Jan. 22

CALIFORNIA:

Death penalty sought against Marines accused of murder----District
attorney: Decision 'wasn't a close call'

Calling the murder of a Marine and his wife in their Winchester home last
year brutal and savage, District Attorney Rod Pacheco on Wednesday said he
will seek the death penalty for 4 Marines accused of killing the couple.

"They each played their own horrific part in the savagery that occurred in
that house," Pacheco said. "These 4 guys crossed the line between life
without parole and the death penalty. It wasn't a close call."

Lance Cpl. Emrys John, 19; Lance Cpl. Tyrone Miller, 21; Lance Cpl. Kesaun
Sykes, 21; and Pvt. Kevin Cox, 21, each have been charged with fatally
shooting Marine Sgt. Jan Pietrzak, 24, and his wife, Quiana Faye
Jenkins-Pietrzak, 26, at their home Oct. 15.

Riverside County sheriff's homicide investigators have said both victims
were bound, gagged and shot at least twice in the head.

All 4 men are charged with 2 counts of murder, each with
special-circumstance allegations of committing multiple murders,
committing the crime during a robbery, and rape by instrument, according
to Riverside County Superior Court records. Investigators believe the
defendants targeted the couple to rob them.

Parts of the 2-story home had been ransacked and belongings, including
jewelry, were stolen from the Pietrzaks, authorities said at the time.

Each of the men has pleaded not guilty to all charges. A hearing to
determine if the four should face trial is tentatively scheduled for
February.

Their attorneys could not be reached for comment Wednesday on Pacheco's
decision to seek the death penalty.

The 4 defendants were assigned to Camp Pendleton and 2 of them, Miller and
John, worked directly for the Marine they are accused of killing.

They all remain in custody, held without the possibility of bail, jail
records state.

Pacheco said many factors were involved in making his decision, including
the pleas of about 20 family members and close friends of the Pietrzaks, a
majority of whom called for the ultimate punishment when they met with the
district attorney Wednesday.

The parents of the slain couple could not be reached for comment
Wednesday, but Pacheco said that during his meeting with their family and
friends, much of the conversation dwelled on the kindness of the Pietrzaks
and their deep love for each other.

"They had this tremendous love for each other and they were so young," he
said.

"On the other hand, I know what these 4 guys did, the brutality of it, the
savagery of it, the horrific nature of their actions. You couldn't have 2
things further apart."

The Pietrzaks were a mixed-race couple and all 4 men accused are black,
causing some to allege the crime was racially motivated. But homicide
investigators dismissed that notion, saying that even though a racial slur
was found spray-painted inside the Pietrzaks' home after the murders, it
was done to throw off the investigation.

"The official motive is borne out by the special circumstances," Pacheco
said.

"Financial gain, double murders, robbery, burglary, and rape with a
foreign object. That is a fair description of the motives that we will be
able to prove."

In a recent New York Daily News article, Henryka Pietrzak-Varga, the
mother of Jan Pietrzak, called for the death penalty.

"They will get as much sympathy from me as they gave my son and my
beautiful Quiana, which is none," Henryka Pietrzak-Varga told the Daily
News on Monday. "I will ask for the highest punishment possible, and
that's the death penalty. For what they did, for what they took from us,
let them pay with their lives."

She said she wrestled with her decision.

"I had problems with this as a Catholic," said Pietrzak-Varga, who lives
in Bensonhurst. "But death is death, murder is murder, and for this they
deserve punishment. They didn't give them a chance to say goodbye, to say
a final 'I love you.'"

Court records indicate that authorities believe John fired the fatal
shots, but Pacheco said all of the men played major roles in the crimes.

There will be no plea bargains available, either, he said.

"We don't plea bargain death penalty cases," Pacheco said. "I made that
very clear to family members. We are going to do the right thing here."

Currently, the death penalty is under scrutiny in California as lawmakers
and judges grapple with whether lethal injection is cruel and unusual
punishment and other issues. The last time someone was executed in the
state was 2006.

"The death penalty is broken right now, but we intend to fix it," Pacheco
said.

"Our office is leading the way for an initiative to be on the ballot in
2010 to expedite the death penalty, to make it work more efficiently and
fairly."

(source: North County Times)

NEBRASKA:

Prosecutors Drop Death Penalty Against Man Accused In Double Slaying

Prosecutors dropped 8 charges against a man accused in a double murder in
Lincoln last year as part of a plea deal.

They also won't seek the death penalty for Brandon Crago, 34, who pleaded
no contest to 2 counts of 1st-degree murder.

Crago is accused in the shooting deaths of Carolyn and Steven Bailey in
their rural Lancaster County home.

Deputy County Attorney Joe Kelly said the deal is partly a result of the
uncertainty over the death penalty in Nebraska.

Last February, the Nebraska Supreme Court ruled the use of the electric
chair unconstitutional. Next week, lawmakers have scheduled a public
hearing on changing the state's method of execution to lethal injection.

Crago is set to be sentenced on Feb. 27.

(source: KETV News)

NEW HAMPSHIRE:

Lawmaker Shoots to Expand Death Penalty

House lawmakers heard testimony on legislation today to expand the state's
death penalty.

It's one of a few bills this year that deals with capital punishment.

Compared to other states, the list of crimes that warrant the death
penalty in this state is pretty narrow right now.

It includes the murder of judges and law enforcement officials, as well as
murder for hire, murder connected to certain drug offenses and murder
before during or after rape.

Keene Representative Delmar Burridge wants to add murder by firearm while
engaged in a felony like a robbery.

Burridge told Criminal Justice Committee members that murders continue to
rise and police solve fewer and fewer crimes.

He believes threatening would be murderers with a firing squad would be a
more effective deterrent than lethal injection.

TAPE: we have anesthetized the idea of killing to make it seem more
palpable. First we had a rope, then we had a guy be far away, throw the
switch, AC or DC. Then we had the gas chamber, picture it there....urgh,
urgh, urgh. For folks who use a gun, they know what that's about....they
think they are going to get the same thing back, that might just work.

New Hampshire ACLU Executive Director Claire Ebel admitted she was
surprised by the legislation.

TAPE: I had to read it 2 or 3 times to make sure I wasn't imagining
things.

Ebel- who on principle opposes the death penalty- says she can't figure
out the rationale for the measure.

TAPE: strangulation. Stabbing, cutting someone's throat and watching them
bleed to death, torturing them to death. I would find all of those equally
reprehensible. And so I don't see any reason to consider that more heinous
than any of the other ways we could kill someone.

Undoubtedly, if this measure passed state costs would soar.

Over the past 30 years the state has averaged about 19 murders a year.

The Public Defender says it takes about $50,000 dollars to defend a
homicide case.

To put the potential price tag in context, the public defender has already
spent about 1 million dollars to defend Michael Addison...and that doesn't
include forthcoming appeals.

Given the state's budget problems, bills that require new spending dont
have a great shot this session.

Defense Attorney Michael Iacopino says if lawmakers want to take action on
the death penalty they should support one of the study bills that have
been filed.

He says given Addison's verdict and John Brooks life in prison sentence,
there's increased urgency to address the policy.

TAPE: NH went the same way, if you read the studies from all over the
country, was predictable. A rich white guy, eh would escape with his life.
Whereas a young black male would get the death penalty...I am not
attributing any bad notions to anybody, but thats the way the death
penalty works.

13-term state Representative David Welch- who long headed up the House
Criminal Justice Committee- is a co-sponsor of one of the study bills.

Welch supports the death penalty as is, but believes it should be
thoroughly considered given the punishment's severity.

He says just because a jury has sentenced someone to death for the first
time in almost 50 years doesn't mean the system is broken.

TAPE: If we have an execution here in this state. It will put a whole new
spin on it....those who are opposed to the death penalty will feel
energized and a lot of people who are neither here nor there would get
caught up in that.

Welch's study bill will likely be heard in the next several weeks.

As for the firing squad bill, the Committee chair says it's safe to say
the measure will die a quick death.

(source: Dan Gorenstein, NHPR)

ARIZONA----new death sentence

Man gets death penalty for killing step-daughter

A Glendale man who shot and killed his 13-year-old step-daughter in 1998
was given the death penalty last week.

County Attorney Andrew Thomas announced that Wayne Benoit Prince, 37, was
found guilty Aug. 24, 1999 of one count of 1st-degree murder and 1 count
of attempted first degree murder, and last week, a jury returned the
verdict of death.

The charges were a result of a March 25, 1998 domestic violence argument
that turned deadly.

The defendant shot his step-daughter, Cassandra Parker, and his wife,
Christie Prince. Christie survived, but has residual problems from the
wound to the back of head and jaw. Cassie died.

The jury returned its verdict Jan. 15 following an earlier trial to
consider the aggravating factors for the death penalty. The new trial was
prompted by the Arizona Supreme Court's Ring vs. Arizona ruling.

The prosecution had requested the death penalty because of 2 aggravating
factors.

One, the murder was committed in an especially heinous, cruel, or depraved
manner, and 2, the defendant was an adult at the time of the crime and the
victim was under 15 years of age.

According to court records, Prince and his wife were having a violent
verbal argument that turned physical, when he punched her in the head and
rammed her head into a wall.

He then picked up a gun that the couple kept in their Glendale townhouse
and threatened to kill her, the children, and then himself.

When his 13-year-old step-daughter attempted to flee the apartment, Prince
locked the door and prevented her from leaving.

His wife tried to reason with him, but was punched in the face again.

Prince then covered the gun with a pillow, walked up to Cassie, put the
gun against her head, and shot her.

When his wife broke a window to call for help, he shot her on the side of
the face. Prince then fled and hid in a vacant apartment, where he was
arrested by police.

"This verdict represents a just punishment for the defendant," Thomas
said. "It is unfortunate that the victim's family had to wait so long for
this case to come to a close."

Deputy County Attorney Cleve Lynch prosecuted the case.

(source: Glendale Star)

TENNESSEE:

Court upholds Dellinger death penalty on appeal

In Nashville, the Tennessee Supreme Court has rejected an appeal from a
death row inmate who claimed he had ineffective counsel.

James A. Dellinger, who was convicted in the 1992 shooting death of Tommy
Griffin, had identified a number of issues on which he said his conviction
and sentence should have been reversed, claiming problems with imposing
the state's death penalty law among his points.

The court, which filed the ruling Thursday upholding an appeals court
judgment, said Dellinger's death sentence shall be carried out June 3.

Griffin's body was found with a shotgun wound at the base of his skull.
Shells found at the scene matched fired shells found in Dellinger's yard.

Another Tennessee death row inmate, Steve Henley, is scheduled to be
executed next month.