August 28

ALABAMA:

A mother's rage----A year after her daughter was murdered, Rolande Dean
seeks justice

Brandy Bachelder was killed at her home last August. It has been more than
a year, but the rage Rolande Dean felt that muggy morning in August of
2005 lives on. If anything, it is stronger.

She never went a day without talking to her daughter. They were supposed
to get together to play games on Aug. 9 of last year, a Tuesday. When her
daughter, Brandy Bachelder, didn't return calls all day Tuesday, Dean
worried. When she didn't show up for work the next morning, she panicked.

Dean said she left work and drove to her daughter's mobile home at Cayman
Bay off Napier Field Road. She had called ahead, asking the park manager
to knock on her daughter's door. She drove up before that happened and
said she was getting out of her car when a police vehicle pulled up.

She said she looked toward her daughter's mobile home and saw a bloody
handprint on the front door.

Officers found a gory scene in the living room.

Bachelder, 27, had been beaten, stabbed, suffocated and sexually molested.
Dean said she sought to have an open casket at her daughter's funeral, but
the violence of the murder made it impossible.

Dean said her daughter had been seeing 36-year-old Heath Lavon McCray for
a little more than a year before trying to break off the relationship just
a week before the murder. When McCray learned police were looking for him,
he turned himself in. He agreed to take a polygraph, and police said the
results showed he was being deceptive. After a lengthy interrogation,
McCray was arrested and charged with capital murder.

His trial is set for October, but Dean says she doesn't need a trial to
determine who killed her daughter.

"I knew immediately," she said.

Dean said she believes McCray killed Bachelder because she tried to end
their relationship. Dean said that when someone told Bachelder that McCray
had been violent to women in the past, she broke the relationship off
immediately.

Court records indicate McCray has prior convictions for domestic violence,
sexual misconduct and failure to register as a sex offender.

Dean said Bachelder was frightened enough to position her large leather
couch in front of the door to keep McCray out the night she broke off the
relationship, less than a week before she was killed. Dean said Bachelder
changed the locks on her doors the next day.

Dean believes McCray broke into her daughter's home Monday, Aug. 8 and
waited for her to return home from work, then attacked her as she entered
her home.

Now, Dean said she shakes with anger when she thinks about McCray.

"He still gets three meals a day. He still gets to watch TV, to visit his
children," Dean said. "Brandy was my only child. No parent should ever
have to bury their only child. No parent should have to go into her
daughter's trailer and clean up the blood."

She worries about stereotypes. She wants people to know her daughter
wasn't what some in the South call "white trash." She doesn't want people
to judge her because she lived in a mobile home park and had an
interracial relationship.

"I want people to know she loved everybody. And she was a hard worker,
worked constantly," Dean said. "She didn't take any type of government
assistance."

McCray denies killing Bachelder. During the police interrogation, he
admits to being in her home the night she was killed, but said that when
he left that evening "everything was fine."

Dean doesn't believe it. She said she knows a conviction and execution
won't bring her daughter back, but it might let her sleep at night.

"Would I be satisfied the least little bit with life in prison without
parole? No. Not one little bit," she said. "I have to live with this every
day when I close my eyes at night. He shouldn't be allowed to live."

(source: Dothan Eagle)

OHIO:

Richey will never be free even if he is released

Do you agree that the death penalty is barbaric, or does it act as a
deterrent?

IMAGINE if your life had been frozen in time when you were 22 years old.
All your emotions, all your knowledge, all your memories. Now imagine how
you would cope with being marooned in solitary confinement for the next 20
years.

Knowing that at any time a man may come knocking on your door to escort
you to an electric chair so you could be put to death.

What would you sound like? What would form your opinions? For Kenny Richey
all of this is a reality every day.

He was sentenced to death in 1987 in Ohio for the murder of 2-year-old
Cynthia Collins, after he was found guilty of setting fire to an apartment
where the little girl was sleeping.

Today, he spoke out for the 1st time in many years on my radio show on
Talk 107 in Edinburgh.

His conversation, conducted by telephone with me from the Mansfield
Correctional Institute, was peppered with a series of different attitudes.
Anger, resignation, bitterness, humour and not a little irony.

He is clearly an intelligent man. He speaks with a trace of the Edinburgh
accent of his youth.

And he insists, and has insisted for the past 20 years, that he is
innocent.

And yet, the United States authorities continue to hold him on death row -
a place reserved for the worst offenders in the nation. A place from where
few ever emerge free men. All right-thinking Scots, and Richey includes
himself in this group, abhor the death penalty. It is a shameful practice
carried out only by the most oppressive regimes in secretive states around
the world.

The United States is alone in being the only so-called civilised nation in
the world still practising this barbaric form of state-sponsored revenge.
And with George W Bush running the place, there is little chance of any
change in that policy.

In his heart Richey believes he will never be allowed out. He does not
think the Ohio authorities will be big enough to admit that they made a
mistake.

His lawyers, however, tell him a different story. They believe that a
final roll of the dice in the next few weeks could see the Ohio Supreme
Court paving the way for his release.

It would be an astonishing set of circumstances if it came to pass.

But the reality is that Kenny Richey could be free before Christmas to
return to Edinburgh, the city he has not seen since 1981.

Throughout the interview Kenny revealed every side of his personality. He
laughed as he remembered his only taste of the real world last month when
he was rushed to hospital after suffering a heart attack.

The irony of lying on his back in an ambulance with tubes sticking out of
him was not lost on him.

At other times his anger at the system that has confined him to the human
abattoir of justice was also hard to disguise.

But perhaps the most revealing part of the interview was his barely
concealed wonderment at the sight of a plasma TV screen at his hospital
bedside.

He admitted he had never seen anything like it. And no wonder.

In 1987 Kylie Minogue had just had her first chart hit. Ronald Reagan and
Margaret Thatcher were running the world from the White House and 10
Downing Street.

And tennis superstar Andy Murray had just been born.

There were no iPods, no laptop computers, no asylum seekers, no Scottish
Premierleague.

There wasn't even a Scottish Parliament - one place where he now wants
people to lobby for his freedom.

No wonder that Richey's impressions of the world he lives in are so stuck
in the past.

If he is released he says he will come back to Edinburgh to live with his
ex-wife Wendy.

He recently got back together with the woman he divorced in 1986 after
just 2 years of marriage. He chose Wendy over Karen Torley, the woman from
Cambuslang who wrote to him on death row and later became his fiance.
Their engagement ended before they had even exchanged a kiss amid
accusations that she had failed to properly manage funds collected on his
behalf for a campaign.

Kenny Richey's life has been something of a tragic soap opera - played out
largely in front of a curious public. He has become a prisoner of the
celebrity machine that he needs to continually feed in order to keep his
plight high enough up on the public's radar system.

Even before his conviction for the murder of a child, his life had been
less than ordinary. He was held in Saughton Prison on remand for 2 weeks
before he left to live in the US with his American serviceman father.

He never really settled in Ohio and much of his life seems to have been
punctuated by episodes of drunkenness.

The real tragedy for him is that whatever happens in the next few weeks he
will remain a prisoner for the rest of his life. For even if he is
released by the Ohio authorities, he can never really be free.

(source: Edinburgh Evening News)

USA:

What Forgiveness Isn't----6 myths that may be keeping you from letting go.

I listened quietly as my friend Jamie told me the frank details of the
sexual abuse she'd suffered as a child.

"I hate my father!" she blurted out. "He abused me for more than a
decade!" Jamie cried. "But my pastor said if I want to heal from my
childhood pain, I have to forgive."

"What did you tell your pastor?" I asked.

"I told him I could never forgive my father, that I didn't want to forgive
him, that no one-not even God-would expect me to forgive him!"

Jamie told me all the reasons that kept her from forgiving her abusive
father. I'd heard many of them before. In fact, I'd used some of them 2
years earlier, when a friend I'd trusted to keep a confidence told several
women in my Sunday school class about a painful circumstance I was going
through. I felt betrayed by my friend-as I should have. But forgive her?
That was the last thing I wanted to do! I dropped out of the Sunday school
class and avoided her at church. But a year later, when I reread what the
apostle Paul said about forgiveness, his familiar words touched my heart
in a special way: "Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving
each other, just as in Christ God forgave you" (Ephesians 4:32, my
emphasis).

As I meditated on that verse, I knew I'd been forgiven much. I needed to
forgive my friend, even if I didn't feel like it. I decided to do so.
Later, when I met her and told her I'd forgiven her, she apologized, and
we both cried. I wish I could say she and I became good friends again-but
I can't. Her betrayal deeply hurt our friendship, and I was careful never
to share another confidence with her. But God's Word and my decision to
forgive set me free from bitterness.

Facing the Challenge

Jamie and I are just 2 of a legion of Christian women who've struggled
with forgiveness because it's difficult-almost impossible-to do. Yet in
Luke 6:37, Jesus says, "Forgive, and you will be forgiven." He elaborates
in Matthew 6:14-15: "For if you forgive men when they sin against you,
your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men
their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins." The apostle Paul
repeats Jesus' command: "Bear with each other and forgive whatever
grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave
you" (Colossians 3:13). Surely Paul's "whatever grievances" covers any
kind of hurt, betrayal, or injury another person could inflict!

In talking with hundreds of women about forgiveness, I've discovered 6
myths that keep us from the healing and freedom God desires for you and
me.

Myth 1: Forgiving means the offender didn't really hurt you. Jamie thought
if she forgave her father, it lessened the severity of his abuse. Yet
Jamie's forgiveness doesn't deny her father hurt her. In fact, it clearly
recognizes the enormity of his evil-if Jamie's dad hadn't deliberately
caused her pain, she'd have no reason to forgive him.

"Forgiveness is a redemptive response to having been wronged and wounded,"
wrote author Lewis B. Smedes. "Only those who have wronged and wounded us
are candidates for forgiveness. If they injure us accidentally, we excuse
them. We only forgive the ones we blame." Choosing to forgive her father
acknowledges the pain Jamie endured at his hands. It also begins her
healing.

Myth 2: Forgiving means you excuse the offender's hurtful act. When I
chose to forgive my friend, I didn't condone her cruel behavior.
Forgiveness, I've discovered, is a response that seeks to redeem the hurt,
not brush it off. An accidental "slip of the tongue" needs no forgiveness
because it isn't deliberately caused. Intentional hurts-like my friend's
betrayal-need forgiveness. When I forgave my friend, my forgiveness didn't
lessen the impact of her painful action. But forgiveness unlocked my own
"prison" of bitterness.

Myth 3: Before forgiving, you must first understand why the offender hurt
you. On December 1, 1997, Missy Jenkins, a sophomore at Heath High School
in Paducah, Kentucky, stood with her classmates and prayed before school
started. Before they said their final "amen," 14-year-old Michael Carneal
pulled out a pistol and fired 11 shots into the student prayer group. One
bullet severely damaged Missy's spinal cord. Paralyzed from the waist
down, Missy will spend her life in a wheelchair.

Missy doesn't know the reason her classmate deliberately hurt her. Michael
may not understand his reasons. But that didn't keep Missy from choosing
to forgive him.

"I believe hating him is wasted emotion," Missy says. "Hating Michael
won't make me walk again. Besides, I know it isn't what Jesus would do."

Our human mind yearns to make all the confusing puzzle pieces fit together
neatly before we forgive. However, the truth is we can forgive an offender
even if we never discover the reasons for the inflicted pain. Author
Philip Yancey writes in What's So Amazing About Grace, "Not to forgive
imprisons me in the past and locks out all potential for change. I thus
yield control to another, my enemy, and doom myself to suffer the
consequences of the wrong."

Myth 4: Before forgiving the offender, you must feel forgiving.
Forgiveness has nothing to do with how you feel. You can feel hurt,
betrayed, and angry, and still completely forgive the one who wounded you.
Biblical forgiveness is an act of the will. It's a choice you make.

Can you still feel angry after you forgive? Yes! Anger means you're in
touch with reality-it's part of being human. But be careful to aim that
anger at what your offender did, not at the offender herself. Then let
your anger push you toward justice.

Myth 5: Forgiving means the offender will face no consequences. When we
choose to forgive someone, our forgiveness doesn't "let him off the hook."
Forgiveness also doesn't mean justice shouldn't be served.

In December 1983, Pope John Paul II visited a prisoner, Mehmet Ali Agca,
at the Rebibbia prison in Rome. In May 1981, Agca had aimed a pistol at
the pope and shot him in the chest. After much pain and agony, John Paul
recovered, and now he looked Agca in the eye, extended his hand, and said,
"I forgive you."

Even though the pope forgave him, Agca still faced the consequences of his
crime. He served a lengthy prison sentence until he finally was released
last January.

Myth 6: When your offender is punished, you'll find closure. On June 13,
1990, Linda Purnhagen saw her two daughters, Gracie, 16, and Tiffany, 9,
for the last time. Dennis Dowthitt, a dangerously sick psychopath,
strangled Tiffany to death, then raped Gracie and slit her throat. When
authorities discovered the girls' bodies, they arrested and convicted
Dowthitt, and scheduled his execution.

A decade later, as executioners strapped him to his death gurney, Dowthitt
apologized for the savage killings. But not even his confession, apology,
and execution brought closure for Linda. She was disappointed after the
execution, not relieved.

We think we can more easily forgive others if they confess the crime and
apologize for the pain they caused. But don't look to justice,
imprisonment, or execution to bring needed closure and healing. Only
forgiveness will do that.

The Choice to Forgive

The decision to forgive an offender is probably the hardest choice we can
ever make. Some crimes seem too horrible to forgive. Our instincts tell us
to avenge the person who caused us pain, not to release him from the debt
he owes us. But as Christians, we can't afford to have unforgiving hearts,
for we have been greatly forgiven by God in Christ (Ephesians 4:32).

Only forgiveness can release us from a life of hatred and bitterness.

"Forgiving is a journey, sometimes a long one," wrote Lewis B. Smedes in
Shame and Grace. "We may need some time before we get to the station of
complete healing, but the nice thing is that we are being healed en route.
When we genuinely forgive, we set a prisoner free and then discover the
prisoner we set free was us."

Denise George, www.authordenisegeorge.com, is the author of 20 books,
including Cultivating a Forgiving Heart-Forgiveness Frees You to Flourish
(Zondervan).

Forgiveness ABCs

Acknowledge the hurt. When someone deliberately hurts you, don't try to
diminish the pain and its effect on you. Acknowledge your suffering-and
express it aloud to God. Scripture promises: "The Lord is close to the
brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit" (Psalm 34:18),
and "He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds" (Psalm 147:3).

Blame the offender. If a person hurts you by mistake, she didn't mean to
inflict pain, so she needs no forgiveness. But if a person intentionally
hurts you, then the pain she caused was deliberate. Say aloud: "I
personally blame you, (name of offender), because you hurt me on purpose."
Correctly placing the blame readies you to begin the forgiveness process.

Cancel the debt. You've acknowledged the hurt and rightly blamed the
offender. Now you're ready to make the willful decision to "cancel the
debt" your offender owes you. Find a quiet place to be alone and ask the
Lord's help in forgiving the person who hurt you. You might pray the
"Lord's Prayer" (Matthew 6:9-13) and meditate on verse 12: "Forgive us our
debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors." After you've prayed and
while you're still alone, speak aloud your decision to forgive: "(Name of
offender), I've chosen to forgive you for hurting me; I've decided to
cancel the debt you owe me." You've now embarked on the process of
forgiving the person who hurt you.

(source: Today's Christian Woman-July/August 2006, Vol. 28, No. 4)

********************

The Court-Ordered Internet Auction of the Unabomber's "Murderabilia": Why,
Though It May Be Tasteless, It's Perfectly Legal

You soon may be able to log on to the Internet and bid on items formerly
owned by the "Unabomber," Theodore Kaczynski. Currently imprisoned,
Kaczynski killed three people, and wounded many others, with his
letter-bombs. Though his first bomb was sent in 1978, he was not arrested
until 1996. He avoided the death penalty by pleading guilty to his crimes.

On August 11, a federal district court judge ordered that Kaczynski's
personal belongings, including his journal and other papers relating to
his murderous plots, should be sold via a public Internet auction. The
proceeds of the sale are to be used to compensate his victims and their
heirs, who have procured a $15 million restitution order against
Kaczyinski.

Some have expressed dismay at this auction. And surely, it is a bit creepy
to sell a criminal's possessions. While some buyers may be interested
solely in the items' historic significance, many may use their purchases
to glorify Kaczynski's murders - viewing them as macabre souvenirs.

"Murderabilia" is nothing new: Criminals, including killers, have sold off
their belongings before. But the specter of the belongings put online for
all to see is, of course, an Internet-era innovation.

In this column, I will explain the nature of the auction, and explain why
- despite a few state laws banning "notoriety for profit," in the form of
sales of criminals' stories and crime-related possessions, the
court-sponsored auction remains perfectly legal.

The Details of the Court-ordered Auction

Earlier, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit had told the
federal government that it could not hold on to Kaczynski's personal
belongings indefinitely. Instead, the property either had to be sold, and
the proceeds applied toward fulfilling the restitution order, or had to be
returned to Kaczynski. (Kaczyksnki wanted to donate his writings to the
University of Michigan, of which he is an alumnus, and which houses an
extensive collection of protest and anarchist literature.)

On August 10 of this year, U.S. District Judge Garland Burrell Jr. ruled
that Kaczynski's belongings should be sold at a "reasonably advertised
Internet auction." There are approximately one hundred items the
government considers to be bomb-making materials, such as writings that
contain diagrams and "recipes" for bombs. These items will be excluded
from the auction. (Separately, and somewhat oddly, Burrell ordered that 5
guns taken from the cabin be sold directly to victims for $300, which will
be deducted from the restitution.)

The U.S. Marshals' Service will enter into a contract for the sale with a
private Internet auctioneer, who will bear the cost of the sale. The
auctioneer is to receive no more than 10 % of the proceeds. The revenues
from the sale, less the auctioneer's commission, will be applied to the
restitution order, which will benefit Kaczynski's victims and/or their
families.

Among the personal items to be auctioned are tools, among them files,
saws, hatchets, knives, axes and scissors; clothing; 3 typewriters;
Kaczynski's University of Michigan diploma (housed in a suitcase); 2
checkbooks; and a library of titles ranging including from "Finnish
Grammar" to "Zapata and the Mexican Revolution." Among the clothing up for
auction are the Unabomber's hooded jackets, which he may have worn when
posting his mail bombs.

Kaczynski's writings--which include several versions of his Unabomber
"Manifesto"--are also for sale. They are estimated to cover 40,000
handwritten pages. They detail his urges to kill and reportedly include a
detailed recitation of the events of his 17-year bombing campaign.
However, the names of all the victims and their families, and all
recognizable descriptions of the victims and their injuries, and the names
of intended victims, will be redacted, per the court's order.

Is it Legal for the Court to Sell Murderabilia?

Is this court-sponsored Internet auction legal? The answer is definitely
"Yes."

Indeed, Kaczynski might have been able to sell his own belongings, had the
court not seized them first. In most states, "murderabilia" sales remain
legal. And web sites such as supernaught.com are in the business of
auctioning or selling such "murderabilia" - and selling artwork by
criminals, as well.

There are, however, a number of states in which "murderabilia" sales are
illegal, on the ground that they allow criminals to profit from their
crimes. These laws also prohibit criminals from profiting on books, movies
and interviews about their crimes - but to that extent, depending on the
way they are framed, these laws may be contrary to the First Amendment.

New York was the 1st state to enact a notoriety-for-profit law, in 1977,
after reports that "Son of Sam" serial killer David Berkowitz was hoping
to make a great deal of money by selling his story to a publisher.

Although "Son of Sam" laws across the country are fairly similar, the
specific wording of such laws varies from state to state. In most states,
the victim must sue the offender in civil court and obtain a judgment for
damages before being allowed to make a claim against a criminal's profits.

In other states, claims are made through a state victims' compensation
program. The laws generally apply to convicted offenders, including those
who plead guilty, as well as to those who are acquitted on the grounds of
insanity.

In 1991, in Simon & Schuster v. New York Crime Victims' Board, the U.S.
Supreme Court struck down New York's "Son of Sam" law as unconstitutional,
on the ground that it violated the First Amendment. In 2002, California's
Son of Sam law suffered a similar fate, before the California Supreme
Court in Keenan v. Superior Court.

In Simon and Schuster, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled, among other points,
that the New York law was overbroad because it applied not only to
convicted offenders, but also to those simply accused of crimes. It also
noted the social value of some memoirs recounting the author's crimes -
such as the classic Autobiography of Malcolm X. In addition, the Court
noted that the Son of Sam law was suspect in that it specially targeted
First-Amendment-protected speech, as opposed to the many other ways
criminals might profit from their crimes.

Some states have amended their laws to respond to the constitutional
challenges - addressing the Court's concern about speech-targeting by
expanding their statutes to cover any profit received, directly or
indirectly, from crimes. For instance, Iowa targets "fruits of the crime."

These are defined as "any profit which, were it not for the commission of
the felony, would not have been realized." Oklahoma's amended law covers
"any proceeds or profits from any source, as a direct or indirect result
of the crime or sentence, or the notoriety which the crime or sentence has
conferred upon the defendant." Tennessee's law is broader and targets "all
income, from whatever source derived, which is owing to the defendant, or
representative or assignee of the defendant, after the date of the crime."

Other states, such as California, have taken a different approach: They've
passed legislation that allows the families of murder victims to bring
civil tort lawsuits (for wrongful death and for civil assault and battery,
for instance) against convicted killers, for longer periods of time (in
California, ten years). While such suits are not brought under laws that
specifically target crime proceeds, or notoriety proceeds, such proceeds
are among the sources of money that could be used to satisfy the
judgments.

Some states have also amended their laws, or enacted new legislation, to
specifically address "murderabilia." For example, California expanded the
state's "notoriety for profit" law to also impose an involuntary trust
upon the profits from any felony-crime-related memorabilia. Also in 2001,
Texas added to its "forfeiture of profits" statute a new category, profits
from the sale of tangible property, the value of which is increased by a
convicted person's notoriety. Victims are entitled under Texas law to
bring lawsuits to claim such property.

None of these state laws, however, targets a court-ordered auction for the
benefit of victims - which was just ordered in the Kaczynski case. In
other words, there is no state law that says that murderabilia cannot be
sold even if a court so orders, and even if the money goes to the victims,
not the culprit. Moreover, even if some state laws did say this, that
wouldn't stop the auction - it would only stop a sale at the auction to
residents of that state, or perhaps a sale by a company situated there.

Who will Auction the Memorabilia and Who Will Buy it?

Even if the sales are legal, which auctioneer will be willing to sell the
Unabomber's belongings? EBay, the world's largest Internet auction site
has changed its policy - in response to public pressure - to ban the sale
of murderabilia on its Website. Perhaps a site like supernaught.com will
step in - though it may be somewhat unseemly for the government to be
paying commission to such a site!

As for who will bid on the items, we will have to see. Kaczynski's
journals seem best suited in a government archive - where researchers can
pore over his writings, or government agents can spend time trying to
predict the behavior of a serial killer. A purchase by such an archive
might be the best solution.

(source: FindLaw -- Anita Ramasastry is an Associate Professor of Law at
the University of Washington School of Law in Seattle and a Director of
the Shidler Center for Law, Commerce & Technology. She has previously
written on business law, cyberlaw, computer data security issues, and
other legal issues for this site, which contains an archive of her
columns)

************

AT LARGE----Literalism blocks Bible's big picture

First Baptist Church of Watertown, N.Y., fired Mary Lambert for being a
woman. They say the Bible told them to do it.

Nothing against women, says the Rev. Timothy LaBouf. The church is just
trying to obey 1 Timothy 2:11-14, which says, in part, "A woman should
learn in quietness and full submission. I do not permit a woman to teach
or to have authority over a man; she must be silent.''

So, after 54 years as a Sunday school teacher at First Baptist, Lambert
was given the heave-ho a couple weeks ago. She and others have said the
firing probably had as much to do with church politics as with scriptural
injunctions, but let's stick with the stated reason as given in her letter
of dismissal: The Bible forbids women taking positions of authority. There
is, for the record, a similar injunction in 1 Corinthians 14:34-35, which
warns that it is ''disgraceful'' for a woman to speak in the church.

So the church is scripturally right. It's just not right right.

INTRIGUING

The Lambert case intrigues me because it illustrates a point I've made on
many occasions when people bring out Bibles to explain why gay folk
deserve no civil rights. Maybe now, without the reflexive emotionalism
that gay brings to cloud their view, a few more people will see the
obvious: Bible literalism is impractical and impossible. Or maybe they
won't see.

Allow me to share by way of example an e-mail I received last week from a
gentleman named Al who took exception to a column I wrote condemning
capital punishment. Said Al, ``When one criticizes the death penalty one
criticizes God's judgment in the matter, as scripture ordains death for
numerous crimes. It is not wise to criticize God.''

I shot back a note pointing out that among the crimes for which scripture
ordains death are cursing your parents (Lev. 20:9) or committing adultery
(Lev. 20:10). Did Al really believe those misdeeds should be treated as
capital offenses?

''Only if one wishes to accomplish God's will in the matter,'' said Al.

I don't mind telling you, people like him scare me.

A GOOD CHANGE

As it happens, one of America's greatest churchmen recently weighed in on
the question of Bible literalism. In a twilight-of-life interview with
Newsweek, Billy Graham spoke of the way age and perspective led him to
reject the absolutism of the left and right and to make his peace with the
notion of God as a loving mystery. People of faith, he said, can
''absolutely'' disagree about the details of theology. ''I'm not a
literalist in the sense that every single jot and tittle [of the Bible] is
from the Lord,'' he said. "This is a little difference in my thinking
through the years.''

It is a difference people like Al would do well to emulate.

Or has no one else noticed how literally some Christians interpret those
Scriptures that give them license to condemn, yet how elastic and liberal
their readings are when dealing with Scriptures that convict their
personal behaviors? Meaning that it's always a little more difficult to
catch people being literal about turn the other cheek, do not store up
treasures on earth, do not turn away the borrower, love your enemy.

Yet, you can't go to the store without tripping over someone who wants you
to know the Bible calls homosexuality an abomination.

MOST IMPORTANT THEMES

People obsess on the fine print, yet miss the big picture, the overarching
themes of sacrifice, redemption, love. In their selectivity, they are
reminiscent of the Islamic fanatics who bomb and behead, citing some
passage of the Koran as justification, yet conveniently ignoring a dozen
other passages commanding mercy and love. People are much less apt to be
selective in the direction of mercy and love.

I'll close by observing that Exodus 35:2 requires death for those who work
on the Sabbath. Were I a member of First Baptist, I might wonder where the
church leaders stand on that one.

Of course, I'd be scared to ask.

(source: Leonard Pitts Jr., Column, Miami Herald)

MISSISSIPPI:

Former Deputy of Harrison County, Mississippi Sheriff's Department Charged
in Death of Inmate

Ryan Michael Teel, a former deputy of the Harrison County, Miss. Sheriff's
Department, was indicted on charges relating to the circumstances
surrounding the death of an inmate, Jessie Lee Williams Jr., who died as a
result of injuries sustained at the Harrison County Adult Detention Center
on February 4, 2006. The 2-count criminal indictment was announced today
by Wan J. Kim, assistant attorney general of the Civil Rights Division and
Dunn Lampton, U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of Mississippi.

Count one of the indictment alleges that Teel assaulted Williams, thereby
depriving him of his constitutionally-protected civil rights. It is
further alleged that Teel's conduct involved an attempt to kill Williams,
resulting in his bodily injury and death.

The 2nd count alleges that Teel obstructed justice by falsifying an
official report with intent to obstruct an investigation into the assault
on Williams.

If convicted, Teel faces a maximum penalty of life in prison on count 1 of
the indictment, and a maximum penalty of 20 years in prison and a fine of
$250,000 on count 2.

A criminal indictment represents an accusation only, and that all criminal
defendants in every criminal case are entitled to the presumption of
innocence unless or until otherwise proven guilty.

Assistant Attorney General Kim and U.S. Attorney Lampton commended the
Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Mississippi Bureau of
Investigation for spearheading and devoting significant resources to this
investigation.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Jack Lacey, and Special Litigation Counsel Lisa
Krigsten and Trial Attorney John Richmond from the Civil Rights Division
are prosecuting this case for the government.

(source: U.S. Newswire)

PENNSYLVANIA:

Jury selection begins in death penalty case

Jury selection in the death penalty trial of Joseph Gacha begins this
morning before Luzerne County Judge Joseph Augello.

Gacha, 28 of Edwardsville, is charged with killing 20-year-old Carrie
Martin inside her Larksville home in May 2004.

Police say Gacha and Daniel Kukucka went to the home in search of drugs
and money. Martin was stabbed to death after she confronted the men. They
then fled the home with a locked box.

Kukucka later killed himself in prison. Prosecutors are seeking the death
penalty against Gacha, saying the homicide was perpetrated during the
commission of another crime, robbery.

(source: Times Leader)