March 1

USA:

Passionate cause is thriving----Sister Helen Prejean's anti-death penalty
story is now a stage play.

Sister Helen Prejean has seen herself portrayed repeatedly on film and on
stage.

And while that might go to a persons head, Prejean, 67, is about the least
pretentious media star youre likely to encounter.

"It's about me, but I'm like the prism through which the light comes,"
Prejean said by telephone from the Burbank Airport last weekend.

It began with Dead Man Walking, her nonfiction account of her ministry to
convicts on death row in Louisiana. It was on the best-seller charts for
31 weeks.

Then Tim Robbins adapted it as a film. Sean Penn played a fictional
convict, a composite of 2 of the real death-row inmates Prejean worked
with, and Prejean was played by Susan Sarandon, who won an Oscar for her
performance. It became an opera by composer Jake Heggie with a libretto by
playwright Terrence McNally.

And Prejean talked Robbins into adapting it as a stage play, which the
Avila University theater department is presenting this weekend.

"I remember I sat at the San Francisco Opera and there was Sister Helen
and she was singing, 'My journey, my journey, and I know it's taking the
people on this journey, too," Prejean said. "So I'm like an instrument or
a witness. I'm not trying to be overly humble in this. It's really the way
I feel. Because I know that before that ride is over they're gonna be
brought deep into the depths of that issue."

So every time the opera is produced, every time the play is staged, every
time someone rents the DVD, Prejean sees it all as a way to heighten the
death penalty in the public consciousness. She approached Robbins about
the idea of writing a stage version after reading an article about Arthur
Miller's "Death of a Salesman," which has been produced countless times
all over the world.

"I prevailed on him that for a year we would just let Jesuit schools do
it, and he agreed to that," she said. "And the understanding was that at
the end of that year he would take the play back."

Robbins was so impressed by the response of young people and the play's
ability to stir discussion in the community that he decided to continue
licensing it to schools. Now it's in its 3rd year.

"He knows the important thing is to get the discourse going and also to
start the educational process, she said. "Theater was always meant to deal
with the issues of the time and not just be this fantasy thing  It's using
the arts to bring people to deeper reflection. And the death penalty is so
hidden for most people  it's not a moral issue that affects most people
personally. And so this brings them close to the reality. You know, the
play is constructed just like the film. It brings you over to both sides.
It's not just a polemic against the death penalty."

Anyone else in Prejean's position would probably be enjoying the wealth
that comes from literary success.

"What do I do with money? I take the money and run," she cracked.

In reality she gives everything she earns to her order, the Sisters of St.
Joseph of Medaille.

"The sisterhood supports you in whatever you want to do," she said. "So it
gives you beautiful freedom. So whatever you make you turn back into the
sisterhood  for the needs of the community and the mission of the
community."

Critics of those who would do away with the penalty usually make a simple
argument: That society would be better off without housing and feeding
killers in prison.

Prejean, obviously, sees it another way.

If there were no death penalty, she said, society would benefit "because
then we don't engage ourselves in this protocol of death, of killing them,
and by even claiming the arrogance that we can decide who lives and who
dies."

Sustaining the death penalty doesnt make sense even if you look at it
simply as a matter of money.

"It takes huge amounts of resources to keep this death machine going," she
said. "And we could be putting that into life and preventing violence. We
know where the seeds of violence are, where they're given birth to in our
society, and we need to prevent it. We need to deal with at-risk kids, we
need to deal with homelessness, we need to deal with education, jobs,
people being addicted to drugs and alcohol."

It actually costs less to keep somebody in prison for life, she said. But
the bottom line is what is says about us as a society.

"The less we involve ourselves in making our social policy legalizing
torture and death, the better off we are as a people," she said. "We're
really not worthy of this thing. That's the main reason we need to get rid
of it."

in town

Sister Helen Prejean will do a book signing from 2 to 3:30 p.m. today at
Barnes and Noble at Town Center Plaza, 119th and Roe, Leawood. She will
also speak in a question- and-answer session after the opening night
performance of "Dead Man Walking" tonight at the Goppert Theatre at Avila
University, 11901 Wornall Road. The show begins at 8. Tonight's
performance is sold out, but tickets remain for performances at 8 p.m.
Friday and Saturday, and 2 p.m. Sunday. Tickets cost $10. Call (816)
501-3699.For more information go to prejean.org or dmwplay.org.

**********************

MARCH 1st is INTERNATIONAL DEATH PENALTY ABOLITION DAY

Citizens United for Alternatives to the Death Penalty (CUADP) Celebrating
160 Years Without Death Penalty

With judicial, legislative or executive moratoriums on executions in place
in at least eight states, March 1st, 2007, International Death Penalty
Abolition Day, brings with it not only a celebration of the past but an
indicator of the future. The death penalty in the United States is on its
way out.

Executions have been suspended, literally, from coast to coast, as Florida
and California grapple with the question of how to prevent botched lethal
injection executions. Other states have joined them in suspending
executions: Arkansas, Delaware, Maryland, Missouri, North Carolina and
Tennessee. Indeed, more than one third of the nation's approximately 3,350
people on death rows across the U.S. are in states where a moratorium
exists on carrying out the death penalty.

Abolition Day 2007 is the 160th anniversary of the date in 1847 when the
State of Michigan officially became the first English-speaking territory
in the world to abolish the death penalty.

"People in the United States are beginning to take a hard look at how our
criminal justice system is failing," said Bill Pelke, Chairman of the
National Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty and Founder of The Journey
of Hope ...From Violence to Healing. "As a former supporter of the death
penalty who has lost a loved one to murder, I know that anyone who
examines the system from a non-emotional standpoint will find that
economically, socially and morally, the practice of the death penalty is
bad public policy. Billions of dollars have been spent on the death
penalty in this country since 1972, for a net result of 1063 executions.
This is hardly a good return on that investment. Alternatives to the death
penalty exist that punish severely while protecting society, without more
killing."

Organizers of "Abolition Day" events point to the State of Michigan as an
example that viable alternatives to the death penalty exist. "They got rid
of the death penalty because they found that they could not trust
themselves to use it fairly, and they learned too late that they had
killed an innocent man," said Pelke. Michigan has been without the death
penalty for 160 years. The 1st act of their new legislature when Michigan
became a state was to abolish the death penalty.

"Politicians owe it to the people of this country to take a serious look
at the alternatives to the death penalty already in use across this
country," said Pelke. "Violent criminals can be punished, and society
protected, through the use of long-term prison sentences before a
convicted person can be considered for parole. It works in Michigan and in
other states like California, which has the oldest 'Life Without Parole'
(LWOP) statute in the country. Except for those who have been exonerated,
not one of the people sentenced to LWOP has been released. We are saying
to the people of our country, 'Don't make us become that which we deplore.
Don't kill in our names. We can do better.'"

(source: The Free Press)

************************

Death penalty moratorium takes political courage

While Sens. Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama were engaged in the first
official hissy fit (the technical term) of the 2008 presidential campaign,
another Democrat was actually engaged in a matter of important public
policy.

Just to recap: Clinton was furious because Hollywood mogul David Geffen
ridiculed her and former President Bill Clinton in an interview with
Maureen Dowd of The New York Times on the very day that Geffen was hosting
a fundraiser for Obama that reportedly brought $1.3 million to his
campaign. Before his conversion to Obama, Geffen had raised about $18
million for the former president.

The spat led to several days of coverage in a not-so-deep search for
deeper meaning about the state of the race and the state of the Clintons,
which, by the way, undoubtedly will be the campaign's ongoing soap opera
subtext.

Meanwhile, across the country in Annapolis, Md., another public drama was
playing out, and in this case, the stakes were not money, but life and
death.

Martin O'Malley, the youthful new governor, made an emotional plea to a
state Senate committee to repeal the death penalty in Maryland.

That is one long march from the scene at a 1988 presidential debate when
Michael Dukakis was pilloried for giving a lawyerly answer to a
hypothetical question about whether he would impose the death penalty on a
man who had raped and murdered his wife. Dukakis' dispassionate rejection
of capital punishment became a ready emblem for the Republican narrative
that Democrats were soft on crime.

>From that point on, most Democrats with higher ambitions rushed to be seen
as state-sanctioned Grim Reapers. None did it with as much flourish as
then-Arkansas Gov. Bill Clinton, who jetted back to his state just before
the New Hampshire primary to preside over the execution of Ricky Ray
Rector, a brain-damaged man who told prison officials he wanted to save
the dessert from his last meal until after his execution.

Few Democrats since have been willing to take forceful public action that
would make it appear as if they were not tough on criminals. In fact, it
was not until a Republican, former Illinois Gov. George Ryan, imposed a
moratorium on the death penalty that any movement to repeal capital
punishment statutes gained significant traction. In fact, O'Malley cited
during his testimony the 18 death row inmates who have been released in
Illinois after their innocence was proved.

O'Malley has been on the short list of rising Democratic stars for several
years. Telegenic, smart and the leader of his own Irish band, O'Malley's
March, he was mayor of Baltimore before being elected governor last
November. Before that, he had been chosen to speak at the Democratic
National Convention in 2004 and fortunately for him, in a very forgettable
time slot, given a delivery that dripped with emotion far more than
sincerity.

His push to repeal the death penalty is perhaps his highest-profile move
since taking office, and one that carries abundant political risk,
particularly because he is seen as a politician with national ambitions.

But on this issue, O'Malley is resolutely righteous, making a moral and
theological argument as much as a political or legal one to support his
thesis that the death penalty is neither a "just punishment" nor an
"effective deterrent" to murder.

"Notwithstanding the executions of the rightly convicted, can the death
penalty ever be justified, then, as public policy when it inherently
necessitates the occasional taking of a wrongly convicted and innocent
life?" he said. "Is any one of us willing to sacrifice a member of our own
family -- wrongly convicted, sentenced and executed -- in order to secure
the execution of five rightly convicted murderers? And even if we were,
could that public policy be called 'just'? I believe it cannot."

He was just getting wound up.

"Individual human dignity is the concept that leads brave individuals to
sacrifice their own lives for the lives of strangers," O'Malley said.
"Individual human dignity is the truth universal that is the basis of all
ethics. Individual human dignity is the fundamental belief upon which all
laws of this state and this republic are founded. And absent a deterrent
value, I truly believe that the damage done by our conscious communal use
of the death penalty to the concept of human dignity is greater than the
benefit of even a justly drawn retribution."

It was a gutsy approach, even in a heavily Democratic state. And O'Malley
will find out if his risk is rewarded. Maybe Geffen would bankroll the
movie.

(source: Post-Bulletin)

TENNESSEE:

International Death Penalty Abolition Day

We've done it before! We've raised our voices and our policy-makers have
heard. We've stayed executions and raised awareness of cases. But now
making our voices heard is more important than ever before. Our Governor
has temporarily stopped executions in the state, sparing four lives, but
with Phillip Workman still facing execution on May 9th, and over 100 human
beings in line behind him, it is crucial that we seize this political
opportunity. Join us on Thursday, March 1st and Make Our State Policy
Makers Hear Your Voice.

Write-a-thon to Halt Executions in our State!

Thursday, March 1st, 2007 6:30 - 9:00pm

Fido's Coffee Shop 1812 21st Ave So Nashville

Politicians pay the most attention to handwritten letters from their
constituents, so on March 1st we will gather to:

* Tell Governor Bredesen to free Paul House and extend his moratorium
until we can be sure that such an injustice will never occur again

* Tell our state representatives to support legislation for a full and
complete study of the death penalty and a moratorium until such a study is
complete

* Tell the Nashville delegation to the General Assembly that this must be
a priority!

This is the moment for Tennessee to act! Working together, we can build
political power and move our state legislators to stand up for justice.
But we need each and every person to take action.

Join us to raise our voices for justice International Death Penalty
Abolition Day, Thursday March 1st. Come for the whole evening, or as much
of the time as possible. We'll provide informational resources, pens,
paper, and stamps. You just bring yourself. Every letter counts!

"The death penalty is a public policy that fails victims, the accused and
our core constitutional value of fairness. The best solution is to use
alternatives and simply abolish the death penalty."

(source: Tennessee Independent Media Center)

CALIFORNIA:

Keeping hope alive----Professor edits the essays and memoirs

Tom Kerr leaned back in his office chair and listened to the recording of
a poem from his faculty Web site one afternoon in January. A long-limbed,
silver-haired man whose lined mouth is quick to smile, Kerr said he was
disturbed and saddened by the poems unpolished verse.

"It's intense," said the assistant professor of writing. "There's a rough
quality I want to preserve, not smooth over."

But the voice coming from Kerr's computer was not his own. It belonged to
Steve Champion, a 47-year-old former gang member incarcerated on death row
at San Quentin State Prison in San Quentin, Calif. Kerr has helped
Champion revise and prepare his memoirs for the past 4 years. One
publisher contacted Kerr to express interest in an account of Champion's
life prior to his incarceration, Kerr said, which he and Champion are in
the process of writing.

Kerr's relationship with Champion began in 2003, when Kerr taught a senior
seminar at Ithaca College on the U.S. prison system, which required
communication with inmates across the country. Champion was among the 40
prisoners who responded to Kerr's request. He sent essays with his letter
to Kerr and asked for the professors help in compiling a book.

Kerr flew to California the following summer to meet Champion in San
Quentin. Kerr agreed to help create his memoirs, a collection detailing
Champions double homicide conviction and the 25 years he has served in
prison. Champion does not discuss the crime for which he was convicted in
his essays, reflecting instead on his life in prison.

"We connected," Kerr said. "He trusted me."

Last year, Kerr won the Rachel Cory Award at the Conference on College
Composition and Communication for his work on the memoirs. The award is
given by Long Island University for those who take professional risks to
fight for justice.

Kerr, who has taught at the college since 2001 and received tenure last
week, has also carried his project with Champion into the classroom. He
said 2 of his students, Emily Paulsen 05 and junior Elizabeth Muse, helped
edit Champions poems and essays, and sometimes helped transcribe them from
recordings Champion made over the phone.

Muse, a writing major who transcribed Champion's essay "Becoming a Writer
in Prison" from a recording Champion made over the phone, said Champion's
writing made her more aware of the prison system.

"Here is a man who has [committed], or at least has been convicted of,
heinous crimes  but he writes beautifully," she said. "These men and women
should be able to show their work and Tom [Kerr] is helping them have a
voice."

Kerr said he has spent the last 6 months searching for an agent willing to
publish Champion's writing. He said some publishers want Champions essays
rewritten, while others are hesitant to manage the project because of the
publics potential reaction to a prisoner portrayed with sympathy.

Though Kerr acknowledges many projects like this are ghostwritten, he said
it was not how he wanted to approach Champion's writing.

"If I rewrite it, where's his voice?" Kerr said. "What's the point?"

Kerr said he knows not everyone wants to hear Champion's story, and said
he posts the hate mail he receives about the project on his office door.
The letters criticize Kerr for sympathizing with a death row inmate and
supporting abolishment of capital punishment,he said.

Fred Wilcox, associate professor of writing, said Kerr's work sends a
valuable message about prisoner reformation.

"Tom is trying to show it's possible for people to be rehabilitated,"he
said. "If [Champion] can do that, if people can be rehabilitated, it
should be very inspiring."

Kerr said he values his work and his relationship with Champion.

"We've been good friends," he said. "He relies on me to keep hope alive."

(source: The Ithacan----Tom Kerr, assistant professor of writing, teaches
an academic writing class yesterday in Williams 314. For the past 4 years,
Kerr has worked with a prisoner on death row to create a memoir of life in
prison----Ithaca College, New York)

*****************

Panel lays into lethal injection

In a panel discussion before the Marin County Bar Association on
Wednesday, lawyer John Grele said the state continues to rely on a method
of execution less humane than the chemicals veterinarians use to euthanize
dogs and cats.

While doctors put animals "to sleep" using a single chemical, corrections
officials use a combination of 3 to execute criminals. One of these
chemicals, pancuronium bromide, is a paralyzing agent, which stops all
muscle movement except the heart. Grele, who represents death row prisoner
Michael Angelos Morales, has argued that use of the drug makes it
difficult to tell whether prisoners are in pain during their execution.

"Applying a paralytic prevents us from seeing the death, so we can't tell
whether the inmate is suffering," Grele said. "That takes away our ability
to see what we have decided to do as a society."

conduct a thorough review of its lethal injection methods. Gov. Arnold
Schwarzenegger has said the state will present a revised execution
procedure by May 15. The case has attracted national interest, with
officials in other states calling for qualified medical supervision of
executions.

"It's rare that we have the opportunity to talk about an issue as
important as the one we're talking about today, which has huge local
significance and is equally important on a national scale," said Jeffrey
Lerman, president of the Marin bar.

The death penalty remains popular with 63 % of Californians, according to
a 2006 Field poll. Yet Grele said he believes fewer people would support
state-sponsored executions if they understood what the process was really
like.

"The way in which the state kills has not been subjected to a great deal
of scrutiny," Grele said. "The more light we shed on this government
procedure, the more questions arise about it."

In investigating Morales' case, Grele found that state executioners were
not trained anesthesiologists, and that they were not prepared to deal
with problems that took place during executions, such as difficulties
inserting an intravenous drip during the 2005 execution of Stanley
"Tookie" Williams.

"The prison system deserves the scrutiny it's getting, and not just about
lethal injections," Grele said. "A lot of the problems at San Quentin,
such as health care and overcrowding, translate into problems with lethal
injections as well."

Not everyone is prepared to empathize with convicted killers. But Rabbi
Lavey Derby, who joined Grele for Wednesday's panel discussion, said
providing a humane death is a moral imperative.

"Why should we care if criminals receive a less painful death?" asked
Derby, a member of Congregation Kol Shofar in Tiburon. "To fulfill the
biblical commandment to love our neighbor as ourselves. If that
commandment is applied - as it must be - to people who commit the most
heinous acts, it requires that the means to carry out executions must
respect the dignity of the individual, even if that individual would not
have treated others that way."

Episcopal priest Bruce Bramlett agreed, pointing out that Christians
define themselves as the followers of an innocent man - Jesus - who was
executed for his crimes by the state.

"Christians believe that no one is beyond redemption," said Bramlett,
former rector at St. Paul's Episcopal Church in San Rafael. "Our basic
value system is that everyone is made in the image of God, and that in
each of us exists a spark of the divine."

Bramlett said his experiences observing executions at San Quentin
reinforced his belief that the death penalty is cruel and unusual
punishment.

"I watched one execution - the state wouldn't claim that it was botched,
but it was," Bramlett said. "It took well over 40 minutes for that man to
be killed. That isn't right."

Grele said he believes veterinarians and those who euthanize terminally
ill patients provide more humane care for their clients than do state
corrections officials. But he's not about to recommend their practices to
the state.

"My role is not to advocate for a better way to kill my client," Grele
said.

Wednesday's meeting of the Marin bar was moderated by Independent Journal
opinion editor Doug Bunnell and held at the Seafood Peddler restaurant in
San Rafael.

(source: Marin Independent Journal)

MARYLAND:

If death penalty goes, who protects guards?

Flashing a sign that reflects the moral and practical complexity of the
issue, Sen. Alex Mooney has talked of offering an amendment that might
persuade him to vote for repeal of Maryland's death penalty.

Even those who are -- excuse the expression -- diehard opponents or
proponents of capital punishment should find such an amendment difficult
to resist.

Specifically, as reported by The Sun, the amendment would repeal the death
penalty for virtually all other crimes but would make it still available
in a case involving the murder of a prison guard by an inmate already
serving a life sentence who, in the absence of capital punishment, might
figure there was nothing to lose.

At last week's Annapolis hearing before the Senate Committee on Judicial
Proceedings, the basic arguments for and against repeal were rolled out by
a platoon of earnest witnesses on each side.

Much of the pro-repeal reasoning was offered by Gov. Martin O'Malley, who
shrugged off suggestions that being out front on such an emotionally
charged issue was bound to cost him political capital. In effect, he
invited us to delve into the soul and renounce a practice that drags
society down to the same level of barbarity that impels a murderer to take
another's life.

The proponents' arsenal of arguments included this combination of
statistics and passion:

*Studies have shown that capital punishment is no clear-cut deterrent to
someone about to kill another human.

*Inevitably, the state will sometimes err and execute an innocent person
instead of the actual perpetrator. Advances in forensic science, such as
DNA comparisons and digitally enhanced photography, have led to proof of
wrongful conviction and even execution at a disturbing rate.

*Given the usual delay in carrying out a death sentence because of
mandatory review, appeal and procedural requirements, capital punishment
costs the state more than a sentence of life without parole. Since 1978,
O'Malley said, executions have cost Maryland more than $22 million --
enough to hire 500 more police officers or to treat 10,000 drug addicts.

Supporters of the death penalty traditionally cite reasons such as these,
some of which were presented at the hearing:

*Particularly heinous crimes, such as the rape-murder of children, call
for the ultimate penalty.

*Nothing short of capital punishment can shield society from career
criminals specializing in contract murder or from deranged serial killers.

*In the hands of competent prosecutors, the death penalty is an effective
tool to protect potential victims of killers.

But any change in the death penalty law should still leave room to protect
correctional officers.

(source: MyWebPal.com)

*******************

Bishop urges death penalty ban

A US bishop has testified to a Senate Judicial hearing to call for an end
to the death penalty in the state of Maryland.

Auxilliary Bishop of Baltimore Denis Madden addressed the Senate Judicial
Proceedings and House Judiciary committees hearing to support a bill that
would replace the death penalty with life sentences without parole.

"The teachings of our church recognise the right of legitimate government
to resort to capital punishment, but directly challenge the
appropriateness of government's doing so in a society that is capable of
defending the public order and ensuring the publics safety," said Bishop
Madden.

The Maryland Court of Appeals recently issued a moratorium on the death
penalty and the state must now choose whether to repeal it entirely.

Maryland has executed 83 men since the death penalty was introduced in
1923.

(source: Total Catholic)

PENNSYLVANIA:

Shamokin man's execution OK'd

In Harrisburg, Gov. Ed Rendell on Wednesday signed a warrant authorizing
the execution of a man convicted of shooting to death his victim during a
robbery.

The execution by lethal injection of Kevin J. Marinelli, 34, of
Northumberland County was scheduled for April 26.

He was sentenced to die in 1995 for killing Conrad Dumchock, 35, during a
robbery in Dumchock's Kulpmont home.

Dumchock was in bed sleeping on April 26, 1994, when Mr. Marinelli, his
brother Mark and Thomas Kirchoff, all of the Shamokin area, broke into the
Dumchock home, beat Mr. Dumchock and stole guns and electronic equipment
before shooting him twice in the head.

In 2003, Mr. Marinelli wrote Northumberland County Judge William Harvey
Wiest to ask to be allowed to represent himself in order to speed up his
death sentence.

Several days later, he wrote a 2nd letter to the judge saying that he had
spoken with his attorney and wanted to continue to appeal his death
sentence.

Gov. Rendell has signed 64 death warrants, but no executions have been
carried out during his four years in office.

3 people have been executed since the state reinstated the death penalty
in 1978, and all had voluntarily ended their appeals. As of Feb. 1, there
were 216 men and 5 women on Pennsylvania's death row.

(source: The Daily Item)

**************

DA won't seek death penalty against mother, son in shooting death

Prosecutors said they will not seek the death penalty against a man and
his mother accused in the fatal shooting of another man during an
argument.

Blake Anthony Donald, 20, of Johnstown, is accused of shooting Stephen
Travis Smith, 24, at Smith's Johnstown boarding house on Oct. 15 during a
confrontation that included Donald's mother, Jacqueline Webb, 41.

Police said Webb allegedly told them she and Smith had an intimate
relationship and he had beaten her earlier that day.

Webb helped cover up the shooting, police said.

Donald and Webb pleaded not guilty at their formal arraignment Wednesday.

Cambria County District Attorney Patrick Kiniry said none of the
aggravating circumstances that can support capital punishment fits the
facts of this case.

Webb's attorney, David Beyer, has filed a petition to have the charges
dismissed.

"We just feel there is no evidence to tie her to any crime," he said.
"We're basically asking the judge to hold another hearing and throw out
the case."

Donald's attorney, John Kasaback, said he would file a similar motion.

Webb and Donald were in the county jail.