Oct. 1

NEW YORK:

Homespun Injustice

The idea of a village judge sounds appealing, like a Mayberry elder
perhaps, or a folksy, no-nonsense justice of the peace. But a Times series
by William Glaberson has revealed the appalling ways some of New Yorks
hometown justices really work.

These part-time judges  most of whom are not lawyers  have been known to
jail people without a plea or a trial. They have removed people from their
homes improperly or made racist or sexist comments. They have kept
courtrooms closed to the public and skewed rulings for friends; one let a
rape suspect out of jail as a favor. As one justice explained: "I just
follow my own common sense. And the hell with the law."

Even a defendant faced with a speeding ticket deserves a fair and legal
proceeding  no matter where. Some states, like California and Delaware,
have added resources and toughened educational requirements for community
courts. But New York has resisted any real reform of its 1,250 justice
courts for almost a century, and for one main reason: they're golden. They
provide jobs or extra income and the fines and fees bring in lots of
money.

So although only about 400 of New York's 2,300 justices are certified
lawyers, a local justice needs only 1 week's training to start the job.
There is no rule that the proceedings have to be recorded, making
complaints more difficult. And there is no systematic way to tell whether
that $100 traffic fine actually went into the town treasury.

The best reform, already in practice on Long Island, would consolidate
caseloads and use only full-time, trained judges. Until the day of that
reform, New Yorks chief judge, Judith Kaye, should proceed swiftly with
improvements of these grass-roots courts. Among the best would be to
standardize records for court proceedings and collecting fines.

Additionally, and here is where New York's next governor will come in, the
Commission on Judicial Conduct desperately needs help. Over the last 30
years, the group charged with investigating judicial conduct has been
whittled to a staff of 29 facing over 1,500 complaints.

Even in the tiny justice courts, defendants deserve protection for their
basic legal rights.

(source: Editorial, New York Times)

MARYLAND:

Families, experts talk death penalty at the Mount

Nothing about Shannon Shieber suggested her life would be anything but
happy and successful. By the time she was 18 months old, Shannon could
recite the entire alphabet; she was a straight-A student and National
Merit Scholar finalist; she graduated from Duke University in 3 years
despite a triple-major; and at only 23 years old, Shannon had entered the
Ph.D. program at the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania on a
full scholarship.

"Shannon was a gift beyond anything you could possibly believe," said her
mother, Vicki Shieber. "Everything about her was not only brilliant, but
beautiful."

In May 1998, a serial rapist pried open the balcony door to Shannon's
brownstone apartment in Philadelphia, raped her and strangled her to
death.

Ms. Shieber was a speaker Saturday at a conference on the death penalty at
Mount St. Mary's University in Emmitsburg titled "Witness and Action:
Christian Responses to the Death Penalty in Maryland."

Although the mother of a murder victim, Ms. Shieber told conference
attendees how her religious background, and the principles she raised
Shannon on, necessitated mercy and forgiveness, not vengeance, when the
killer was apprehended.

Ms. Shieber said people would ask her, "Don't you love your daughter?" and
"Don't you want him put to death?" when they found out she only wanted
life in prison without parole.

But, steadfast in her faith, Ms. Shieber said her morals prevented such
desires.

"(The Lord's Prayer says) forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those
who trespass against us," she said. "It never came to life until we had to
live through this."

The conference, which featured exonerated death row inmates, chaplains and
authors, was organized by Dr. Trudy Conway, a professor of philosophy and
the faculty moderator for the student group Campaign to End the Death
Penalty at Mount St. Mary's.

Ms. Conway said the conference was the result of a more than 2-year
conversation on campus about the moral and ethical effects of the death
penalty.

All opinions, from support to dissent, were welcomed in the debate, Ms.
Conway said, and the overall goal was to encourage students to become
active in social justice issues.

"We view it as encouraging our students to develop the vocation of
responsible citizenship," she said.

Speakers peppered their remarks with comments on how, morally, the death
penalty cannot be sanctioned by religious ethics. T-shirts on sale in the
lobby of Marion Burke Knott Auditorium proclaimed "Being 'Pro-Life' also
means being against executions."

Dale Recinella, a Catholic lay chaplain for Florida's death row inmates
and the author of "The Biblical Truth about America's Death Penalty," said
the Bible is frequently misinterpreted as supporting the death penalty
through oft-mentioned scripture such as "an eye for an eye."

The Bible, Mr. Recinella said, shows a pattern of different responses to
murderers, including exile, repentance and conversion.

Some of the Bible's heroes, including David, Moses and Saul, also
committed murder, Mr. Recinella said.

"(The Bible's) a revelation of an entirely different response, where
vengeance is  for the Lord alone," he said. "The death penalty does not
give anything to anybody."

The entire schema of the death penalty debate has to be changed, Mr.
Recinella said, by engaging its advocates to show it is an imperfect
system that will result in immorality -- namely, the sacrifice of innocent
lives in the service of an unattainable ideal of poorly identified
justice.

"We need for faith and reason to be brought to this  so the people can
make morally reasonable choices," he said. "It's a system that is human
You can't have the American death penalty without killing some innocent
people."

(source: Frederick News-Post)

WISCONSIN:

Bring back the death penalty? ---- Yes: It's an option for heinous crimes

As the conservative law enforcement professional running for attorney
general, I was approached to write this piece regarding the upcoming death
penalty referendum that will also be on the ballot this November.

I believe we should give prosecutors the option of seeking the death
penalty in cases where there is DNA evidence to prove guilt. However,
before I speak to the issue of the death penalty, it's important I make
the following point.

The office of attorney general is not that of a lawmaker. I am seeking
this post to enforce the laws of Wisconsin, not to change them.

My opponent, having never prosecuted a criminal before, may have different
ideas regarding the scope and limits of attorney general.

However, I would suggest if she wishes to be an advocate for or against
changes in current law, she should have run for governor, as she did 4
years ago.

The contest this fall for attorney general does not pit a liberal activist
against a conservative activist.

It pits a conservative law enforcement professional who has front-line
experience dealing with criminals and their victims against a liberal
politician and social activist.

I'm not much of a social activist. But I don't shy away from my belief
that prosecutors in Wisconsin should be given the option to pursue the
death penalty, and I am willing to explain why.

I have long believed that the death penalty should be an option before
Wisconsin juries who find individuals guilty of the most heinous crimes.
As a former federal prosecutor, I know that this option is not something
to be taken lightly.

Some crimes are so brutal and inhumane that the only punishment that truly
fits the crime is a death sentence.

As a prosecutor who has dealt with violent criminals on the local and
federal level, I have seen and heard firsthand from families who had loved
ones killed by heartless, vicious murderers. How can these families
receive justice?

I have little pity for those who commit heinous, murderous acts.

While it is true that we all face the ultimate judge after our demise,
during our time on this Earth, it is up to society to mete out justice.
The death penalty is the ultimate form of justice for the most heinous
murders.

Personally, I am not sure that the death penalty is a deterrent. But if we
put a murderer to death and there is no deterrent effect, we have still
put one murderer to death.

Regardless of whether there is a deterrent affect, I do believe it is the
ultimate in retribution, which undeniably is a key component of justice.

This year, thanks to the passage of Senate Joint Resolution 5, there is an
advisory referendum on the question of enacting the death penalty in this
state, as the Legislature may prescribe by law for cases involving a
person who is convicted of multiple of first-degree intentional homicides,
if the homicides are vicious and the convictions are supported by DNA
evidence.

If the referendum passes, Wisconsin would not be alone. Capital punishment
is legal in 38 states and is an option for federal prosecutors as well.

I believe the sentence should only be applied when there is DNA evidence
to corroborate the verdict.

I believe when DNA evidence supports a jury's verdict and when the crime
involves murder of law enforcement, multiple homicides, or sexual assault
and torture, the death penalty should be an option.

While I support the death penalty, I am aware that it is not without
controversy. Society can and indeed does make the distinction between the
value of the lives of the innocent and guilty.

But beyond that moral question, the death penalty would bring practical
changes to the criminal justice system here.

I do not anticipate the option will be exercised a great deal; therefore,
I do not anticipate an increased burden on the appellate courts.

However, there would be a need for specialized personnel in our
correctional system to deal with death row inmates, for example.

I believe we should allow the citizens in this state to have a voice on
this issue, and the only way is a statewide referendum.

The vote on Nov. 7 empowers the citizens to voice their opinion on this
matter. I don't fear giving citizens the right to speak out.

Despite the modest additional costs associated with having the death
penalty, I will be voting "yes" at the ballot box.

Again, I'm not an activist, I'm not a crusader.

I am a law enforcement professional.

I am a prosecutor. As such, it is my fellow prosecutors who would benefit
from having the option of pursuing the death penalty.

(source: J.B. Van Hollen is the Republican candidate for Wisconsin
attorney general; The Milawaukee Journal Sentinel)

********************

Bring back the death penalty? ---- No: It's troublesome and doesn't work

This November, when voters go to the polls, they will be faced with many
tough decisions.

Local, state and federal races fill the ballot, but voters will also be
asked to tell the state Legislature to consider reversing a 155-year-old
ban on the death penalty.

Being raised in Milwaukee, I was taught from a young age that taking
another human life is not moral. And over the course of my life, I studied
this issue carefully.

First, the death penalty does not deter heinous crimes. Studies have shown
the death penalty simply does not prevent crime.

Second, it is an extremely expensive process involving endless amounts of
litigation and appeals. In this time of scant resources, we need to spend
our dollars getting dangerous people off the streets and putting them
behind bars, not on lawyers and appeals.

Additionally, reports indicate that the death penalty disproportionately
affects people of color - more than 40% of those sentenced to die are
African-Americans, while African-Americans account for only 12% of the
population.

Fourth, even with DNA evidence, mistakes happen and innocent people die.
Studies show that nearly a dozen people were executed in one state alone
due to contaminated DNA evidence.

And a Republican governor in Illinois put a moratorium on the death
penalty due to concerns over the system, the cost and innocent lives.

I was an assistant attorney general for 14 years. I know the Department of
Justice, and I don't want the lawyers using all of their time doing
endless amounts of death penalty appeals. I want them spending their time
working on more important things, like getting dangerous criminals off our
streets.

These important facts weigh heavily on my decision. Given this
information, I do not support creating a death penalty in Wisconsin.

Rather, as your attorney general, I will focus my time, efforts and
resources to reducing crime through measures that actually work - and that
put criminals behind bars, where they belong.

122 murders in Milwaukee - a city I was born in and love - is simply
unacceptable.

Gang members are younger, more violent; more and more of them are girls,
and they are funded by drugs.

As attorney general, I will use currently untapped laws, such as the
Wisconsin Organized Crime Control Act, to prosecute gang members and put
them behind bars. Gangs are a form of organized crime, and it is about
time we started treating them as such.

The organized crime statute provides stiffer and stronger penalties for
gang members who commit crimes. As attorney general, I will use this law
to crack down on the violent crime that is terrorizing our neighborhoods -
preventing mayhem before it occurs instead of waiting for tragedy.

As attorney general, I pledge to be right here in Milwaukee one day a
week, working side by side with law enforcement officials, prosecutors,
local and community leaders, parents and teachers. We can do better.

Yet there is more. As some neighborhoods right here in Milwaukee have
seen, there are too many criminals on the streets because of the delay at
the crime lab. I will reprioritize resources in the Department of Justice,
just as I have done as Dane County executive - to fix the backlog at the
crime lab.

Our law enforcement officers and prosecutors need these test results so
they can charge and convict criminals, and seek justice for victims and
their families.

I have the experience and the record of reprioritizing resources to create
efficiencies and meet our most pressing needs.

These are real solutions to real problems. And I can offer these solutions
because I have spent my life and my career fighting on behalf of Wisconsin
citizens.

The Nov. 7 ballot includes an advisory referendum: "Should the death
penalty be enacted in the State of Wisconsin for cases involving a person
who is convicted of first-degree intentional homicide, if the conviction
is supported by DNA evidence?" Crossroads asked the major-party candidates
for attorney general to comment.

(source: Kathleen Falk is the Democratic candidate for Wisconsin attorney
general. The Nov. 7 ballot will include an advisory referendum: "Should
the death penalty be enacted in the State of Wisconsin for cases involving
a person who is convicted of 1st-degree intentional homicide, if the
conviction is supported by DNA evidence?" Crossroads asked the 2
candidates for attorney general to share their perspectives----The
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel)

INDIANA:

Judge rules convicted killer immune from death penalty

A man accused of killing 6 women is mentally retarded and cannot be
sentenced to the death penalty, a judge has ruled.

Eugene Victor Britt already is serving a sentence of life in prison
without parole in the murder of 8-year-old Sarah Paulsen of Portage.

Friday's ruling by Lake Criminal Court Judge Salvador Vasquez could open
the door for Britt to appeal that sentence.

"If he wants to make trouble on that old case, he could say his attorney
was defective in not pursuing the mental-retardation issue or by allowing
him to plead guilty," said Merrillville attorney Thomas Vanes, who is not
involved in the case.

Britt, 49, of Gary, is scheduled to go to trial Oct. 10 in the June 1995
murder of 14-year-old Nakita Moore. He has pleaded not guilty.

However, during a hearing in November 1995 in Porter Superior Court, Britt
confessed to killing Moore and others. Vasquez ruled in July that Britt's
confession was admissible.

On Friday, Vasquez ruled that Britt was mentally retarded and could not be
sentenced to death or life without parole under Indiana law.

Despite the judge's ruling, Lake County Prosecutor Bernard Carter insisted
Friday that Britt is not mentally retarded. "Britt is not retarded. You
can ask anybody in the jail," he said.

Carter said he was considering whether to appeal Vasquez's ruling.

Britt has been examined by mental health experts repeatedly with
conflicting results. Most recently, one psychologist said Britt was
mentally retarded while another said he believed Britt was faking.