Nov. 25

IDAHO:

Judge tosses Duncan appeal

Defense attorneys charged that the FBI plied Joseph Duncan with milkshakes
and gifts to manipulate him into not appealing his death sentence, but a
federal judge rejected that charge Monday and tossed out the appeal.

Duncan's standy attorneys had filed the appeal without his permission.

U.S. District Judge Edward Lodge told Duncan: "The right to appeal is
possessed by you and you alone."

He noted that Duncan still has until Friday to file an appeal of his death
sentence, and he's free to change his mind until that point.

Sentenced to death 3 times for the 2005 kidnapping, sexual exploitation
and murder of a 9-year-old Coeur d'Alene boy, Duncan is entitled to one
review of his death sentence by the federal Court of Appeals. But Duncan,
who acted as his own attorney in his capital sentencing trial, said in
court Monday, "My choice is not to appeal."

He had also filed a letter with the court saying, "If any appeal is
initiated on my behalf it is done contrary to my wishes."

Judy Clarke, who is leading Duncan's standby legal team, told the court
the government had "manipulated" Duncan on his appeal decision, in part by
providing him with milkshakes and other enticements during jailhouse
visits.

FBI Special Agent Michael Gneckow said in court documents that he and
another agent have met with Duncan 5 times at his Ada County Jail cell
since the death sentences were handed down Aug. 27.

Gneckow said he was following up on a written offer Duncan made to
prosecutors to answer questions about his 2005 crimes; the first meeting
lasted nearly 8 hours, and Duncan told the agents at that time that he'd
welcome more such discussions.

Lodge said he was making no ruling on the question of whether a 3rd party,
such as the standby attorneys, can file an appeal for the defendant. Only
the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals could address that question, he
said. However, he said he's within his authority to dismiss the attorneys'
notice of appeal if it had been filed without the defendant's permission.

When Clarke disagreed, the judge told her, "I'm confident the 9th Circuit
will have answers to each one of your questions," and he adjourned the
hearing.

If Duncan waives his appeals, his execution likely would come much sooner,
because appeals can delay executions by years. In addition to 3 death
sentences, Duncan's also been sentenced to 9 life terms in prison for his
2005 crimes, in which his attack on a North Idaho family left 4 people
dead.

Riverside County, Calif., also is seeking a death sentence against Duncan
for a 1997 child abduction and slaying there.

(source: Spokesman Review)

USA:

The Black/Afrikan community and the death penalty

"Had it not been for slavery, the death penalty would have likely been
abolished in America. Slavery became a haven for the death penalty. In
Virginia, before the end of slavery, there was only one crime for which a
white person could be executed. But there were 66 crimes for which a slave
could be executed." - Sis. Angela Davis, 2003

Statistical data is abundant that the criminal justice system, from arrest
through sentencing, impacts Black/Afrikan and Latino defendants the
harshest, and the death penalty is, of course, no exception.(1) Although
some political activists will concede the racist, classist and political
aspects of the death penalty in specific cases, we continue to remain
uninvolved in the larger struggle to abolish it completely.

Black activists must dialogue and challenge that mindset within our ranks,
or we continue to risk that far too many of our brothers and sisters -
such as Bro. Gregory (Ajamu) Resnover, Bro. Ziyon Yisrayah, Bro. Shaka
Sankofa and potentially Bro. Troy Davis, Bro. Mumia Abu-Jamal and many
more - will be wiped off of the planet. If we stand against racist
oppression, we must fully understand that we are all under potential
threat of life - unwritten death - sentences or straight up legalized
lynching.

We must include the abolition of the death penalty as a major plank of all
of our platforms. No more treating capital punishment as a back burner
issue and dismissing it as a largely white movement!

Most people in the Black/Afrikan community very understandably worry more
about our children being killed on the streets than by lethal injection.
We are so devastated by government-sponsored drugs, increased violence,
murders and heartache that discussions around the uneven application of
the death penalty are a glaring non-issue when our people live on the
frontlines of these war zones.

Each day we hear and read of horror stories that fill us with disbelief,
anguish and rage; we all share in the deep sorrow of senseless acts of
violence and murder and want to tightly embrace those most closely
affected. Many of us want an eye for an eye and so readily identify with
being victimized that we even support the executions of juveniles and the
mentally disabled in particularly gruesome incidences. It also seems a
preposterous topic to raise because most people just cant foresee that any
member of our immediate families could ever face a death sentence.

But when this system offers to murder on our behalf, we must understand
that it carries a double-edged sword: Many may believe in the execution of
one, but be horrified at the prospect of the execution of another.
Unfortunately, we are not given the luxury to pick and choose once we
support state-sanctioned murder.

"I must admit that at times I wonder and question the intentions and
knowledge of the death penalty activists (abolishers) who are horrified
and oppose the killing of human beings, but who are not horrified at the
very system in its totality, which renders such biased and unjust
sentences upon its citizens and which contributes to the dehumanizing of
its citizens. I say in turn that it's not just the death penalty which
must be overturned, but the whole institution of criminal justice as we
know it must be overturned." - From "What Is a Death Sentence?" by Bro.
Adullah Hameen, who was legally lynched by the State of Delaware on May
25, 2001

We can't advocate against the death penalty and expect people to be able
to feel where we're coming from without talking about the prison
industrial complex in its entirety, the cradle to prison pipeline. While
the vast majority of us very definitely agree with addressing the
much-needed healing within our collective family and reclaiming our
community from violence from within, we must also deal with increased
police aggression against our children in the form of violent police
terror attacks and their snatching up of our children, some even at
elementary school ages!

The oppression of the Black community via the criminal justice system and
its agents intensifies by the day as prison cells are inhumanely
overcrowded and the prison warehouses are bursting at their seams. The
police attacks that lead to incarcerations can now be more openly viewed
in all their sick glory via the internet with its videos and on-the-scene
accounts, putting their hate speech, beatings, shootings and murders on
full blast before the world.

We are also all too familiar with the massive oversentencing of Blacks vs.
their white counterparts, manufactured evidence, tortured confessions,
deliberate confusion and lies and even more. Our children are seen as
sub-human, easily manipulated, undomesticated and unemployable, sent down
a conveyor belt straight to these dungeons and thus insuring the financing
of their own encagement.

State and private prisons are among the largest employers in many towns
and the profiteers are plentiful, including the phone companies and the
many, many corporations who provide and receive untold services and
benefits from these hellholes. It is mindblowing.

Organizers are too often painted as "siding with criminals" when
addressing the disparities within the system and at times are even accused
of being in denial about inmates' culpability in the commission of crimes.
After all, they will argue, they did wrong, they knew they were doing
wrong and they should pay!

Even though many folks will concede that some captives may be innocent, at
least of lesser counts than those with which theyve been charged, and that
some belong in drug or psychiatric treatment and not prison, and that of
course some are becoming more hardened and callous than when they went in,
and that yes some will be raped, beaten, tortured, enslaved for corporate
profit while in prison and even killed - the bottom line for many remains
that our community cannot be seen as making excuses for crime, a la Bill
Cosby. As a result, many of our brothers and sisters will advocate even
harsher punishments than the system already has in place and mimic those
who would call for the jailing of our children for "crimes" such as
wearing sagging pants or violation of noise ordinances.

We still yet believe that this system's laws are designed to protect us,
when nothing could be further from the truth! When presented with evidence
that the death penalty is race- and class-based and not evenly applied,
many will respond that yes, it needs to made fair, but it doesn't need to
be gotten rid of, not in all cases. Unfortunately, however, this system's
very foundation of racism and corruption can never be reformed or "made
fair," so it definitely cannot be trusted to determine who lives and who
dies!

"As I sit here on my bed, exhausted yet full of joy and uncertainty,
feeling the affects of seven and a half years of constant chemotherapy, I
am reflecting on the day of Sept. 23, 2008, as we entered the grounds of
the Georgia Diagnostic and Classification Prison, where I wanted to cry
but I could not; I wanted to yell but I could not; I wanted to leave but I
could not. Then I watched the expression on my sons face, that for the
first time in his 14 years of visiting death row, he witnessed more than
100 SWAT, Tactical Squad officers, corrections officers with dozens of
dogs, shotguns in hand, all because the state of Georgia wants to kill his
Uncle Troy. I have only seen such force on television from the civil
rights era." - from "Silencing our Joy" by Sis. Martina Correia, sister of
innocent death row prisoner, Troy Davis, Sept. 25, 2008

When addressing the needs of families of victims of crime, we must include
the families of death row inmates. They are among the most underserved and
unspoken of as they, too, cope with the tremendous depression suffered by
all grief-stricken victims. These families, adults and children, are
barely able to function while on the dizzying legal rollercoaster leading
up to their family members date with death.

Some are treated as pariahs within their own community while struggling to
carry on with work and school - simultaneously acting as their loved ones
source of emotional and financial support, traveling sometimes incredibly
long distances to visit through glass or even by video, gouged by
outrageously over-priced phone calls and advocating for these inmates with
inadequate legal representatives(2), politricians and god-complexed prison
officials. These families are not offered comfort or treated with even the
most basic human dignity.

Capital punishment is itself premeditated murder! Its about keeping alive
this countrys bloodthirsty passion for legalized lynching, a passion which
they will fight to feed even in the face of overwhelming innocence,
recantations of perjured testimony, even to the point where an unhealthy
inmate will be cured just so that they can be healthy enough to be
murdered on death day!

But how many police officers and/or other officials were given the death
penalty for the terrorist murders of 11 members of the MOVE family - men,
women and children - when police dropped a BOMB on their home in
Philadelphia on May 13, 1985?! How many police officers and/or other
officials are given the death penalty for the murders of people in our
communities, period? That is unacceptable! Their badges, guns, tasers and
titles do not give them the right to murder our people with impunity - on
the streets or in their prison death chambers!

The good news is that more and more community activists, and most
significantly our creative and genius-filled young brothers and sisters,
are not only adopting a community-wide view that eclipses the media and
societal pressure to be consumed with self and self alone, but even
understanding the broader significance of our peoples global struggle for
liberation and self-determination!

There exists an incredible potential to seize the time and build a strong
anti-death penalty contingent within our organizations and/or to make
certain that a representative of our groups becomes involved with existing
anti-DP organizing in our area, lest we continue to scramble and scurry
when emergencies arise. There is an immediate need for education and
discussion around the issue of capital punishment and there is an
abundance of anti-DP information on and off-line to be disseminated within
any gathering of our people.

Furthermore, these politricians have to be made to feel that their
continued allegiance to capital punishment will negatively impact their
careers, and so will anyone else who purports to act as a religious or
other type of representative spokesperson for our communities.

Addressing police and prison issues is critical to rebuilding grassroots
activism in any real and meaningful way, and the issue of state sponsored
murder is a crucial part of that. This is the system that far too many of
our families are touched by and, as Bro. Hameen wrote, not just the death
penalty but "the whole institution of criminal justice as we know it must
be overturned." We must make it "un-hip" to be down with the death
penalty, particularly amongst our own ranks!

ABOLISH THE RACIST, CLASSIST DEATH PENALTY! FORWARD EVER!