Sept. 11

POLAND:

Poland vetoes the European Day against the death penalty

Poland has used its power of veto to prevent October 10 from being
declared "European Day against the death penalty". Jacek Holwska, a
philosopher at Warsaw University, writes: "In my opinion the protest
against the European day against the death penalty was aimed at forcing
the states of Western Europe to change their stance on abortion and
euthanasia. This moral blackmail seems uncalled for. It exploits human
life for political purposes. The government seems to be saying - although
it won't admit it - that we would agree to ban the death penalty if
abortion and euthanasia are banned at the same time... You can't seriously
argue that the moral status of a foetus is equal to that of an adult
person - although you can state that both were created by God. For
agnostics and atheists this argument is irrelevant."

(source: Courier International)