Capital Life without possibility of parole
or by the death penalty, Mattingly said.

Injury to a child, serious bodily injury, by omission, is a 1st-degree
felony, punishable by 5 to 99 years or life in prison and as much as a
$10,000 fine, he said.

(source: Valley Morning Star)

**********************

Copperas Cove man pleads not guilty in death of infant son

A Copperas Cove man on Friday pleaded not guilty to 2 charges, including
one for capital murder, in connection with the injury and death of his
23-month-old son.

Antoine Shields, 28, was arraigned in 52nd District Court before Judge
Phillip Zeigler on one count of capital murder and one count of
first-degree felony injury to a child in the March 24 death of Keyken
Vanhardenberg-Wade.

Coryell County District Attorney David Castillo said he has not decided
whether he will seek the death penalty.

"Each case has to be evaluated independently. We will look at the totality
of the circumstances to make that decision," Castillo said.

Zeigler did not set a date for Shields' next court appearance.

"He is contemplating contacting a death penalty-certified defense attorney
in anticipation of a death penalty being sought, which he is required to
do by law," Castillo said.

Anthony L. Smith of Temple is the court-appointed attorney for Shields,
who was indicted Tuesday by a Coryell County grand jury.

Smith said he plans to remain on the case, but he is not certified by the
Court of Criminal Appeals as a death penalty-qualified attorney, and
therefore may have to take second chair if the state pursues capital
punishment.

"He is deeply saddened by the death of his child," Smith said of his
client. "This is a good opportunity to educate the public on signs of
internal injuries and to know they need to seek medical help, especially
young, inexperienced parents."

The toddler's mother, 22-year-old Tashawna Vanhardenberg, also was
indicted Tuesday on three counts of injury to a child. Her arraignment is
scheduled for May 25.

The indictment charged Shields with the death of his son by "striking or
causing (Vanhardenberg-Wade) to strike an unknown object or surface" and
then causing serious bodily injury by omission for subsequently failing to
obtain reasonable medical care.

Vanhardenberg also was accused of striking her son and failing to obtain
medical care and was charged with causing serious bodily injury by failing
to protect the child from Shields, according to the indictment.

The grand jury decided the appropriate charges for each parent based on an
investigation conducted by the Copperas Cove Police Department and the
Texas Rangers, Castillo said.

According to the arrest affidavits, Shields and Vanhardenberg told police
conflicting accounts of the events leading up to the child's death.

Police records state the parents told officers upon arrival the boy was
injured when one of his siblings pulled a microwave down on top of the
child's head at the Cactus Motel in Copperas Cove.

However, when questioned separately, Shields told officers the child was
injured when Vanhardenberg threw the boy and caught him by the leg,
causing him to hit his head on the floor.

According to the affidavit, Shields said that he "was able to hear the
bone shatter and break and that Keyken was then unable to walk or
respond."

When Vanhardenberg was questioned, however, she told police she had been
away from home but returned to find the child, who was unresponsive, being
held in the shower by Shields, the affidavit states.

Shields and Vanhardenberg failed to notify authorities and emergency
personnel until at least one hour after the injury occurred, the arrest
affidavit states.

The two are being held in the Coryell County Jail. Their bonds were set at
$400,000 apiece.

(source: Killeen Daily Herald)

**********************

Killing time

This day was about Tim Hudson.

His name and stories about his life were on the lips of all who went
Wednesday to witness the execution of the man convicted of his murder.

There were stories about the father, grandfather, friend, co-worker and
Pecos County Sheriffs deputy who was shot in the line of duty.

And, it was a final chapter in an 18-year-long story for Kerrville
resident Gwinn Hudson-Simmons, who made the 325-mile trip to Huntsville
Prison to see her fathers killer  Charles Edward Smith  put to death.

Anticipation

With the execution more than 4 hours away, Hudson-Simmons could hardly sit
still. To fill some time, she and the others  her son James and fianc,
Tommy Ryno; former Pecos County Sheriff Bruce Wilson; friend, Javier
Ybarra; and 112th District Attorney Laurie English  visited the Texas
Prison Museum, just about a mile from their hotel.

A short video on the prison system in Texas played on a small screen while
the group sat on baby blue benches that were once used by inmates in the
Walls and Ellis prison units during leisure time.

Hudson-Simmons reached over and gently rubbed her sons back. She winced
and shook her head when the voice on the video said how many inmates are
released on parole every year.

After the video, talk quickly focused on Tim Hudson.

"Every time one of my kids accomplishes anything, I think about my dad,
and how he missed out on so much," Hudson-Simmons said. "My dad always had
such a great sense of humor. He saw the positive and humor in everything."

Many of Hudson's friends and even his wife, Vera, now are deceased, but
his daughter said there is no denying that he was full of life and taken
too quickly.

"My dad was so friendly, even to the people he arrested," she said. "He
would buy you a steak on the way to the jail."

Remembrance

As a teen, Hudson-Simmons would often ride in the patrol car with her dad.

"There were 3 cops in town, and he was one of them," she said, laughing.
"One night we went to work a domestic violence call. My dad grabbed his
flashlight and went inside the house. The next thing you know, the wife,
who called the cops, jumps on his back. Well, he gets her off and then the
husband comes out and spits on my dad, and it hits him in between the
eyes.

"Well, my dad wasn't going to take that. He took his flashlight and
started beating him with it. My dad taught that guy a lesson in respect."

Wandering through the museum of old handcuffs and memorabilia from famous
gun battles, the magnitude of the evening's event began to sink in.

"It never occurred to me that this could happen to my dad," Hudson-Simmons
said. "This has been a long time coming. Putting him to death will
guarantee that this man will not kill anyone else's family member."

Later while eating lunch, several members of the group talked about what
they would say to Smith if they were given the opportunity.

One of those was Bruce Wilson, who was a friend of Hudson and also sheriff
at the time Hudson was killed. Wilson, soft spoken but a lawman to the
core, with a stern look on his face said, "I would say, 'Remember that
little song you sang? Well now I am singing.'"

Wilson was referring to Smith singing the 1970s Eric Clapton song "I Shot
the Sheriff" and amending the words to say, "But in my case it was the
deputy," while in the Pecos County Jail.

After lunch, the group headed to death row for the preparation process.

Last breath

The execution was set for 6 p.m. The time had finally arrived. The moment
she had been waiting for. Before being allowed in the waiting room, all
who were to witness the death were searched and then scanned with a
handheld metal detector.

Hudson-Simmons and other witnesses waited at the end of a long hallway in
a building that once housed death row inmates. It was hot and humid.
Trouble locating Smith's viable veins to carry the deadly drugs created a
delay that felt hours long.

Entering the witness room, the first sight was Smith, dressed in white,
strapped to a T-shaped gurney, his arms stretched out and secured. A long
white sheet covered him from his chest to his feet. His dark, thick
glasses sat on his nose.

For being Texas' death chamber, it wasn't as gloomy as one would imagine.
The aqua green walls were almost friendly, but what was about to occur was
apparent when looking back at Smith.

A chaplain dressed in all black was a stark contrast to Smiths white
shroud. The chaplain had 1 hand on Smiths leg. The other was holding a
small black Bible with gold binding.

Hudson-Simmons and Wilson were the first to walk into the viewing room.
Smith slightly turned his head to the left and glanced at the 2. They were
the last 2 people he would see.

Just a few feet away in a separate viewing room were friends who Smith had
invited to watch him take his final breath.

A black microphone hung awkwardly above Smith. The warden asked if he had
any last words. He simply said, "No, sir."

With that simple answer, the drugs began flowing through his veins.

Ryno put his hand on Hudson-Simmons' shoulder. She grabbed his hand and
held it tight as Smith began what sounded like snoring. Slightly
trembling, Hudson-Simmons bowed her head  just feet from the man who
killed her father 18 years ago.

Wilson, standing next to Hudson-Simmons, was filled with emotion as he
heard the sounds of the dying man. He bowed his head, tears welling up.
Hudson-Simmons reached over and soothed him with a gentle touch.

The snoring-like sounds continued for minutes, then nothing.

The witness room was silent. Smith was silent. His breathing began to
slow. The rise and fall of his chest became almost invisible. His lips
turned blue.

A doctor came in. Hudson-Simmons tensed and looked wide-eyed as the doctor
searched for a pulse. He found none.

The silence, which lasted for what seemed like an eternity, was broken at
the sound of a voice saying "6:41"  the time of death. Just 11 minutes
after the drugs were administered, Smith was gone.

One by one, the witnesses filed out of the viewing room. On last glance,
the white sheet had been pulled over Smith's face.

He was 41.

Moving on

After the execution, Hudson-Simmons agreed to speak at a press conference.

"I'm glad he didn't say anything negative," she said. "You wait on
something 18 years that should have been done years ago, it's just the
right thing to have happen.

"I doubt most taxpayers know that their money goes for this kind of thing
to drag 18 years. I think we need to speed up the process. ... It's not a
happy occasion for anyone, but it is justice and it's about my father and
his life and honoring him."

Hudson-Simmons was adamant that taxpayers should realize the cost
associated with keeping someone on death row.

"Not only is this important to my family, but also from a taxpayers point
of view," she said. "We pay for these people to live on death row. This
guy got a bachelor's degree in criminal justice for free while on death
row."

According to the Texas Department of Criminal Justice, the cost per day of
keeping a prisoner on death row is $61.58.

"Multiply that times 18 years. It really adds up," she said. "Now, all we
have to do is change laws that require us to feed and house and educate
these criminals for 18 years before justice is served."

Hudson-Simmons said she plans to work and talk to representatives about
pushing up executions.

Since her family learned of the execution date, she said they have been
reliving the whole ordeal.

"4 trials in 18 years keeps it pretty fresh," she said.

Smith was sentenced to death 3 times. The first 2 convictions were
overturned by the Texas Criminal Court of Appeals because of alleged juror
bias and errors in jury instructions.

"We need to execute these criminals in a timely manner. This sends the
message that we do not tolerate cop killers in Texas," she said. "One
thing is for sure, he (Smith) won't kill again."

As for Hudson-Simmons, she said she can finally have closure.

"We (she and Bruce Wilson) always said we wanted to be the last thing he
saw, and we were," she said. "He got a much better deal than my father
did."

What would her dad have said, were he there? Hudson-Simmons simply smiled
and replied, "Good job."

A scrapbook containing the past 18 years of newspaper clippings that
Hudson-Simmons created as a memorial to her father still has a few missing
pages in the back. Now, she can finish it.

(source: Kerrville Daily Times)

ARKANSAS----new death sentence

Warren man convicted in April 2005 killing receives death penalty

A Warren man convicted in the April 2005 killing of a man in a wheelchair
has been sentenced to death.

Bradley County Circuit Court Judge Bynum Gibson sentenced Gibson Derek
Sales, 46, to death Thursday, following a jury's recommendations. A jury
deliberated about 2 hours before returning with the death sentence, said
Prosecutor Thomas Deen.

The jury convicted Sales of stabbing and strangling Willie York, 56, after
a 4-day trial. Sales also received a life sentence on an aggravated
robbery charge due to the court's determination he was a habitual
offender. Police said they found Sales in York's home the day after the
April 16, 2005 killing.

Sales was already serving 75 years in prison before a Christmas Eve 2005
escape from a Warren jail. He and another prisoner overpowered guards with
pepper-spray and a sock loaded with bars of soap. Police captured Sales
shortly after his escape.

Deen said Sales had previously been in prison for other convictions
including rape and kidnapping.

(source: Associated Press)

INDIANA:

2nd jury recommends killer get death penalty

In Evansville, jurors deliberated for less than an hour Friday before
recommending the death penalty for a Southern Indiana man who pleaded
guilty to the rape and murder of a 15-year-old girl.

It is the 2nd time Roy Lee Ward, 34, could be condemned for the July 2001
killing of Stacy Payne in her Dale home.

A Spencer County judge sentenced Ward to death after a jury found him
guilty of murder, rape and criminal deviate conduct in the slaying, but
the verdict was overturned by the Indiana Court of Appeals because of
pretrial publicity.

The case was moved to Vanderburgh Superior Court, with a new jury coming
from Clay County near Terre Haute.

Defense attorneys argued that Ward should be spared the death penalty
because he suffered from mental illness. The prosecution argued for
execution, saying Payne was mutilated and tortured.

(source: Indianapolis Star)

FLORIDA:

1981 DEATH SENTENCE BACK IN COURT----Condemned killer protests method as
cruel and unusual punishment

Angel Diaz's spiritual adviser testified for the 1st time on Friday about
the convicted killer's botched execution and how the death affected him.

He recalled an emotional phone call to his wife on his drive home and the
images of a man who appeared to be struggling to live.

"I told her I had just watched a man be tortured to death," testified Dale
Recinella, a volunteer Department of Corrections Catholic lay minister.

Testimony from Recinella and others on Friday was part of a series of
hearings being held in the Marion County case of a death row inmate, Ian
Deco Lightbourne, 47. His lawyers contend the death penalty is cruel and
unusual punishment and are using the Diaz execution to help prove their
case.

Diaz was executed by lethal injection on Dec. 13, 2006. His death took 34
minutes - twice as long as it usually takes. Authorities had to administer
a second dose of the lethal drugs to kill him. Executions were halted in
Florida pending an investigation of Diaz's death. They are set to resume
as early as this month.

Lightbourne was sentenced to death in 1981 for the murder of Marion County
horse breeder Nancy O'Farrell.

Recinella knew Diaz since 1998 and was asked to pray with him and console
his family. But by the end of the execution, Recinella said he was in
shock.

He said it seemed to be a "painful" death. Recinella recalled Diaz's torso
arching up and down, his face grimacing. He gasped for air and there
appeared to be much tension in his head and neck area.

"He looked at some points as he was trying to speak in a forcefully way
... to the staff and then he began to show signs of his body arching. His
torso was arching and ... it seemed like it was an involuntary reaction,"
the minister testified as he demonstrated Diaz's body movements and facial
expressions.

It was the first time Recinella testified about the death. He had refused
to testify to a commission studying the execution because of his job -
Recinella said he doesn't talk about his ministry unless he's forced to by
subpoena. His testimony was similar to that of news accounts of the
execution.

In an earlier ruling, journalists were not forced to testify about the
case.

Department of Corrections employees told a different version. They say the
execution was apparently normal and not as sensationalized as media
outlets and the minister have portrayed it to be.

Another witness was Timothy Westveer, a Florida Department of Law
Enforcement internal investigations inspector who witnessed the execution.
All executions are witnessed by independent officers from FDLE to ensure
the condemned's rights are protected.

Westveer testified the execution took longer than normal and that Diaz's
body moved more than those of other people whose lethal injection
executions he has witnessed.

At one point, while medical staffers were getting the 2nd dose of
chemicals, one told him Diaz was having problems with the drugs because of
a liver condition that was metabolizing the chemicals slowly.

He also noticed red marks on Diaz's arms.

"Yes, I did notice some redness on the inside of his left arm and right
arm," he said, referring to a round red mark on one arm and red spiderlike
vein patterns on the other.

"It was pretty obvious it was there. It was an attention getter."

Lightbourne has been scheduled for execution twice before and has been
granted 2 stays. He does not currently have a death warrant.

(source: Ocala Star-Banner)

ILLINOIS:

Ryan can't be questioned on pardons ---- COURT | Ruling shifts burden to
inmate

Former Gov. George Ryan will not have to answer questions in a civil
deposition about why he pardoned four men from death row.

In a ruling made public Friday, a federal judge said Ryan would not have
to explain why he deemed death row inmate Aaron Patterson innocent when
the former governor pardoned him and three others in 2003.

The 4 men claim in separate federal lawsuits that Chicago Police,
including former Cmdr. Jon Burge, tortured them into giving false
confessions.

U.S. District Judge Joan Gottschall also said the Illinois Prisoner Review
Board doesn't have to release information on the recommendations it gave
Ryan on the four cases. In 2003, Ryan pardoned the men while making the
historic decision to commute all Illinois death sentences.

He'll have to prove it

Gottschall's decision brings a higher burden for Patterson if his civil
case goes to trial. Gottschall said lawyers could not scrutinize Ryan's
decision because, as governor, whether the men were innocent and deserved
a pardon was legally his opinion.

But in a courtroom, Ryan's decision to pardon isn't enough for Patterson
to say he's innocent.

He'll have to prove it, she said.

Patterson -- and the other freed inmates -- wanted to block the defense
from suggesting they were really guilty of crimes for which they were held
in prison.

"If Patterson wishes to establish his innocence, he is going to have to do
it the old-fashioned way -- with evidence," she wrote.

Gottschall's decision reversed a lower judge's ruling and mirrors a ruling
made earlier this year by another judge regarding a 2nd man Ryan pardoned,
LeRoy Orange. A lawyer for Ryan, Julie Bauer, said they are still awaiting
decisions by 2 other judges.

City is disappointed

Lawyers for the City of Chicago, Burge and other detectives sought Ryan's
deposition to explain whether he truly believed Patterson was innocent
when he pardoned him.

City Law Department spokeswoman Jennifer Hoyle said the city is
disappointed it cannot question Ryan, but "we're pleased with the judge's
decision that the plaintiffs can't rely on the pardon to show innocence."

(source: Chicago Sun-Times)